Anyone had experience of Jaspers stands?

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Moderator: Moderators

Anyone had experience of Jaspers stands?

Post by MarkOne »

OK, my ageing X stand with extension arms (which my wife and I worked out is around 25 years old) is going. No question, my next trip to the recycling centre, it's going to be tossed into the scrap metal bin.

Mostly because as I got a little enthusiastic last weekend at a wedding gig, one arm of the the top tier (which I had tightened up well during set up) took it to itself to droop, dumping one end of the Roland Gaia into the Impulse (Whereupon said Gaia pressed one of the drum pads on the impulse letting out a random supersaw note)

Luckily the Roland weighs very little and I could one-handed get it upright again and with a little twisting held it and the offending arm while tightening the bolt on the damn thing. (All during the verse of a Bryan Adams number that fortunately had little in the way of a keyboard part!) I'm glad I chose the Gaia as the lead synth controller, and not my first thought to go all in with the Moog Sub37!!!

I've been thinking about reviewing my live rig and getting it all on one 3 tier stand, but it needs to be stable enough for my 88 note Arturia on the bottom (which up until now gets its own Ultimate V stand to my left)

The 3 tier Jaspers looks pretty stable, (Albeit a bit '80s - But then so is a lot of our covers repertoire!!!) But anyone have direct experience of them? Or any other suggestions?
MarkOne
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2742 Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:00 am Location: Bristol, England, Earth, Perseus Gap, Milky Way
My Music on Apple Music
My Music on Spotify

Re: Anyone had experience of Jaspers stands?

Post by BillB »

There will be others along with real 'live' experience - unlike me. I do have a 3-tier Jaspers stand in my studio and like it very much - totally reliable in that role. But I don't think of it as a gigging piece of kit, more for a static installation. I think it would be a bit fiddly for being put up and taken down every night, and suspect that there are better options designed for gigging - something like a 3-tier version of this?
https://plasmamusic.tv/2019/09/01/ultim ... hone-boom/
BillB
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1915 Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2003 12:00 am Location: East Yorkshire

Post by MarkOne »

Thanks Bill

I do in fact have the Ultimate Support Apex stand with the extra long 3rd tier arms for the lowest board. But with a heavy 88 note beast on the lower tier it does start to feel a little unstable.
MarkOne
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2742 Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:00 am Location: Bristol, England, Earth, Perseus Gap, Milky Way
My Music on Apple Music
My Music on Spotify

Post by BillB »

Fair comment, I did wonder how the three legs would feel with larger keyboards. Certainly the Jaspers A-frame is very stable.

Think you will have to leave it to the SOS keyboard pro’s to advise.
BillB
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1915 Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2003 12:00 am Location: East Yorkshire

Post by fatbenelton »

Had several Jasper’s stand and they are great for home/studio use. If I was gigging I don’t think they would be my first choice and I’d look at things like the K&M Omega or Spider stands.
fatbenelton
Frequent Poster
Posts: 701 Joined: Thu Aug 22, 2002 12:00 am Location: Liverpool, UK
Jonny

Post by The Elf »

As above, the Jaspers are generally fine for a permanent installation, but I wouldn't want to gig with them.
The Elf
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 20049 Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

I've used a Sequenz stand which is fast and easy to rig and de-rig on stage.

https://sequenzmusicgear.com/en/products/

Available in different widths and heights. Single and dual tier sets are available, but I bought an extra shelf and use it as a three tier quite successfully (although that will depend on how much access you need to top surface controls/displays).
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 39024 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Post by bonefixer »

The K&M Spider Pro is excellent, and designed for gigging - really quick assembly/disassembly. It is 2 layers as standard but you can get a third set of arms or use the laptop stand on top for a small keyboard.
bonefixer
Poster
Posts: 70 Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2022 10:08 pm Location: Isle of Man
Gear: Loads of guitars, Line 6 Helix, Yamaha THR30 amp
Bechstein 1932 5’3” Grand Piano, Yamaha CP88, Yamaha YC61, Nord Wave2, Korg Opsix, Arturia KeyLab88, MacBook Pro, Mainstage, MAudio and Presonus interfaces, Behringer XAir mixer…

Post by The Elf »

bonefixer wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 11:47 pm The K&M Spider Pro is excellent, and designed for gigging - really quick assembly/disassembly. It is 2 layers as standard but you can get a third set of arms or use the laptop stand on top for a small keyboard.

