Suggestions for Software Piano instruments

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Moderator: Moderators

Suggestions for Software Piano instruments

Post by Baldo »

I'm possibly looking for a software piano to connect to my old Technics SX-P50 Stage piano. Any suggestions would be welcomed. I have decent mixer and speakers so should be able to get a nice rich deep sound.

I have both a PC and a MacBook Pro so wither of those could be used for this.

I have checked out pianoteq as recommended by one of my other posts here. I would would love to hear of other applications that might also be very good. Even though I just want a piano sound initially I suppose something that can also do Synths might be nice but not necessary.

Many thanks once again for any help here.
Baldo
Regular
Posts: 273 Joined: Thu Dec 12, 2002 12:00 am Location: Germany
"Never put a recording studio in your home, it is a black hole into which you can pour unlimited amounts of money" Pete Waterman.

Re: Suggestions for Software Piano instruments

Post by Drew Stephenson »

Are you looking for a standalone application or something that can be played through a DAW? If the latter then it's worth checking out the options from Spitfire LABS. Mostly more experimental than standard sounds but there are various piano options in there that might be of interest.
Drew Stephenson
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 24633 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
(The forumuser formerly known as Blinddrew)
Ignore the post count, I still have no idea what I'm doing...
https://drewstephenson.bandcamp.com/

Post by RichardT »

I have 7 or 8 sampled pianos, plus Pianoteq. My favourite by a long way is Noire by Native instruments.

To run it you need the free Kontakt Player software, also from Native Instruments.
RichardT
Frequent Poster
Posts: 4187 Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2004 12:00 am Location: Ireland

Post by Baldo »

I would essentially use it via my PC (which has a nice Juli@ sound card with ASIO drivers). I dont use it as a DAW.

I use a MacBook Pro running Logic Pro for the DAW (when I hook it up!!), and the audio interface for that is a nice Apoogee Duet, beautiful sound.

I have been playing around with Pianoteq and I must admit that the Steniway D piano sound does sound a lot better than the sound I get from my Technics.
I assume that that will just cost me the price of pianoteq since it includes two instrument choices.
Baldo
Regular
"Never put a recording studio in your home, it is a black hole into which you can pour unlimited amounts of money" Pete Waterman.

Post by sonics »

Such an oft-trod path!

From your other thread we know you like a "Steinway". What sort of Steinway. Bright, bold modern classical? What is you repertoire, playing style, ability?

There are some dozen or so good pianos in my collection, and many, many more on the market.

Assuming a classical grand piano, but not too warm (i.e. discounting Boesendorfers) for use in solo playing, I like:
EastWest (Steinway or Yamaha C7)
Garritan (Steinway)
Ravenscroft
Ivory II
AcousticSamples Yamaha C7
8Dio Steinway (1969)
(I've think I've forgotten a couple since I'm not at the studio computer.)

Those to me are the most realistic for a range of classical and jazz styles.
The absence of Pianoteq indicates that, although it is indeed an excellent product, there is something too dry about the sound for me. It's a little too perfect, even when the imperfections are added. Like a meal with a subtle but essential ingredient missing.

This is all very personal. Play all the demos you can.

Good luck in your quest, brave Sir Baldo!
sonics
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1639 Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2003 12:00 am Location: Canada

Post by RichardT »

I find Pianoteq a bit strange. Sometimes it sounds a bit clanky to my ears.

I would definitely recommend listening to some good sampled pianos before you make a final decision.
RichardT
Frequent Poster

Post by N i g e l »

Baldo wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 12:27 pmAny suggestions would be welcomed.

If you want somthing more down to earth, LivingRoom Upright Piano is nice

https://www.soundonsound.com/news/livin ... keypleezer
N i g e l
Frequent Poster
Posts: 3712 Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:40 pm Location: British Isles

Post by Peevy »

RichardT wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 5:35 pm I find Pianoteq a bit strange. Sometimes it sounds a bit clanky to my ears.

Same here. Hard to pinpoint, but it doesn’t sit right with me. Something about the overtones?

I keep returning to the Galaxy Vintage D. It’s pretty old now, but I find it sits well in a busy mix and stands alone well in something more sparse. This was the review in Sound On Sound back in 2010:

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/galaxy-vintage-d
Peevy
Regular

Post by sonics »

Peevy wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 12:26 am I keep returning to the Galaxy Vintage D.

That's a lovely piano indeed. I felt it didn't work as well solo compared to some newer pianos, so it lost its place in my "squad"!
sonics
Frequent Poster

Post by ajay_m »

The best classical piano I've heard is Embertones, which is sampled from a Steinway. More a jazz piano but Alicia's Keys is also very playable. Most of the rest I've looked at have one or two notes that jump out and become very annoying over time.
ajay_m
Frequent Poster

Post by MaestroMikeT »

I’m a classically trained pianist, doing mostly modern jazz/classical original pieces. And although there’s really no substitute for a real grand - it’s not just the sound but that inexplicable connection between keyboard feel and response, and the infinite sound timbres being generated - I have come to the conclusion that, from my own collection of piano recreations, two stand out:
- the sampled engine on my Nord Piano 3 (better, the different pianos in Nord collection) together with their great keybed;
- an ancient but extremely musical modeling plugin, 4Front True Pianos, to wich I recur over and over again. It’s really old by today’s standards, but very well coded, and very tweakeable. And really inspiring, wich I have as one of the top qualities such a plug-in or library must have.
MaestroMikeT
Poster

Post by sonics »

MaestroMikeT wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 10:36 am - an ancient but extremely musical modeling plugin, 4Front True Pianos

Thanks for that reminder. I recall having one or two of their models. I also remember liking them, but assumed they would have been surpassed, so didn't install them on my latest system. Is that the product with gemstones for names? I'll have to see if my installers can be found. 32-bit, I suppose?

