PMXU63BT - poor sound from headphones

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

PMXU63BT - poor sound from headphones

Post by crp0499 »

So, first off, I'm a newbie so spell it out for me please. :)

I am using Adobe Audition on a windows PC to record some audio for my kids. The PC is connected from its headphone jack, via cable, to the two stereo inputs on the Pyle PMXU63BT mixer.

Plugged into the headphone jack on the mixer is a nice Sony studio headphone set.

When I play back the recordings, in the headphone, the sound is REALLY low. I mean I have to turn the headphone output all the way up and I can still barely hear it thru the headphones.

When I unplug the cable from the PC and listen thru the PC speakers, the sound is exactly like I expect it. Loud, clear, easy to hear. When I plug the headphone cable back in, the cable from the PC to the mixer, and then try and listen thru the headphones plugged into the mixer, it's low again.

I've checked output in Audition and that is good. I've checked settings in the PC and that's good, but I'm missing something and I' don't know what it is.

Can someone school me please? Thank you.
crp0499

Re: PMXU63BT - poor sound from headphones

Post by adamburgess »

Could you confirm what type of cable you're using from the PC to the mixer?
It should be a stereo 1/8" jack to 2x mono (TS) jack if you're using the 2x jacks marked 3L & 4R.

Since those input channels have no Gain control, maybe the level from the PC is too low?

Is the level of the master fader too low? (I'm guessing the headphone out comes 'after' the master fader.)

Could you try, say, the first two mono channels on the mixer (and pan Left and Right, as they DO have a Gain Control?

Just a few quick thoughts!
adamburgess
Regular

Post by Drew Stephenson »

I'm wondering if there's a stereo, unbalanced TRS cable going into a mono, balanced TRS socket somewhere.
Drew Stephenson
Jedi Poster
Posts: 24450 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
(The forumuser formerly known as Blinddrew)
Ignore the post count, I still have no idea what I'm doing...
https://drewstephenson.bandcamp.com/

Post by Wonks »

adamburgess wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 7:26 am Could you confirm what type of cable you're using from the PC to the mixer?
It should be a stereo 1/8" jack to 2x mono (TS) jack if you're using the 2x jacks marked 3L & 4R.

Since those input channels have no Gain control, maybe the level from the PC is too low?

Is the level of the master fader too low? (I'm guessing the headphone out comes 'after' the master fader.)

Could you try, say, the first two mono channels on the mixer (and pan Left and Right, as they DO have a Gain Control?

Just a few quick thoughts!

Are you looking at the right mixer? The PMXU63BT has a gain control for the stereo input channels, which are 5 and 6. The PMXU43BT has the stereo inputs on 3&4 (and is shown as the example in the manual) but that too has a gain input.

https://www.pyleaudio.com/sku/PMXU63BT/ ... ole-System

The stereo input channel is shared with the USB input, so the selector for 5/6 and USB needs to be out for the inputs to work. With the selector in, you'll be getting the input from channel 5 and 6 via the USB feed, though there might be some side path that leaks a low level signal into the channel from the 1/4" inputs.

It's not a very good mixer at all as it has no balance controls, so you can't send one of the mic/line channels to the left channel and one to the right. There's also no block schematic in the manual to show the signal routing, which would help understand what's going on.

So it may be that the mixer is basically dual mono, as channels 1-4 will undoubtedly be sent in equal amounts to the L+R outputs, though you may get some stereo from the FX unit and the inputs 5&6 might be sent left and right, though they may even be mono summed.

Seeing whether you get a mono or stereo main output is something you'd need to work out using a single line-level mono input jack with a signal on it and an unconnected jack lead in the channel 5 input and see if the output is on one or both of the channels. Or a stereo input feed where you can control the balance of the feed going in.

The mixer isn't doing you any favours in your recording attempts. You'd be much better off getting a proper audio interface with a USB connection to your computer. You can get a decent 2-channel or 4-channel input device for much less than the list price of that mixer, and you won't have to worry about using headphone outputs to get a playback signal.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Posts: 17003 Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 12:00 am Location: Reading, UK
Reliably fallible.

Post by Mike Stranks »

Just to pick up on Adam's point: I agree with the cable he's specified, but it needs to go into the inputs marked 5 and 6 at the top right of the mixer.

The cable needed looks like this:

Does that help? :)

[BTW... for those interested in such things... this mixer has no pan controls... That might be significant in this case, but the OP is where he is with this kit. It has the facilities to do what he wants.]
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Post by Mike Stranks »

To the OP:

Further thoughts...

Are you able to connect your headphones directly to the socket that you are using to connect to the mixer for playback? Does that sound OK?
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Post by adamburgess »

Wonks wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 9:42 am
Are you looking at the right mixer?

No - was just a cursory glance at the pic in the manual.

The cable thing, I think may have something to do with it, or the master fader being pre-headphone.

I've seen plenty cheap mixers with the line level inputs having no gain control - just the fader, and with the channels not being aligned with said fader on this desk, I was wrong :-)
adamburgess
Regular

Post by Wonks »

Yes, the offset arrangement is rather unique, as is the lack of balance/pan controls.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Posts: 17003 Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 12:00 am Location: Reading, UK
Reliably fallible.