The value of "lofting"

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Moderator: Moderators

The value of "lofting"

Post by Arpangel »

I "lofted" a few things, a few months ago, when I was feeling a bit "wobbly" I gave myself a set of restrictions, and instead of selling some items, I just put them in the loft and forgot about them, I was still able to make the music I make, with no detriment.
Now, I feel like I want to use them again, the good bit is that I’ve actually forgotten all about them, completely, so it’s going to be like opening new things, there’s a great reverb up there, a Moog, and a couple of Behringer synths, which I’m looking forward to reacquainting myself with.
I can recommend this process to anyone who thinks they may be becoming a bit jaded with their set-up, I think it works, some things you thought you would never use, or that didn’t work out first time around, may be given a second more successful lease of life.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Re: The value of "lofting"

Post by N i g e l »

Currently I dont have a loft for storage !
I upgraded my insulation wool this summer. 100mm between the joists, 200 mm on top.

There are options to put an elevated area above this but temperature wise, I would be better off putting the stuff in the shed.

My 19" rack on wheels seems to have come back into use recently. It makes a good "island" rather than under desk unit.
N i g e l
Frequent Poster
Posts: 3712 Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:40 pm Location: British Isles

Post by MarkOne »

My loft was until this summer a platform above the car in the garage.

Now it's a storage unit about a mile away, and a bit of space under the bed.

As I went through a major downsizing operation when we moved there really isn't much to 'loft' now, my live rig stands and cables, live mics, some FX pedals
MarkOne
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2742 Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:00 am Location: Bristol, England, Earth, Perseus Gap, Milky Way
My Music on Apple Music
My Music on Spotify

Post by Martin Walker »

I don't have a loft either, since I live in a barn conversion ;)
Martin Walker
Posts: 20639 Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:44 am Location: Cornwall, UK

Post by Drew Stephenson »

Dare we say, "We told you so?" ;)
Drew Stephenson
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 24626 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
(The forumuser formerly known as Blinddrew)
Ignore the post count, I still have no idea what I'm doing...
https://drewstephenson.bandcamp.com/

Post by OneWorld »

I had lofty ambitions, to turn it into a studio, everything in order and in place. I went to considerable expense having the loft converted but over time it has become a junk space and I can just about squeeze myself into a corner where I have a keyboard, controller and monitors.

The loft does have at least one redeeming feature though. Given the ever expanding urban landscape and houses now having been built where there used to be open fields, but because the house is near the top of a hill, the view from the loft gives me an unbroken view over the rooftops of the valley beyond. I might go the whole distance and like a neighbour, have a dormer window put in the roof space and make it into a sitting room, essentially the house becoming a 3 storey building - aim high as they say
OneWorld
Frequent Poster

Post by FrankF »

My loft was inspired by Hellraiser: you wouldn't want to see the Muses I conjure up...
FrankF
Regular
Posts: 451 Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2002 12:00 am Location: La Vendée, France

Post by MOF »

There are options to put an elevated area above this but temperature wise, I would be better off putting the stuff in the shed.

I’ve stapled rolls of insulating blanket onto the roof beams and then screwed batons on top then stapled thin tongue and groove cladding onto them. You don’t have to do the cladding.
I could and might put music gear up there but the main objective was to have a storage room that wasn’t a freezer in winter and a furnace in summer. Hopefully it will help reduce energy bills too.
MOF
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2264 Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2003 12:00 am Location: United Kingdom

Post by Folderol »

I've got insulation between the joists in the loft, and minimal areas of boarding. I've been thinking of stapling insulating blanket over the rafters which should help keep the loft (and top floor of the house) a more stable temperature and cooler on average.

I'd probably have to hire a staple gun - it wouldn't be worth buying one for just that job.
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Posts: 18204 Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:00 am Location: The Mudway Towns, UK
Yes. I am that Linux nut {apparently now an 'elderly'}
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Post by zenguitar »

I always thought the value of Lofting was a Dolittle.

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
Posts: 12558 Joined: Thu Dec 05, 2002 12:00 am Location: Devon
Is it about a bicycle?

Post by MOF »

I'd probably have to hire a staple gun - it wouldn't be worth buying one for just that job.

I bought a Stanley heavy duty staple gun at Screwfix for £15.99 and 5000 12 by 10.6mm staples for £7.64. The major cost was the insulation rolls at £120@ each if I remember correctly.
MOF
Frequent Poster

Post by Folderol »

MOF wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 4:57 pm

I bought a Stanley heavy duty staple gun at Screwfix for £15.99 and 5000 12 by 10.6mm staples for £7.64. The major cost was the insulation rolls at £120@ each if I remember correctly.

Interesting. That's pretty cheap all considered.

What did you do about maintaining some air movement behind the insulation?
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Posts: 18204 Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:00 am Location: The Mudway Towns, UK
Yes. I am that Linux nut {apparently now an 'elderly'}
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Post by Arpangel »

Empty gear boxes make excellent insulation.

:)
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by MOF »

What did you do about maintaining some air movement behind the insulation?

The batons plus the cladding create the air gap.
MOF
Frequent Poster

Post by Wonks »

zenguitar wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 4:15 pm I always thought the value of Lofting was a Dolittle.

Andy :beamup:

Hugh idiot. :)
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Posts: 17020 Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 12:00 am Location: Reading, UK
Reliably fallible.