Headphone Recommendations Please

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Headphone Recommendations Please

Post by Jathon Delsy »

Hey, m'learned friends, can you give me any recommendations for headphones. My DT770's have served me well, but I'm making bad decisions with them, especially in the bass end, so I'm looking for something more accurate to serve me during my live streaming.
Thanks.
Jathon Delsy
Regular
Posts: 154 Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2014 12:00 am Location: London, England.

Re: Headphone Recommendations Please

Post by Briz »

Jathon Delsy wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 3:36 pm Hey, m'learned friends, can you give me any recommendations for headphones. My DT770's have served me well, but I'm making bad decisions with them, especially in the bass end, so I'm looking for something more accurate to serve me during my live streaming.
Thanks.

I know it's subjective, but I'm a fan of Sennheiser HD's. I use the HD 650's when I want to mix via headphones, and the HD 200 & 300 closed backs when recording.
Briz
Poster
Inspecting &Adapting Daily @ Life

Post by resistorman »

I'm liking my Rode NTH-100s a whole lot, especially in the bass range:

https://www.soundonsound.com/news/rode- ... headphones
resistorman
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2691 Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:00 am Location: Asheville NC
"The Best" piece of gear is subjective.

Post by Tomás Mulcahy »

DT-770 are really hard to beat IME. I'd recommend getting SoundID reference instead of new cans- there's a free 21 day trial download. It's €99 for the headphones only edition. They review them on their own blog here. I find it great for any headphones. Mixes translate. While I feel mixing on speakers translates better, mixing podcasts on headphones makes sense. I have SoundID Reference on my speakers as well along with the obligatory room treatment.
Tomás Mulcahy
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2564 Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2001 12:00 am Location: Cork, Ireland.

Post by sonics »

Is there a reason you want different headphones rather than simply using a corrective EQ on your monitor signal? 770 bass is really pretty good; just needs a little correction.
sonics
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1634 Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2003 12:00 am Location: Canada

Post by The Elf »

Studiospares had (this morning) a deal on the AKG K702. I'd recommend those without a moment's hesitation. They are easily the best mixing headphones I've ever used.
The Elf
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 20028 Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Post by Aaron Straley »

Im in the market for new headphones and struggling with low end in my current pair as well (SACB1-SM). They sound kind f scooped in the mids and this messes with the bass

I see both these previously mentioned in this post for around $150. Tough choice I just dont know which would be better. Any insights? Looking for an upgrade from my current pair where I can be fairly confident of the bass response

Rode NTH-100s

AKG K702
Aaron Straley
Poster
Posts: 98 Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2022 12:25 pm Location: Pennsylvania, USA

Post by James Perrett »

Aaron - in an ideal world you would have both. The NTH-100 for tracking when you don't want any spill from the headphones to reach the microphone, and the 702 for mixing when you want the slightly better sound quality that you get from open backed headphones.

If you can only have one then you need to decide which use is more important though Sam seems to think that the Rode would be good for mixing in his review at

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/rode-nth-100
James Perrett
Posts: 14354 Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2001 12:00 am Location: The wilds of Hampshire
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Post by Jathon Delsy »

Thanks for your replies folk.
Two important considerations for me are sound leakage and build quality. As I use live microphones while streaming I of course do not want any tinny sound leakage. Another worry is stepping on the cable while performing. I used to do this with my Sennheiser HD480s which resulted in the cable being pulled right out of each can, which was unpleasant but resulted in no permanant damage. With my DT770s the cable connection is permenant, so I've just painfully jerked my ears and head, and for now the connection has held, although it's a worry that in the heat of extreme performance I'll step on the lead and rip the cable from the can. I note that my DT100s have a detatchable cable held by a little screw, which seems a great solution, but unfortunately these headphones do not sound any good!
Can anyone suggest a solution to this annoying issue.
Jathon Delsy
Regular
Posts: 154 Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2014 12:00 am Location: London, England.

Post by Drew Stephenson »

Sounds like the Rode's might be right up your street then.
Drew Stephenson
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 24583 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
(The forumuser formerly known as Blinddrew)
Ignore the post count, I still have no idea what I'm doing...
https://drewstephenson.bandcamp.com/