What musical instrument does this sound come from?

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Moderator: Moderators

What musical instrument does this sound come from?

Post by ming8080 »

Hello, I'm trying to sequence a song (using cakewalk) to sound as close as possible to the original, but I'm stuck with a small part of the song where there's a sound that I don't know what musical instrument it came from. Basically, this part contains an electric piano and a percussion (conga I suppose). I've sequenced the piano & the conga, but there's a sound that seems to shadow (played simultaneously with) the conga that I couldn't figure out (please ignore the reverb difference, I haven't had the chance to add any FX).
Here's the link to the sounds:

Sequenced: https://drive.google.com/file/d/12gw2A3 ... sp=sharing
Original: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vc8ISM ... sp=sharing

I've tried cuica, ocarina, conch shell, but they sound different. Any thought on this?
ming8080
New here

Re: What musical instrument does this sound come from?

Post by BJG145 »

Hey ming8080, welcome to the forum.

The conch and ocarina are played by blowing, while the cuica is played with a cloth on a rosined stick. The sound here is produced by striking a resonant drum head with your fingers against it, and using pressure on the skin to vary the pitch, like a talking drum.

https://youtu.be/B4oQJZ2TEVI

Since you're going to be sequencing it rather than finding an original, perhaps you could just use a boingy drum sample with pitchbend.

(I could only hear two instruments on that clip; Rhodes and drum. Actually I think all you need to do is splash on some reverb, pitchbend that drum sample you've got a couple of semitones up and down while it plays, and you're in the ballpark.)
BJG145
Longtime Poster

Post by ming8080 »

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll give it a try :thumbup:
ming8080
New here

Post by Jorge »

That is a conga, not a conch, talking drum, cuica, kinfuiti or other percussion or wind instrument. That particular sound is not produced by pressing on the skin or changing the tension on the skin like a talking drum. On a conga (not tuned too high) you hit an open tone while sliding your middle fingertip of the other hand across the skin. Takes a lot of practice and is easier with an old, properly cured and broken-in natural conga skin. With some skins you have to moisten your fingertip with saliva to get it to work. Most people who play congas never master that technique.
Jorge
Regular
Posts: 373 Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2003 12:00 am Location: New York, NY

Post by ming8080 »

Wow, that's a very detailed explanation :clap: Thanks for the insight. I ended up simulating the sound using a conga instrument with a reverb, not quite the same sound though :)
ming8080
New here