Cello with piano accompany in Church

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Cello with piano accompany in Church

Post by Tj001 »

Trying to record a cello audition in church, with a grand piano accompany. It is a medium size catholic church with high arc ceiling. There will be no audience so I can place mic and camera anywhere I like. As a beginner, I only have a sE8 omni pair to use, connected to ZOOM F6. Any suggestion on how to place this mic pair? Greatly appreciated.
Tj001
New here

Re: Cello with piano accompany in Church

Post by MOF »

If you want a stereo recording then use the microphones as spaced omnis and have the cellist positioned centrally in front of the piano soundboard. Hopefully they will self balance for levels.
You’ll have to experiment with how close the microphones are to the performers to balance with the amount of reverb in the room.
MOF
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2264 Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2003 12:00 am Location: United Kingdom

Post by Tj001 »

is there a rule of thumb for the space between omni mics? I have seen AB 30. Is 30 cm enough to create a good stereo image? Will 1-2 meters be better?
For cello distance, what is the range to try? Is 1 to 2 meters a good start?
Tj001
New here

Post by MOF »

I’ve never used spaced omnis so I can’t comment, I’m just suggesting what I’ve read. I think spacing them a meter apart could give you that ‘hole in the middle’ effect and might not be very Mono compatible, I think that’s where the Decca tree comes in with the third centrally positioned microphone.
I suggested the cellist being centrally positioned but you might want the cello to be slightly left or right.
The distance from performers to microphones is something to decide on while setting up/rehearsing as it depends on the amount of reverberation in the room.
MOF
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2264 Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2003 12:00 am Location: United Kingdom

Post by Bob Bickerton »

I’d use around 30cm spacing and focus on placement to get the best balance of cello versus piano versus room, bearing in mind if it’s for a cello audition you may give a little more emphasis to the cello so the adjudicators can make their assessment.

I’d probably also use the omnis 90 degrees off axis to attenuate any HF lift they may have on axis.

Bob
Bob Bickerton
Longtime Poster
Posts: 5090 Joined: Fri Dec 20, 2002 12:00 am Location: Nelson, New Zealand

Post by tacitus »

Nailed it, Bob! I can’t better any of your suggestions, not that I’m that clever, but I recorded with spaced omnis quite a bit when I wanted full, even bass for organs, etc. usually 30-60cm spacing.

I’d be looking to get the cello sufficiently nearer to the mikes than the piano that both players can play comfortably without the piano drowning the cello. That should help give the cello the extra focus Bob mentions.
tacitus
Frequent Poster

Post by Arpangel »

Everything has been said, I would just add cooperative players, who are prepared to move around, plenty of rehearsal time, and a decent control room space that’s isolated from the performance area, and this is what my job used to be, mic monkey, moving the mics so the engineer didn’t have to keep running backwards and forwards, and this is where talkback comes in handy.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by Tomás Mulcahy »

Before you do anything else, listen to the ensemble in the room. Once that is in your brain you will know what to capture. We're assuming it's a grand piano... is it?

A very tall mic stand is needed since the best part of the sound projects upwards. I've had success with a regular boom mic stand at almost full extension for a string quartet in a similar space. As well as the room reverb, you'll need to think about how close the mics are to the audience. People can make a lot of noise when they're not clapping. But you also want to capture a lively and enthusiastic sounding response.

Listen listen listen to the mic output with good isolated headphones and playbacks. Do not rush this part. Judge the mic width by ear and use a meter such as Izotope imager, you want it to mostly be between 0 and +1. IIRC I went to something like 33cm the last time. It depends on the room reverb mainly, but I don't usually analyse it that much I go by feel. With that quartet I was also trying to ensure that the second violin was clear because the soloist was often a bit on the loud side. Getting the mic stand to full height extension achieved that.

So much for my views. Here are some relevant articles from the magazine:
https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques ... ion-part-1
https://www.soundonsound.com/sound-advi ... cord-choir
Tomás Mulcahy
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2567 Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2001 12:00 am Location: Cork, Ireland.

Post by Arpangel »

Monitoring on phones in the space isn’t ideal, it can work if you have absolutely no choice, but a separate control room with small high quality monitors is always preferable.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by Bob Bickerton »

Gentlemen, best to read the op before commenting. It’s a grand piano, no audience and a recording for audition………. Best to keep it simple with focus on the cello to enable adjudicators to assess. Just checked out the frequency plot of SE8s - yes, I’d angle them 90 degrees off axis as suggested!

Bob
Bob Bickerton
Longtime Poster

Post by ceejay »

... without wishing to "rain on your parade" so as to speak, a few years ago I was called upon to record the national finals of the Young Virtuoso Awards which was a similar set-up of soloists in a church ... the preliminary heats had been recorded with a stereo pair much has been suggested here, in this case with a couple of Rode NT1000, but I opted to add two NT5 spot mics as well and record on a Roland R-44 ... just as well as it poured with rain throughout with the result that the stereo pair was almost useless and the spot mikes saved the day ... worth bearing in mind if there is no possibility of retakes ...
ceejay
Regular
Posts: 145 Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2003 12:00 am Location: somewhere in Oz

Post by Tomás Mulcahy »

Bob Bickerton wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:57 am Gentlemen, best to read the op before commenting. It’s a grand piano, no audience and a recording for audition………. Best to keep it simple with focus on the cello to enable adjudicators to assess. Just checked out the frequency plot of SE8s - yes, I’d angle them 90 degrees off axis as suggested!

