Synth recommendations

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Moderator: Moderators

Synth recommendations

Post by doggytrainer »

So this Synthfest thing. Last time I was there I bought some synths. That was a few years ago. Now I am returning and I fancy treating myself to some more gear.

I have not kept at all up to date with synths in the last 2-3 years. What are some really sexy synths I can check out with a view to buying?

Merci.
doggytrainer
Poster

Re: Synth recommendations

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

If you can't find what you need in Music Tech a quick flick through the last couple of years of SOS should answer that... :lol:
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 39015 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Post by Martin Walker »

Oh dear, Hugh and I seem to have started a trend :mrgreen:

On the other hand, we've both bought an ASM Hydrasynth, which might just be the sort of synth you're looking for :thumbup:
Martin Walker
Posts: 20639 Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:44 am Location: Cornwall, UK

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

I can definitely recommend the Hydrasynth (especially the Deluxe version which is astonishingly good value for money). If your budget is considerably larger, there are the modern Oberheims, Prophets and so on, or for much less lots of Behringer cloans of interesting retro things.
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 39015 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Post by Luke W »

I currently own 0 synths so there will be lots of people here that are better placed to make suggestions, but for what it's worth, the one that keeps turning my head is the Novation Summit.
Luke W
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1540 Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:00 am Location: Northamptonshire, UK

Post by The Elf »

The Hydrasynth and Summit are both gorgeous synths.

My favourite keyboard-less synth remains MicroMonsta 2, if you already have a controller keyboard (MM2 works well with a poly AT/MPE keyboard).

For a monosynth with oodles of character the Behringer 2600 takes some beating. The Dreadbox Typhon is a fine synth too, if you can live with restricted controls in return for immediacy and compact form.

Of course you could always begin to contemplate Eurorack, especially if you're attending Synthfest - there's plenty of advice and guidance on offer there.

We seem to be in a golden age for synths. Long may it endure.
The Elf
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 20040 Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Post by doggytrainer »

Oooh thanks for the recs!

I am goggling as we speak.
doggytrainer
Poster

Post by doggytrainer »

Oh yeah, love that Hydrasynth deluxe!
doggytrainer
Poster

Post by The Elf »

doggytrainer wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 9:53 pm Oh yeah, love that Hydrasynth deluxe!

It's as good as it looks, and as good as they say. And I also agree with the view above that it's something of a bargain. Love mine.
The Elf
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 20040 Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Post by bonefixer »

What’s it for? After extensive research and prevarication I just got a Nord Wave 2 as I want it mainly for a live rig. For studio/recording/sound design look at an Arturia PolyBrute. Hydrasynth also, but I tried and didn’t like.
bonefixer
Poster
Posts: 70 Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2022 10:08 pm Location: Isle of Man
Gear: Loads of guitars, Line 6 Helix, Yamaha THR30 amp
Bechstein 1932 5’3” Grand Piano, Yamaha CP88, Yamaha YC61, Nord Wave2, Korg Opsix, Arturia KeyLab88, MacBook Pro, Mainstage, MAudio and Presonus interfaces, Behringer XAir mixer…

Post by Arpangel »

I have no idea what you’re going to use it for, or what type of music you make, I can only give personal recommendations based on what I really like.
Hypothetical, top of my head type things, that I own, or want to own, budget irrelevant.

Moog Grandmother/Matriarch just beautiful examples of the Moog sound, these still have it.

Prophet 5/10 the essence and model of what the perfect polysynth should be, ergonomically perfect.

Moog Model 10 like a vintage cello, and just as expressive.

Get into Eurorack, buy a nice big case, and start a journey that will make Alice In Wonderland seem like a boring walk in the park.

Mega FM, just beautiful.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster