Upgrade to Cubase 12

Announce new products, updates, events, competitions, jobs and special offers here.

Moderator: Moderators

Upgrade to Cubase 12

Post by OneWorld »

At £50 to upgrade from Cubase 11, to Cubase 12, that is such a seductive offer.

But I am so wedded to my USB Dongle.

On my dongle I have licences for Cubase 8, 10, 11

If I upgrade to C12, will those existing licenses be trashed and will the dongle become redundant, ie,. all the licences wiped off it.

I sometimes use C8 because it is fast and unbloated (I used to haveC6 until I deleted it by mistake)

If you were a Steinberg salesman/woman what would you say to convince me the upgrade is compelling?
OneWorld
Frequent Poster

Re: Upgrade to Cubase 12

Post by RichardT »

No your e-licenser will still work for earlier versions after an upgrade to 12.

Upgrading to 12 comes with some risk attached. I’ve been OK but others have had significant problems. For me it crashes less often than 11 by some margin.

For me, the best new feature is the FX modulator effect plugin. The change in license system has made very little difference to me.

performance in 12 is very slightly worse than 11 on my 2014 MacBook Pro.
RichardT
Frequent Poster
Posts: 4173 Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2004 12:00 am Location: Ireland

Post by sonics »

OneWorld wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 4:35 pm
I sometimes use C8 because it is fast and unbloated (I used to haveC6 until I deleted it by mistake)

I still use v8 sometimes, and that is one of the reasons. BTW, I believe all the old versions are still available so you can reinstall C6 if it will work on your computer.

I can't actually persuade you about C12 since I jumped ship to a rival DAW rather than get C9! You could probably skip a version and wait for the C13 upgrade offer?
sonics
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1634 Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2003 12:00 am Location: Canada

Post by OneWorld »

sonics wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:01 pm
OneWorld wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 4:35 pm

You could probably skip a version and wait for the C13 upgrade offer?

Now there's a thought, though if not mistaken, the cheapest offers, the £50, only apply to incremental upgrades eg 11 -> 12 and 12 - 13, that price does not include a leap over several versions

So seeing as I can keep my dongle and use the previous versions, at £50 I might as well go for it. C6 was up and running in an instant.

Each upgrade gets slower and s l o w e r and s l o w e r

OK I suppose hardware upgrade as well as a software upgrade would mean the whole setup keeping up to speed.
OneWorld
Frequent Poster

Post by Kwackman »

OneWorld wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:37 amEach upgrade gets slower and s l o w e r and s l o w e r

OK I suppose hardware upgrade as well as a software upgrade would mean the whole setup keeping up to speed.

YMMV but I'm running C12 on a 2010 MacPro that's below Steinberg's minimum specs (both hardware & OS) and it runs fine. I'm not a power user, but I don't notice it being slower, maybe a little when loading a project.
Kwackman
Frequent Poster
Posts: 3221 Joined: Thu Nov 07, 2002 12:00 am Location: Belfast
Cubase, guitars.

Post by OneWorld »

Kwackman wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:45 am
OneWorld wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:37 amEach upgrade gets slower and s l o w e r and s l o w e r

YMMV but I'm running C12 on a 2010 MacPro that's below Steinberg's minimum specs (both hardware & OS) and it runs fine. I'm not a power user, but I don't notice it being slower, maybe a little when loading a project.

That's a done deal then!
OneWorld
Frequent Poster

Post by sonics »

OneWorld wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:37 am C6 was up and running in an instant.

That reminds me of about a year ago. I loaded an old word processor onto a modern machine, and the screen popped up, completely drawn and ready, in about three-tenths of a second. I liked it. I know it means nothing, but boy was it "snappy". :lol:
sonics
Frequent Poster

Post by OneWorld »

sonics wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 4:05 pm
OneWorld wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:37 am C6 was up and running in an instant.

That reminds me of about a year ago. I loaded an old word processor onto a modern machine, and the screen popped up, completely drawn and ready, in about three-tenths of a second. I liked it. I know it means nothing, but boy was it "snappy". :lol:

Mind you, with long start-ups, it's not as if we haven't been here before - I remember back in the day, we'd turn the telly on and wait 5 minutes for the valves to warm up! Or loading a game into a Spectrum from a cassette, and the hard drives came along and oh wow, a quantum leap
OneWorld
Frequent Poster

Post by S.Crow »

If you register by October 3rd, you will find up to five freebies in your account depending on which version you have.
Some are quite impressive such as the Arturia CS 80.
S.Crow
Regular

Post by OneWorld »

I am fully aware of the 3rd October cut off date. If I buy the bargain basement version of C12, do I have to install it before 4t October, or could I just leave it sat on the back burner and install it as and when I feel like it.

Question 2 - having several versions of Cubase installed means I have duplicate content files (I have Groove Agent, Halion Sonic, Halion 6 and other Steinberg products installed) , I have done my best at trying to move all content to a single folder (and sub-folders). Does C12 create yet another folder of it's own to install content or for example, I feel that if upgrading from C11 to C12, then the C12 content will go where the existing C11 content is?
OneWorld
Frequent Poster

Post by sonics »

I'm pretty sure you'd have to activate the copy of Cubase by the deadline to take advantage of any offers.

WRT the content, you only need a single folder IIRC. I used the Library Manager utility to help.
sonics
Frequent Poster

Post by S.Crow »

You need to register it to your account but you don't have to install it.
Do copy the serial numbers for the promo offers as they may disappear on the 4th.
S.Crow
Regular