Bob

Good call :) Why 90 degrees though?
Tomás Mulcahy
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2567 Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2001 12:00 am Location: Cork, Ireland.

Post by Tj001 »

Bob Bickerton wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:57 am Gentlemen, best to read the op before commenting. It’s a grand piano, no audience and a recording for audition………. Best to keep it simple with focus on the cello to enable adjudicators to assess. Just checked out the frequency plot of SE8s - yes, I’d angle them 90 degrees off axis as suggested!

Bob

really a newby question: What does 90 degree off axis look like? If I am holding the mics in front of the player, instead of pointing the mics to the cello (in the front), left mic pointing to left and right mic pointing to the right?
Tj001
New here

Post by Tj001 »

ceejay wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 11:47 am ... without wishing to "rain on your parade" so as to speak, a few years ago I was called upon to record the national finals of the Young Virtuoso Awards which was a similar set-up of soloists in a church ... the preliminary heats had been recorded with a stereo pair much has been suggested here, in this case with a couple of Rode NT1000, but I opted to add two NT5 spot mics as well and record on a Roland R-44 ... just as well as it poured with rain throughout with the result that the stereo pair was almost useless and the spot mikes saved the day ... worth bearing in mind if there is no possibility of retakes ...

So how did you place the two NT5 spot mics?
Tj001
New here

Post by Bob Bickerton »

Tomás Mulcahy wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 12:35 pm

Bob

Good call :) Why 90 degrees though?

The SE8, like many Omni SDCs, has a high frequency lift, so is tuned for use in the diffuse field. However, this lift is less prominent or even neutralised when used 90 degrees off axis to the source, the body of the microphone acting to attenuate higher frequencies.

Now whether the above scenario is deemed diffuse or near field is dependent on the distance the mics are used from the source, but either way recording a stringed instrument, especially if the player is a student (just guessing here), it would likely be best to avoid the HF lift and use a flatter response.

It’s a fairly common technique when recording piano in the near field say with Neumann KM183s to use them 90 degrees off axis.

Hugh come along and give a more technical response, but that’s the basic thinking.

Bob
Bob Bickerton
Longtime Poster

Post by James Perrett »

Bob Bickerton wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 2:03 pm Hugh come along and give a more technical response, but that’s the basic thinking.

Here's a post from Hugh from a few months ago...

https://www.soundonsound.com/forum/view ... ld#p808093

James Perrett
Posts: 14372 Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2001 12:00 am Location: The wilds of Hampshire
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Post by Drew Stephenson »

So for the OP, just to clarify, 90 degrees off axis means pointing vertically upwards rather than towards the instruments.
Drew Stephenson
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 24626 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
(The forumuser formerly known as Blinddrew)
Ignore the post count, I still have no idea what I'm doing...
https://drewstephenson.bandcamp.com/

Post by sonics »

It's all been covered well.
IME the other things to be aware of are traffic noise and visitors!
The mics higher up can work very well to get the best sound balance. Do quite a few short tests adjusting the placement to find the best spot. Once the audio is sorted, you are allowed to think about where the camera might be placed. :D

In this sort of situation I now often use IEMs for monitoring.
sonics
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1638 Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2003 12:00 am Location: Canada

Post by ceejay »

Tj001 wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 1:15 pmSo how did you place the two NT5 spot mics?

... there was nothing subtle there I assure you ... one was under the lid of the grand piano and the other was on the variety of soloists like soprano, violin, flute in a fast-moving, live show so, having not used the NT5 before, I dropped back into my TV audio days with KM84 and instructed my assistant to, in the short changeover time between acts, put the mic as close as possible and point it in the vague direction of where the sound was coming from without causing an obstruction ... the final winner was a classical guitarist who I'm sure gained extra points for persevering through the worst of the storm ... the guy who did the mix for the national radio broadcast told me that for her performance he used only the spot mic, dialled up a "church" stereo reverb preset and dropped it across the mic to roughly match the other contestants ... "belt and braces" sound production - like the boy scouts "be prepared" for anything!
ceejay
Regular
Posts: 145 Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2003 12:00 am Location: somewhere in Oz

Post by Arpangel »

Tj001 wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 1:08 pm really a newby question: What does 90 degree off axis look like? If I am holding the mics in front of the player, instead of pointing the mics to the cello (in the front), left mic pointing to left and right mic pointing to the right?

Isn’t it just 20 degrees less than an ORTF pair? Should look like a shallow ORTF?
Arpangel
Jedi Poster