Synth collection at Studio Bell

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Moderator: Moderators

Synth collection at Studio Bell

Post by Luke W »

I've recently returned from a rather delayed honeymoon, part of which was spent in Calgary. Whilst we were there my lovely wife took me to the National Music Centre at Studio Bell, where they have, amongst lots of other cool things, an entire floor occupied by old synthesizers, audio equipment and other instruments.

There's a good collection of the obvious classics, along with some weird and wonderful bits and pieces and one-off custom instruments. I spent quite a long time wandering around, reading things and taking photos, and thought that there's probably people on here who'd be interested in said pictures.
The last picture is the view into part of the tech team's workshop, full of things that are presumably either going to end up on display or are being restored/repaired for use in the studios there.

A very cool place. :thumbup:
Luke W
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1542 Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:00 am Location: Northamptonshire, UK

Re: Synth collection at Studio Bell

Post by Folderol »

That's quite a collection. One could spend a lot of time there :D
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Posts: 18214 Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:00 am Location: The Mudway Towns, UK
Yes. I am that Linux nut {apparently now an 'elderly'}
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Post by BJG145 »

Great!
BJG145
Longtime Poster

Post by muzines »

Stereo Minimoog..! ;)
muzines
Jedi Poster
..............................mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio  | Legacy Logic Project Conversion

Post by nathanscribe »

Ooooh, nice!
nathanscribe
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1483 Joined: Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:00 am Location: Wakefield, for my sins.
I have no idea what I'm doing.

Post by Arpangel »

Luke W wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 6:36 pm I've recently returned from a rather delayed honeymoon, part of which was spent in Calgary. Whilst we were there my lovely wife took me to the National Music Centre at Studio Bell, where they have, amongst lots of other cool things, an entire floor occupied by old synthesizers, audio equipment and other instruments.

There's a good collection of the obvious classics, along with some weird and wonderful bits and pieces and one-off custom instruments. I spent quite a long time wandering around, reading things and taking photos, and thought that there's probably people on here who'd be interested in said pictures.
The last picture is the view into part of the tech team's workshop, full of things that are presumably either going to end up on display or are being restored/repaired for use in the studios there.

A very cool place. :thumbup:

That Buchla box, I’d be up for a one synth challenge if I had that, or was lent it.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by Martin Walker »

Wow - there are some mighty unusual synths in those photos! :o8-)
Martin Walker
Posts: 20639 Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:44 am Location: Cornwall, UK

Post by muzines »

Martin Walker wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 11:53 pm Wow - there are some mighty unusual synths in those photos! :o8-)

And an M1! :lol:
muzines
Jedi Poster
..............................mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio  | Legacy Logic Project Conversion

Post by Arpangel »

OK, who’s up for a visit? clubs, society’s, etc etc, they sometimes have outings, an annual "jolly"
All of us synth fans could all chip-in and go visit this place, it would be "immense fun" (understatement) or do I need to take my medication?

:D
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by MarkOne »

Arpangel wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 6:04 am OK, who’s up for a visit? clubs, society’s, etc etc, they sometimes have outings, an annual "jolly"
All of us synth fans could all chip-in and go visit this place, it would be "immense fun" (understatement) or do I need to take my medication?

:D

I used all my air miles (blew the lot, 20 years of business travel) a few years ago, And even an economy ticket might be a stretch for a boys weekend away to Calgary :beamup:

But it does look like a fun place to visit.
MarkOne
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2742 Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:00 am Location: Bristol, England, Earth, Perseus Gap, Milky Way
My Music on Apple Music
My Music on Spotify

Post by BigRedX »

I hope all those instruments get used regularly and aren't just on display for synth geeks to gawk at.
BigRedX
Frequent Poster
RockinRollin' VampireMan

Post by Luke W »

BigRedX wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:28 am I hope all those instruments get used regularly and aren't just on display for synth geeks to gawk at.

There are definitely some that look like they're permanently set up for geeks-a-gawkin', but there are also some studios there that seem to be putting lots of nice things to good use.
Luke W
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1542 Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:00 am Location: Northamptonshire, UK

Post by Arpangel »

BigRedX wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:28 am I hope all those instruments get used regularly and aren't just on display for synth geeks to gawk at.

I can never figure out, even in a lot of working studios, why people put keyboards on high stands, you certainly can’t play properly at that height, and any form of in-depth knob twiddling is definitely out.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by Drew Stephenson »

Maybe just off camera there's one of those mobile set of stairs like they have in libraries?
Only with a set of LEDs taped to the side to make it blend in...
Drew Stephenson
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 24639 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
(The forumuser formerly known as Blinddrew)
Ignore the post count, I still have no idea what I'm doing...
https://drewstephenson.bandcamp.com/

Post by Arpangel »

blinddrew wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 8:51 am Maybe just off camera there's one of those mobile set of stairs like they have in libraries?
Only with a set of LEDs taped to the side to make it blend in...

That’s one hell of a good idea, Mr Drew.

:)
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by MarkOne »

Arpangel wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 7:17 am

I can never figure out, even in a lot of working studios, why people put keyboards on high stands, you certainly can’t play properly at that height, and any form of in-depth knob twiddling is definitely out.

In my stranger moments I've thought of a multi-tier keyboard stand that had the top tier keyboard about 30cm above head height, with the keyboard itself mounted vertically (so with a Moog form-factor the knobs would angle down towards you)
MarkOne
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2742 Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:00 am Location: Bristol, England, Earth, Perseus Gap, Milky Way
My Music on Apple Music
My Music on Spotify

Post by Arpangel »

MarkOne wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:44 am
Arpangel wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 7:17 am

In my stranger moments I've thought of a multi-tier keyboard stand that had the top tier keyboard about 30cm above head height, with the keyboard itself mounted vertically (so with a Moog form-factor the knobs would angle down towards you)

It’s very tiring, and makes my arms ache reaching up all the time.
I think about pipe organ manuals, on large organs, they never seemed to bother me, the height and distance was never uncomfortable, an organ console is a perfect layout, you never have to strain, a keyboard studio should be the same.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by The Elf »

Arpangel wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 7:17 amI can never figure out, even in a lot of working studios, why people put keyboards on high stands, you certainly can’t play properly at that height, and any form of in-depth knob twiddling is definitely out.

Because (as in my own case) they are being driven from another keyboard and editor. A good example is/was my Yamaha reface series keyboards - never meant to be played from their own keyboards, or edited from their own controls, so they can go way up high out of the way.
The Elf
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 20053 Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Post by Drew Stephenson »

I did think of your set up Elf and wondered how you managed.
Your explanation explains everything! :D
Drew Stephenson
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 24639 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
(The forumuser formerly known as Blinddrew)
Ignore the post count, I still have no idea what I'm doing...
https://drewstephenson.bandcamp.com/

Post by Sam Inglis »

Is that the collection that belongs to the Audities Foundation? If so I think they also have the red wraparound Helios console from 10CC's Strawberry Studios and a bunch of other very cool recording equipment. I hope it all gets used.
Sam Inglis