MP3 conversion

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Moderator: Moderators

MP3 conversion

Post by ef37a »

I am emailing a guy who wants to attach a music file but it is too big. He does not know how to compress it to MP3 on his mac and of course, I am NO help at all!

I am not even sure he has a DAW. Do all macs have Garage Band and can that do MP3s

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster
Posts: 16448 Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 12:00 am Location: northampton uk

Re: MP3 conversion

Post by MarkOne »

You can use the Apple Music app to convert file formats.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204310

And yes, all macs come with GarageBand and you can save a GarageBand project as mo3.

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/ ... bf5ed9/mac

But to be honest, rather than messing with that, I’d use WeTransfer (which you can use for free up to 2GB)

https://wetransfer.com/
MarkOne
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 2714 Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:00 am Location: Bristol, England, Earth, Perseus Gap, Milky Way
My Music on Apple Music
My Music on Spotify

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

Don't faff about with mp3, use a file transfer service like WeTransfer, TransferNow, SendAnywhere, Hightail, Slack, Dropbox, or even OneDrive or GoogleDrive etc etc...
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 38835 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Post by ef37a »

Hugh Robjohns wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 9:36 am Don't faff about with mp3, use a file transfer service like WeTransfer, TransferNow, SendAnywhere, Hightail, Slack, Dropbox, or even OneDrive or GoogleDrive etc etc...

OK! I shall tell 'im!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Post by BigRedX »

Unfortunately IME if some can't figure out how to convert and audio file to MP3 on a Mac, using an on-line file transfer service will also be beyond them. Especially now, since even WeTransfer requires you to sign up to use its services.
BigRedX
Frequent Poster (Level2)
RockinRollin' VampireMan

Post by ConcertinaChap »

There's always Audacity. This makes conversion and simple editing pretty easy and it's free.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Posts: 12864 Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:00 am Location: Bradford on Avon
Mr Punch's Studio
I don't play music because I think I'm a great musician,
I play because music is great and I want to be part of it.

Post by resistorman »

If you use gmail, you can attach large files automatically, it will save it to Drive and provide a link.
resistorman
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 2679 Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:00 am Location: Asheville NC
"The Best" piece of gear is subjective.

Post by ef37a »

Thanks all, the guy sent me the file eventually by We Transfer. Turns out it was a video file from a phone* so all that messin' with MP3 was for nought!

*Why don't peeps film things in landscape?

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Post by MarkOne »

ef37a wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:41 am

*Why don't peeps film things in landscape?

Dave.

This infuriates me. Particularly when they know it’s destined for a YouTube stream.

Me: film it landscape
Person: why?
Me: is your telly propped up on its side at home?
Person: ahhh!

There is a bistro/bar/tapas place near us and they have a rolling vid of their past events on a honking big LG 65 oled and most of that screen real estate is black because it was all filmed in portrait on a phone
MarkOne
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 2714 Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:00 am Location: Bristol, England, Earth, Perseus Gap, Milky Way
My Music on Apple Music
My Music on Spotify

Post by ef37a »

Yes Mark! I was not that sure smart phones COULD video in landscape because on the rare occasion I want to film something I use a 'proper' camera!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Post by MOF »

This infuriates me. Particularly when they know it’s destined for a YouTube stream.

Me: film it landscape
Person: why?
Me: is your telly propped up on its side at home?
Person: ahhh!

On a related note I wish programme makers would not zoom in on old 4:3 footage to fill the 16:9 frame we have now, especially when they just zoom in and leave it there without any consideration of the subject matter e.g. most of a person’s head being cropped off.
MOF
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 2260 Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2003 12:00 am Location: United Kingdom

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

...Or when they include vintage undercranked film at modern frame rates, so everyone walks at silly speeds.

The thing is, all these format issues are well known and most are easy to accommodate in far better ways. Sadly, the producers /directors /editors either don't know, don't care, or don't have the time/budget to do it right. I suspect the first two possibilities dominate.
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 38835 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual...