Optimising Cubase performance on iMac 2017?

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Moderator: Moderators

Optimising Cubase performance on iMac 2017?

Post by c_h_music »

I use a 2017 iMac 4k running Cubase 10.5 (latest update) and Mac OS 10.15 Catalina, along with a bunch of VSTs and 3rd party plugins (Waves, Komplete, Soundtoys). I'm trying to optimise for real-time performance and have tried everything I can think of (reducing VSTs, lower cpu FX, tweaking buffer, ASIO guard settings etc. running at 32 bit instead of 64bit) but I'm still getting very occasional glitches when I want them least.

I have 8Gb ram, which isn't great, but this is one of the iMacs where you cannot replace ram.... upgrading the computer is not an option.

Does anyone know if either of the following (or both) would improve real-time performance (other things being equal):

1. upgrading OS 10.15, to OS 11 or 12 (latest, though 13 is due)?
2. upgrading Cubase 10.5 to 12 (latest)

In my experience, upgrading Cubase means a heavier application that reduces overall performance, but *sometimes* upgrading OS improves performance. Anyone with specific experience with these particular upgrades, or suggestions of whether to try one or both?
c_h_music
Poster

Re: Optimising Cubase performance on iMac 2017?

Post by RichardT »

12, for me, uses more resources than 11 did, so I think it’s likely the same is true in relation to 10.5.
RichardT
Frequent Poster
Posts: 4166 Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2004 12:00 am Location: Ireland

Post by sonics »

You've not mentioned what audio interface you are using. Why not try changing that?
You could also try another DAW to help find the problem.
Your computer should be capable of glitch-free performance.
sonics
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1634 Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2003 12:00 am Location: Canada

Post by c_h_music »

@RichardT: good to know, thanks for the info
@sonics: my interface is focusrite 18i20, it's great and not a bottleneck. i'm pushing Cubase pretty hard, a lot of instruments, FX, etc. and using lowest latency i can for fluid playing. glitches are only occasional, but i need to reduce to zero. what i'm really looking for is how to extract every last bit of juice from the setup, hence wondering if upgrading either the app or OS would be a step change.
c_h_music
Poster

Post by The Elf »

c_h_music wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:11 pm i'm pushing Cubase pretty hard, a lot of instruments, FX, etc. and using lowest latency i can for fluid playing.

All computers will ultimately run out of steam, so you will have to compromise at some stage. Use freeze, use render in place, print effects, accept higher latency when you can.
The Elf
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 20026 Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Post by c_h_music »

Does anyone have any experience with the first thing i queried, running Cubase 10.5 after upgrading Mac OS from 10.15 to Mac OS 11 or Mac OS 12? I've heard some applications do get speedier under the more recent OS, but can't find anything specifically about Cubase or even other DAWs.
c_h_music
Poster

Post by RichardT »

I’ve done Mac OS upgrades, but I’ve never had an impression of any performance change to the audio processing.
RichardT
Frequent Poster
Posts: 4166 Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2004 12:00 am Location: Ireland