SubZero SZ-MIX08USB

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Moderator: Moderators

SubZero SZ-MIX08USB

Post by sidders »

Does anyone have any schematics or this particular mixer? Would be very helpful especially for the USB interface.
sidders

Re: SubZero SZ-MIX08USB

Post by Wonks »

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I can't find one, just the manual.

https://d1aeri3ty3izns.cloudfront.net/m ... 274104.pdf

The USB is stated as being output only in the manual, despite the words in the G4M product page, so you probably only get the main stereo mix output over the USB connection. There doesn't seem to be any way of controlling any USB input signal level (if there is one). Probably class compliant, so no dedicated USB drivers for it.

So it's probably OK for recording a gig mix if everything passes through the mixer, but I doubt it would be any good as an audio interface for a DAW as you seem to have no monitoring facility for playback of recorded tracks. Absolutely nothing about that in the manual.

What are you planning to use it for?
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Posts: 17003 Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 12:00 am Location: Reading, UK
Reliably fallible.

Post by resistorman »

Better off with a Behringer Flow, which is being blown out on sale here in the US.
resistorman
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 2679 Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:00 am Location: Asheville NC
"The Best" piece of gear is subjective.

Post by ef37a »

resistorman wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 4:09 pm Better off with a Behringer Flow, which is being blown out on sale here in the US.

Just had a look at that Rman and it seems it does not work with PCs?
If so surely a massive, 0.5cal through foot?

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster
Posts: 16448 Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 12:00 am Location: northampton uk

Post by MarkOne »

ef37a wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 5:54 pm
resistorman wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 4:09 pm Better off with a Behringer Flow, which is being blown out on sale here in the US.

Just had a look at that Rman and it seems it does not work with PCs?
If so surely a massive, 0.5cal through foot?

Dave.

Just looked on the Behringer site (assuming you mean the flow8) and it says
Built-in 10 x 2 channel USB computer audio Interface, with 48 kHz / 24-Bit resolution

MarkOne
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 2714 Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:00 am Location: Bristol, England, Earth, Perseus Gap, Milky Way
My Music on Apple Music
My Music on Spotify

Post by Wonks »

I think ef37a was confused by the remote phone app control on the Flow 8. That's just for control, not recording. Otherwise its a digital mixer that can be used as a 10 in 2 out interface. Probably not the best latency figures but you pays your money and you take your choice.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Reliably fallible.

Post by ef37a »

Wonks wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 7:30 pm I think ef37a was confused by the remote phone app control on the Flow 8. That's just for control, not recording. Otherwise its a digital mixer that can be used as a 10 in 2 out interface. Probably not the best latency figures but you pays your money and you take your choice.

Ah, so. Still, it seems odd that such a big player would make a product that did not work with THE most common platform?

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Post by Wonks »

But it does!
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Reliably fallible.

Post by ef37a »

Wonks wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:23 pmBut it does!

"
PC App would be great

Mobile app is awesome, but I really miss a PC application. Having control from a PC is more realiable and practical on some scenarios (when I musicalize an event I do most of the work from pc, and I do requiere a second device for controlling the mixer settings, which sometimes is annoying). Also, it worries me what will happen when this device will be deprecated and future android / ios versions will not support app. Do we need to maintain a old device to control mixer in the future?"

that ^ is what I mean. I do get hissed off with the amount of kit that only talks Apple.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Post by Wonks »

Well that one is Apple and Android for a mobile Bluetooth app, so a wider choice than some.

It's hardly the biggest mixer in the world, so a full web interface for mixer control on wi-fi would have pushed the price up too much.

It seems to be aimed at those who mainly want to set up the channels beforehand and just use the faders after that, with occasional tweaking. Whilst it can be used as an AI, I'd much prefer to use a dedicated AI for that purpose. But if you only rarely need an AI but need a flexible small mixer, then the Flow8 meets that need.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Reliably fallible.

Post by Drew Stephenson »

The good Mr Stranks of this parish posted a review a while back: https://www.soundonsound.com/forum/view ... hp?t=77577
Drew Stephenson
Jedi Poster
Posts: 24450 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
(The forumuser formerly known as Blinddrew)
Ignore the post count, I still have no idea what I'm doing...
https://drewstephenson.bandcamp.com/

Post by Wonks »

And currently seems to be around £208-£215 from the major UK outlets.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Reliably fallible.