Cloning a Windows 10 drive

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Moderator: Moderators

Cloning a Windows 10 drive

Post by Marbury »

When I had my pc built 2 and a half years ago with windows 10, I chose a 500gb sd drive for the main C system drive. Unfortunately it only has a few gb left so I have purchased a 1TB sd to replace it. My question is, can I just make a straight clone of this with Marconi Reflect and swap it over ?

Thanks
Marbury
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1089 Joined: Thu Aug 28, 2003 12:00 am Location: Cheshire, UK

Re: Cloning a Windows 10 drive

Post by Wonks »

Yes, as long as the new drive is the same size or bigger than the original.

SSDs take a real performance hit with 10% or less free space, so you should see a big improvement in responsiveness. But try not to let the new drive get so full. Can you keep the original as an extra drive for storage, and reformat it after a successful cloning?
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Posts: 17020 Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 12:00 am Location: Reading, UK
Reliably fallible.

Post by OneWorld »

Marbury wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 11:27 am When I had my pc built 2 and a half years ago with windows 10, I chose a 500gb sd drive for the main C system drive. Unfortunately it only has a few gb left so I have purchased a 1TB sd to replace it. My question is, can I just make a straight clone of this with Marconi Reflect and swap it over ?

Thanks

Yes you can clone the drive, but I would make a drive image as well, as backup. I use Reflect a lot and thus far, has only let me down once, luckily I had enough images to get me back to fully working again. It is prudent to keep a drive image anyway

Cloning v Imaging
https://blog.macrium.com/techie-tuesday ... be74abb089
OneWorld
Frequent Poster

Post by Nazard »

Ideally, keep a copy of the drive image on a separate disk, which is not plugged in, or connected, to your PC at the time you do your cloning to the new SSD.

If the new SSD is a Samsung, their 'Magician' software works well - it's their propietary cloning tool.
Nazard
Frequent Poster

Post by Marbury »

Ok, thanks. Its a Sandisk ultra 3D ssd

I have made a clone of the current drive on a mechanical drive that is disconnected. I always thought an image the same thing. When my new 1TB drive ends up exceeding the 500gb capacity of my current, it would be then impossible to use the soon to be old 500gb for making a clone or image.
Marbury
Frequent Poster

Post by Marbury »

Bit of a problem. I have successfully cloned the drive but the cloned drive (1TB) is showing exactly the same data that is free as the source disk (500gb) Both drives are showing 464gb used with 72.6gb free. What has happened to the extra 500gb ?

Also, I need to tell the PC to boot from the new drive.
Marbury
Frequent Poster

Post by Jimmy B »

Your new drive now contains an exact copy of the 512GB partition on the old drive, and a lot of free space. (It may also contain a recovery partition, if the old disk had one).
You can either expand the 512GB partition to fill the entire disk, or create extra partitions to fill the space, or a combination of the two.
In any case, you need a partition editor.
I have used Easus Partition Master in the past. I believe that it was free for personal use. There are a number of other options, and your new disk may include one.
https://www.easeus.com/partition-manager/epm-free.html

Do this before you make the new disk the boot disk (which Partition Master should also be able to help you with, if I recall correctly).
Jimmy B
Regular
Learning from the experts on this forum

Post by Marbury »

Thanks, I have downloaded and installed the software but when I try to merge the unallocated space with the main storage area it tells me I can't do that unless I pay money. I would have thought this was a task that could be done in Windows disc manager ?
Marbury
Frequent Poster

Post by Jimmy B »

The free version that I have (from several years ago) can resize partitions. I'm not about to upgrade it in case that capability disappears. But according to the website you can still do this with the free version.
I assume that you are not booting from the new drive? If so, you may want to boot from your old drive and try again.
In answer to your question: Yes, Windows disk manager looks as if it can do the same thing. Did you try it?
Jimmy B
Regular

Post by sonics »

