PC -> Mac and back

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Moderator: Moderators

PC -> Mac and back

Post by OneWorld »

I am a PC user but have a trusty old iPad Air 2 that is a great little gizmo - battery lasts a week! I use it for on the go browsing etc

I often watch MP4 videos on a small Samsung tablet but it has a smaller screen. I would like to transfer the MP4s to the iPad but I simply cannot find a way. Is there no equivalent of Explorer on an iPad, I can't find one.

I have a little gizmo that allows me to plug a USB stick into the iPad (which has a lightning connector, but when I plug a USB key in a message comes up saying 'not enough power to run this device'
OneWorld
Frequent Poster

Re: PC -> Mac and back

Post by BigRedX »

The problem you are having is that iPads are simply not designed to work like this. They are closed systems for interacting with stuff on line.

If you have iTunes installed on your Windows machine you might be able to use that to transfer the files. You may also need to ensure that its the right kind MP4 file for the iPad to be able to play it. It's a while since I've done this so it might not be possible with the latest versions of iTunes and iOS, also my desktop computer is a Mac.

However, you'll probably find the easiest way to get the file(s) onto your iPad is to use an on-line transfer system like iCloud, DropBox or WeTransfer. Convoluted I know but at least you'll get there.
BigRedX
Frequent Poster
RockinRollin' VampireMan

Post by muzines »

If you're not wholly in the Apple ecosystem, most good video players, like Infuse, have an inbuilt FTP server, so you can literally upload video files over your network from a browser to the iPad, and then you can play them in that player...
muzines
Jedi Poster
..............................mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio  | Legacy Logic Project Conversion

Post by resistorman »

resistorman
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2691 Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:00 am Location: Asheville NC
"The Best" piece of gear is subjective.

Post by sonics »

OneWorld wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 2:05 pm
I have a little gizmo that allows me to plug a USB stick into the iPad (which has a lightning connector, but when I plug a USB key in a message comes up saying 'not enough power to run this device'

This should work. It sounds like you may have an incompatible adapter. Perhaps try another (Apple certified) one? Online transfer is probably the easiest if you have good Internet, as others have suggested.
sonics
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1634 Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2003 12:00 am Location: Canada