I've seen one collapse on stage (nearly taking a Voyager with it) through metal fatigue, so I wouldn't touch this stand. But others say they're fine, so...
The Elf
Forum Aficionado

Post by MarkOne »

The Elf wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 8:07 am
bonefixer wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 11:47 pm The K&M Spider Pro is excellent, and designed for gigging - really quick assembly/disassembly. It is 2 layers as standard but you can get a third set of arms or use the laptop stand on top for a small keyboard.

I've seen one collapse on stage (nearly taking a Voyager with it) through metal fatigue, so I wouldn't touch this stand. But others say they're fine, so...

Eek!

Elf: I seem to remember you were quite enthusiastic about Stay stands. Do you have any experience of this one? On the Stay website they seem to do advertise it as their “piano” model and look like they do another tier as an optional extra, but so far, I haven’t seen that on sale anywhere.
MarkOne
Frequent Poster
My Music on Apple Music
My Music on Spotify

Post by The Elf »

I do like the Stay stands I have. They are a good compromise between portability, speed of setting up and stability.

That said, the example you point to I have no experience of, and I'm a tad wary of the weight those lower legs might have to accommodate.
The Elf
Forum Aficionado

Post by Eddy Deegan »

I have two Jaspers A-frame stands (one 3-tier, one 5-tier) and a 2-tier Stay stand in my studio.

I wouldn't use the Jaspers for gigging myself. They are strong but they are a little fiddly to assemble and are held together by plastic fittings that I suspect wouldn't hold up well to repeated setup and takedowns.

There are lock-rings on each tier (to prevent forward/back rotation) but these have a fairly shallow 'tooth' and can appear to be engaged when in fact they aren't. There's scope for setup error if in a hurry, and they require a large footprint on the stage. Great for the studio though.

The Stay stand has an impressive weight-bearing capability up to 65Kg (143lb) per tier but the top arms will only accomodate an instrument up to 38cm front-back (the lower ones up to 45cm). Mine comfortably holds a Yamaha Motif XS8 on the lower and a Novation Summit on the uppers.

I see that Stay also do 3-tier stands but I've no experience of those, though the 2-tiers are extremely good. More details on the 3-tiers can be found here. They can support up to a total of 120Kg with a max load of 40Kg per tier.
Eddy Deegan
Posts: 8845 Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 12:00 am Location: Brighton & Hove, UK
Some of my works | The SOS Forum Album projects  

Post by Chimera »

I’ve had a 3 tier Jaspers but got rid because the A shape takes up a lot of floor space. I have 3 K&M Omega 18810 stands, each with 3 tiers. They are rock-solid and very quick to set up. They are expensive but having had a bundled X stand fail with a Kawai MP7 I swore “never again.”

https://www.thomann.de/gb/km_omega_1881 ... i-EALw_wcB
Chimera
Regular
Posts: 268 Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:00 am Location: Wirral
Mac Studio Ultra M2
64GB.

Post by Martin Walker »

I've got the K&M Omega 18810 Black Set, and am very pleased with it (and also like you I discounted the Jasper A-frame stands for taking up too much space.

For me in a small home studio, K&M gave my synths the look of furniture/instruments, whereas any A-frame designs to my mind had a warehouse/industrial feel. However, if I owned twice as many synths as I do, an A-frame would be more practical for stacking them.
Martin Walker
Posts: 20639 Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:44 am Location: Cornwall, UK

Post by MarkOne »

Sorry to zombiefy an old long dead thread, but yesterday I took delivery of a Stay 1300/2 tower, (in shiny RED :) )and having just set it up to test, I am pretty impressed. I've cobbled a threaded rod on the boom adaptor socket for the iPad clamp and I basically can have my whole live rig in one piece now.

Going to test it all out at tonight's practice, if I get the chance I'll post up some pics.

My only observation, is I have to remove the rubber ends from the top tier to accommodate my modest Novation Impulse, because with then on the arms are too short. I might get a 2nd pair of long arms.
MarkOne
Frequent Poster
My Music on Apple Music
My Music on Spotify

Post by John Stafford »

I have a Black Panther stand one the way from Germany. The three-tier stand looks fairly understated.

I like that it's all metal and I feel I can trust it. I'm quite neurotic about stands since an X stand with a digital piano collapsed on me. It didn't break any bones, but I lost sensation in part of my right foot for several years.
John Stafford
Regular
Posts: 156 Joined: Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:51 am Location: Ireland