Probably the best partition software for personal use is the Paragon offering, IMO.
Also check out O&O Software for very affordable (always on sale somewhere for $10!) disk software.
sonics
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1634 Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2003 12:00 am Location: Canada

Post by Marbury »

No I wasn't booting from the new drive. Perhaps if I wipe the drive and start again with AOMEI it will give me this option before the clone ?
Marbury
Frequent Poster

Post by Jimmy B »

You shouldn't need to do that. Didn't you say that Windows Disk Management was offering you the option to extend the volume? If so, I would take it.
Or if Partition Manager really won't do this any more, why not try Paragon as suggested by Sonics?
TBH, I would expect any of these methods to work.
Jimmy B
Regular

Post by Marbury »

You can use Disk Management to add space to an existing volume, extending it into empty space on the drive, but only if the empty space doesn't have a volume on it (it's unallocated) and comes immediately after the volume you want to extend, with no other volumes in-between.

Unfortunately there is 517mb of "healthy recovery partition" in between. So that's out the window.
Marbury
Frequent Poster

Post by Jimmy B »

OK, that makes sense. I suspected that there might be a recovery partition in the way. I'm not aware of any risk-free way to move it using Microsoft tools, so you need a more powerful set of tools. If, as you say, Easus Partition Master is still demanding money, then it makes sense to try something else, such as the Paragon software that Sonics suggested.
Alternatively, since you used Macrium Reflect 7 to clone the disk (I think?), you could do as you suggest and wipe the new disk and start again, but this time following these instructions on their website to change the partition sizes as a part of the clone process:
https://knowledgebase.macrium.com/displ ... ing+a+disk

As usual there a several ways to solve this, and all of them should work.
Jimmy B
Regular

Post by OneWorld »

Jimmy B wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 1:11 pm OK, that makes sense. I suspected that there might be a recovery partition in the way. I'm not aware of any risk-free way to move it using Microsoft tools, so you need a more powerful set of tools. If, as you say, Easus Partition Master is still demanding money, then it makes sense to try something else, such as the Paragon software that Sonics suggested.
Alternatively, since you used Macrium Reflect 7 to clone the disk (I think?), you could do as you suggest and wipe the new disk and start again, but this time following these instructions on their website to change the partition sizes as a part of the clone process:

AOMEI Partition Assistant, MiniTool Partition Tool, Macrium all offer free versions of software that allow partition resizing, the Macrium alternative offering partition resizing when restoring an image, the other two alternatives are more than adequate, I've been using them for ages, no problems

There's a catch though - the user has to READ the download options and the same regarding the instructions for use
OneWorld
Frequent Poster

Post by Marbury »

Jimmy B wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 1:11 pm OK, that makes sense. I suspected that there might be a recovery partition in the way. I'm not aware of any risk-free way to move it using Microsoft tools, so you need a more powerful set of tools. If, as you say, Easus Partition Master is still demanding money, then it makes sense to try something else, such as the Paragon software that Sonics suggested.

I have managed to wipe the drive and start again with Reflect and it has worked. I then joined the 2 sectors with Partition Master. So far so good, but now the next task is getting the pc to boot from the new drive.
Marbury
Frequent Poster

Post by Jimmy B »

I'm surprised that you needed to merge 2 partitions. It should have been possible to set up Macrium Reflect so that it created the correct partition sizes when it cloned the drive. Hopefully you didn't merge the C drive with the recovery partition?
Assuming that all is good there, this link tells you how to set the system to boot from the new drive:
https://www.easeus.com/partition-master ... html#part1
(about a third of the way down the page)
Jimmy B
Regular

Post by Marbury »

Thanks, that worked a treat. I will say however that the extra drive space hasn't made much of a difference to the speed of the pc.

Thank you all for your help with this. Much appreciated.
Marbury
Frequent Poster

Post by Jimmy B »

You are welcome. It's good to hear that it's working.
Jimmy B
Regular

Post by Marbury »

Now what to do with the old drive. Perhaps use to make a disc image ?
Marbury
Frequent Poster