The Nord is excellent, but pricey of course. Earlier versions weren't that good, IMO.

If you had to use a sample library, do you have any favourites?
sonics
Frequent Poster

Post by MaestroMikeT »

Amazing as it is, 4Font is 64 bit! I’m happily using it in Nuendo ever since Steinberg made the switch to 64-bit only (tried J-Bridge with a couple of vsts and vstis but decided it wasn’t worth the instability).
Yeah, Nord is pricey, and to be honest I find their products, albeit really good, a tad over-expensive. They now they have a good reputation and they capitalize on it, I guess that’s the way of the world… A bonus: I was torned between the Piano 3 and the Stage 3 88, and the Piano was almost 1000€ cheaper AND HAS A BETTER KEYBED!!!! :):)
About sample libraries I used Ivory II on a friend’s PC, never bought it, not bad, but I remember using the Alicia Keys Piano at a studio in Lisbon (just to lay last-minute very simple piano licks in a busy R&B mix) and it surely grabbed my attention. The Garritan is also nice, but neither steared me way from the TruePianos. I bought Pianoteq, but never escaped that “over-clear-in-not-a-very-lifelike-way” feeling. Superb for specific tasks, but not my cup of tea for more proeminent piano parts.
MaestroMikeT
Poster

Post by Baldo »

Question about Embertones,

I like the sound, but what do i need to play this? Do I need some kind of virtual instrument or a sampler. It requires 200GB of disc space which is not really an issue.

Is this some thing that I could use in Logic Pro on my Mac or is is virtual instrument that is trigger via usb midi like Pianoteq.

thanks for all the suggestions. I do like the sounds of some of these.
Baldo
Regular

Post by Baldo »

Ok, is Embertones to be used with the Native Instruments Kontakt player? And is Kontact a Free application or will I have to buy that as well???
Baldo
Regular

Post by zdawgster »

MaestroMikeT's response is very interesting and brings back a lot of memories. Back in 2009/2010 I also used the free version of 4font true pianos while practicing. I was a student at the time and when I wasn't at the university I would practice at home on my Yamaha digital. But at times I wasn't satisfied with the sound. Somehow came across True pianos and it was a nice change from the Yamaha. So I would kind of go back and forth between the two!
I never had the pleasure of trying the Nord pianos but have heard a lot about them. I did try out Pianoteq a few times but even though I really like the idea of a physically modeled instrument and it does have a lot of potential, it somehow is lacking a kind of depth to the sound or something....
For me whenever I tried a virtual piano, I always struggled to get the velocity response set up well to work with the software. The connection between your hands/fingers and the sound is the more important aspect and will always trump a more "realistic" sound.
zdawgster
New here

Post by adrian_k »

Baldo wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 12:03 am Ok, is Embertones to be used with the Native Instruments Kontakt player? And is Kontact a Free application or will I have to buy that as well???

In case this question gets missed…

From the Embertone website, Steinway D instrument:
Compatible with Kontakt Player 5.7+ or Kontakt Full 5.4.1+

Kontakt player is a free download from Native Instruments.

The Tiny Grand instrument appears to require full Kontakt.
adrian_k
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2662 Joined: Thu Jan 30, 2003 12:00 am Location: Gloucestershire
Above all, be kind.

Post by Baldo »

Kontact may be a free download but is that the one that I can use or will that be the trial limited one? It seems that the free one is just to try things out.

Or am I mistaken?
Baldo
Regular

Post by RichardT »

Baldo wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 12:45 pm Kontact may be a free download but is that the one that I can use or will that be the trial limited one? It seems that the free one is just to try things out.

Or am I mistaken?

You can use Kontakt player indefinitely.
RichardT
Frequent Poster

Post by blakedirksen »

You can use the free Kontakt player but some sample libraries haven't paid the licensing fee so you have to upgrade to the "full" player for those to work.

One place to start is pianobook. Hundreds of sample libraries to choose from and you can sort by whichever player interface you want to use (I use Full Kontakt).

https://www.pianobook.co.uk

The piano samples in Logic also are not terrible so you may want to check what you already own.

Lastly as someone above mentioned, I also really like the spitfire piano samples. In particular the Mrs. Mills piano and the Firewood pianos. They are only $29 and come with their own plug in so no worries about the player. The history on the Mrs. Mills piano is incredible so it is worth the $29 bucks to read up on and then play around with it and feel like you are at Abbey Road.

Have fun!
blakedirksen
Poster
Posts: 68 Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:29 pm Location: Coralville, Iowa USA