Sometimes I just want a Montage.

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Moderator: Moderators

Sometimes I just want a Montage.

Post by Arpangel »

And nothing else, check out this clip from 4.26
The Samplebot feature is very cool, and it can take all my DX7 sounds.
Of course, I’ve reached critical mass so this post doesn’t really apply to me now :D
That clip though, I was floating there, talk about spacey.
It isn’t my modular, but it could easily be my Micron, and my DX7, the only thing I don’t like about the Montage is that silly flashing knob, but I do believe it’s possible to turn that off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xG2600NMq38
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Re: Sometimes I just want a Montage.

Post by BillB »

Arpangel wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:48 am Of course, I’ve reached critical mass so this post doesn’t really apply to me now :D

Well done for the pre-emptive strike, before anyone else could say it :bouncy:
BillB
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1915 Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2003 12:00 am Location: East Yorkshire

Post by N i g e l »

Not so quick Sir - If you put a beat from your modular into the Montage, it can use it to synchronise tempos, arps etc. It really is a spaceship. The FM is 8 operator & theres sample AWM as well. I think DX7 sounds can be directly used, or at least converted for the MODX/Montage.

There are also downloadable sound libraries, havily sampled from actual instruments, for :

Bossendorfer Imperial Grand,
Chick's Mark V Rhodes &
CS80

I think the MODX6 is the cheapest variant of that synth engine but it's cut down in construction, weight, kb action, front panel, polyphony, FLASH memory & USB audio lanes to PC. Still a plastic rocket !

Chick Corea on sampling his mark V for Yamaha:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUI79B7GEuM
N i g e l
Frequent Poster
Posts: 3688 Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:40 pm Location: British Isles

Post by Drew Stephenson »

always fade out in a montage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFrMLRQIT_k
Drew Stephenson
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 24566 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
(The forumuser formerly known as Blinddrew)
Ignore the post count, I still have no idea what I'm doing...
https://drewstephenson.bandcamp.com/

Post by sonics »

blinddrew wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 2:27 pm always fade out in a montage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFrMLRQIT_k

I thought Yes's Roundabout was about to play at the end of that. Now disappointed... :(
sonics
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1634 Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2003 12:00 am Location: Canada

Post by Drew Stephenson »

sonics wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 4:32 pm
blinddrew wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 2:27 pm always fade out in a montage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFrMLRQIT_k

I thought Yes's Roundabout was about to play at the end of that. Now disappointed... :(

Does this help? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3DcChXNyYQ
Drew Stephenson
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 24566 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
(The forumuser formerly known as Blinddrew)
Ignore the post count, I still have no idea what I'm doing...
https://drewstephenson.bandcamp.com/

Post by Arpangel »

BillB wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 1:00 pm
Arpangel wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:48 am Of course, I’ve reached critical mass so this post doesn’t really apply to me now :D

Well done for the pre-emptive strike, before anyone else could say it :bouncy:

Well spotted! :D

N i g e l wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 1:04 pm Not so quick Sir - If you put a beat from your modular into the Montage, it can use it to synchronise tempos, arps etc. It really is a spaceship. The FM is 8 operator & theres sample AWM as well. I think DX7 sounds can be directly used, or at least converted for the MODX/Montage.

There are also downloadable sound libraries, havily sampled from actual instruments, for :

Bossendorfer Imperial Grand,
Chick's Mark V Rhodes &
CS80

I think the MODX6 is the cheapest variant of that synth engine but it's cut down in construction, weight, kb action, front panel, polyphony, FLASH memory & USB audio lanes to PC. Still a plastic rocket !

Chick Corea on sampling his mark V for Yamaha:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUI79B7GEuM

Yes, it is very attractive, for any style of player, even me!
Major things for me, ability to transfer all of my DX7 sounds into a "real keyboard" and general all round sampling ability, plus those great Rhodes sounds, plus, loads of other sounds that could come in very useful in a one box gigging situation, superb built in effects, and an interface too, plus, 8 Op FM, the last time I used that was on an SY77, all in all, it could be good, but what size keyboard? also, could I get away with the MODX?
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by N i g e l »

The main point to note from my perspective is that theres more sample FLASH memory on the Montage.

The MODX only has 1G FLASH memory which may be too little to have all the big sample libraries in there at the same time.

The keyboards vary not only in size but in action & after touch.

https://yamahamusicians.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12119
N i g e l
Frequent Poster

Post by Arpangel »

N i g e l wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 12:14 am The main point to note from my perspective is that theres more sample FLASH memory on the Montage.

The MODX only has 1G FLASH memory which may be too little to have all the big sample libraries in there at the same time.

The keyboards vary not only in size but in action & after touch.

https://yamahamusicians.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12119

Thanks for the comparison, I’m not going to be taxing the synth when it comes to samples, I’m going to be using this mainly for Rhodes, acoustic piano at gigs, my old DX7 sounds, and maybe a few new electronic explorations, all I want is a one box solution to take to jams, gigs, and a controller keyboard for my studio, so I’m wondering, do the knobs and sliders transmit CC data?
The MODX? it’s attraction is it’s weight, or lack of it! I’m after a slightly larger keyboard, for pianos, the positions of the mod wheels really don’t bother me on either machine. The cost difference of course, is very significant.
The Montage is a nice board, internal PSU, great, fully weighted keys, the whole thing inspires confidence, and for me, the external audio inputs would be great to connect a small mixer to, for mixing in my modular etc, if need be.
This is a major purchase, for me, and I’m thinking I’ll probably get the Montage, no point in cutting corners, and then regretting it, I love Yamaha stuff, and the FM sounds have always been part of my music, and having them in there along with all the other amazing things this can do is actually a very exciting prospect.

PS! F**k!
I don’t believe it! It can actually sample my VSTi's! via Sample Robot, that’s just mental, if that really is the case, this could be completely beyond for me, I’m imagining having all my Reason pianos in there, my Reaktor stuff, this really is going to be very exciting, understement.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by Martin Walker »

Sad, but true...

In the current economic and political environment, I misread this thread title as

Sometimes I just want a Mortgage.:beamup:
Martin Walker
Posts: 20632 Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:44 am Location: Cornwall, UK

Post by adrian_k »

… so that you can buy a Montage?
adrian_k
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2652 Joined: Thu Jan 30, 2003 12:00 am Location: Gloucestershire
Above all, be kind.

Post by BJG145 »

I misread the thread title as

Sometimes I just want a Montague

BJG145
Longtime Poster

Post by N i g e l »

You old romantic BG145.

I miss read the current MODX shop price as 30% higher than what I paid

:crazy::crazy::crazy:

but it was for a MODX+, Which is different, more sample memory for 1 thing.

The world of Montage/MODX is very dynamic. The Bossendorfer library was free to download, then it was $99 [but there was an online voucher for 99$] and now its totally free again.
The sample Robot [for Yamaha] app was free but now its only free for Montage. I put my MODX serial number in but no joy.
:(
N i g e l
Frequent Poster

Post by The Elf »

I long ago created my own simple 'Sample Robot' template for Kontakt and Cubase that enables me to rustle up a working sample set from any (MIDI) hardware/software instrument in short order. It's rough and ready, quick and simple, if a tad wasteful on memory. I'm happy to share the technique if anyone is interested, or maybe it's one for the publication...
The Elf
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 20022 Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Post by Arpangel »

The only thing stopping me now is the lack of a "mind reader" button, it doesn’t seem to have one.
A feature that reads my mind and instantly performs button pushes and menu diving on an epic scale, I want something that looks and functions like a Prophet 5, but has all the power of of a large super computer.

:D
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by Rich Hanson »

If it read your mind though we could potentially have our first instance of machine suicide :bouncy:
Rich Hanson
Frequent Poster
Posts: 3316 Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2003 12:00 am Location: Sort of near Rochester, Kent, UK

Post by RichardT »

A big lesson for me from the One Synth Challenge is that the choice of synth isn't that important - as long as you have a capable modern synth, you can do almost anything with it.

That's not to say that physical devices can't be inspirational to play and use, though.
RichardT
Frequent Poster
Posts: 4163 Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2004 12:00 am Location: Ireland

Post by N i g e l »

Arpangel wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 8:45 am The only thing stopping me now is the lack of a "mind reader" button, it doesn’t seem to have one.

It does have an SD reader tho. I find SD a less volatile, more robust format than mind.

Also, was it mentioned that the "arp"eggiator has 10,000 preset patterns ? :shocked:

e.g. theres up, down, alternate and some others.....
N i g e l
Frequent Poster

Post by N i g e l »

The Elf wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:13 pm I long ago created my own simple 'Sample Robot'...... or maybe it's one for the publication...

thats a good idea. When was the last sampling series of articles, quite a while ago ?
Although sampling went PC & mainstream, there are still some who prefer the old machines and of course theres the resurgence of the small sampling things like Korg Volca or Elektrons.
N i g e l
Frequent Poster

Post by Arpangel »

N i g e l wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 1:52 pm there are still some who prefer the old machines and of course theres the resurgence of the small sampling things like Korg Volca or Elektrons.

It’ll be quite ironic, that I’ll have my MicroGranny on a redundant space on my Montage.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster