Running my Behringer mother keyboard from a guitar PSU?

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Moderator: Moderators

Running my Behringer mother keyboard from a guitar PSU?

Post by Arpangel »

I have a UMX610 mother keyboard, I’ve run out of PSU's, I was wondering if it’s possible to run it from one of the outputs on my MXR Isobrick? it’s centre negative, 9v 100mA, there are many outputs on the MXR that seem to be able to do the job, but I’m just checking with you folks that it will be OK.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Re: Running my Behringer mother keyboard from a guitar PSU?

Post by MarkOne »

Checking the manual, that device can be powered directly via USB, or by batteries, or via a 9v 100mA supply, so if your pedal psu can supply 100mA per socket you should be good to go.

Me, I’d just leave it to USB bus power, but I guess you are using physical MIDI, rather than MIDI over USB.
MarkOne
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2741 Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:00 am Location: Bristol, England, Earth, Perseus Gap, Milky Way
My Music on Apple Music
My Music on Spotify

Post by Drew Stephenson »

centre-negative, 9v, 100mA is very vanilla so I'd be amazed if the MXR didn't have an appropriate output. Should be fine.
Drew Stephenson
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 24607 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
(The forumuser formerly known as Blinddrew)
Ignore the post count, I still have no idea what I'm doing...
https://drewstephenson.bandcamp.com/

Post by ef37a »

I am sure you could use a '13A' USB power adaptor. My MOTU M4 work fine stand alone on one.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster
Posts: 16522 Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 12:00 am Location: northampton uk

Post by Arpangel »

ef37a wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 3:09 pm I am sure you could use a '13A' USB power adaptor. My MOTU M4 work fine stand alone on one.

Dave.

That would be fine Dave, except! :(
The Berry only sends out Midi via the hardware socket in USB mode if you loop it back through the USB lead! which means turning on the computer, loading up the appropriate template in Reaper, I’d have to create a MIDI output track, all a lot of faffing around.
Thanks for confirming the guitar PSU, I’ll use that, as using an external PSU automatically sends data out of that socket.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by ef37a »

Arpangel wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:31 am
ef37a wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 3:09 pm I am sure you could use a '13A' USB power adaptor. My MOTU M4 work fine stand alone on one.

Dave.

That would be fine Dave, except! :(
The Berry only sends out Midi via the hardware socket in USB mode if you loop it back through the USB lead! which means turning on the computer, loading up the appropriate template in Reaper, I’d have to create a MIDI output track, all a lot of faffing around.
Thanks for confirming the guitar PSU, I’ll use that, as using an external PSU automatically sends data out of that socket.

Fairenoughski. You are lucky the Berry wants centre negative. Most kit that ISN'T guitar related is the more sensible centre poz!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster
Posts: 16522 Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 12:00 am Location: northampton uk

Post by Arpangel »

ef37a wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:01 am Fairenoughski. You are lucky the Berry wants centre negative. Most kit that ISN'T guitar related is the more sensible centre poz!

Dave.

Yes, this is all because I need another supply for my MicroGranny, I’ve got a universal supply for that which is able to reverse polarity, as the MG is centre pos, it was being used on the Berry, so I’m having to move things around, without forking out for another supply.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster