Novation Summit just arrived

For fans of synths, pianos, organs or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Re: Novation Summit just arrived

Post by bonefixer »

Arpangel wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 7:04 am If I was vaguely thinking of getting a Summit, this demo would well and truly push me over the edge, especially the first bit, it has to be one of the best demos, and one of the best sound wise, I’ve ever seen, his chordal work, truly inspiring, and not flash either.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5kNDdsPG34

These things should coming with a warning, “talent not included”. I bought a high-end John Petrucci signature guitar and still can’t play much convincing Dream Theater :lol:
bonefixer
Poster
Posts: 70 Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2022 10:08 pm Location: Isle of Man
Gear: Loads of guitars, Line 6 Helix, Yamaha THR30 amp
Bechstein 1932 5’3” Grand Piano, Yamaha CP88, Yamaha YC61, Nord Wave2, Korg Opsix, Arturia KeyLab88, MacBook Pro, Mainstage, MAudio and Presonus interfaces, Behringer XAir mixer…

Post by Arpangel »

bonefixer wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 8:52 am
Arpangel wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 7:04 am If I was vaguely thinking of getting a Summit, this demo would well and truly push me over the edge, especially the first bit, it has to be one of the best demos, and one of the best sound wise, I’ve ever seen, his chordal work, truly inspiring, and not flash either.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5kNDdsPG34

These things should coming with a warning, “talent not included”. I bought a high-end John Petrucci signature guitar and still can’t play much convincing Dream Theater :lol:

Yes, I’d say it’s probably 90%+ talent and a very small proportion of the instrument itself.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by BillB »

Sorry to dig up an old thread but the title is just right for me. As of today I traded in a Peak, System-8 and an SH-201 for a Summit at RichTone in Sheffield. I know they got the better part of the deal price wise, but the convenience of doing a straight swap for a synth I have wanted for some time, was too good to miss. I liked the sound, and even the look, of the System-8, but Roland’s convoluted hoop-jumping with the Roland Cloud, and lack of Sysex, just made it too complicated to be comfortable with.

So as a new Summit owner, can anybody tell me how they organise patches in banks on the Summit? Components can do it but is a bit clunky. I did see but haven’t checked out a Peak/Summit VST editor/librarian (Sigabort?). Any other suggestions?
BillB
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1956 Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2003 12:00 am Location: East Yorkshire

Post by The Elf »

I've not found a better way of organising patches and banks other than knuckling down and sweating it out with Components.

I may just now nip down and put in a quick-win offer for your System-8! :lol:
The Elf
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 20285 Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Post by BillB »

The Elf wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 9:00 am I've not found a better way of organising patches and banks other than knuckling down and sweating it out with Components.

I may just now nip down and put in a quick-win offer for your System-8! :lol:

Thanks Elf. The Sigabort Editor/Lib looks good, £70! Will have a play with the demo, and with Components. I know Peak/Summit has categories for browsing, but I do like to organise my favourite sounds in category groups, placed sensibly across the banks. IIRC, Components doesn’t show the categories of the left-side banks, so you can’t see what they are until you drag them into the main window. You also can’t see a full set of 128 patches in the main window.... it’s the little things that make patch organisation easy, or difficult.

The System-8 isn’t on the website yet so you may be lucky. I think they had a target sale price of £900. I thought you already had a System-8 - are you needing a spare?
BillB
Frequent Poster

Post by The Elf »

BillB wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 9:40 am
The Elf wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 9:00 amThe System-8 isn’t on the website yet so you may be lucky. I think they had a target sale price of £900. I thought you already had a System-8 - are you needing a spare?

Just acting the goat! :D I do really like my S8. It remains my favoured Jupiter-8 replacement. Anyway, back to the Summit...

What I've done is created my own banks just by copying stuff around. For me that's that's a one-off job. I don't worry much about gathering patch types - I can always find what I need from Cubase's patch selection system, for which I've made my own Patch Script. Happy to share that if it might help.
The Elf
Forum Aficionado

Post by BillB »

That’s very kind, Elf, but I’m not a Cubase user, so it would be wasted on me.

I didn’t really want to part with the System-8... but I wanted the Summit more, and 3-for-1 does slightly simplify my (more synths than talent) setup.
Also a keyboard had to go to make space... :beamup:
BillB
Frequent Poster

Post by The Elf »

BillB wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 10:55 am That’s very kind, Elf, but I’m not a Cubase user, so it would be wasted on me.

I didn’t really want to part with the System-8... but I wanted the Summit more, and 3-for-1 does slightly simplify my (more synths than talent) setup.
Also a keyboard had to go to make space... :beamup:

I feel your pain. :cry:

Well, if a list of Summit patch names alongside bank/patch numbers might be useful to you, you know where I am.
The Elf
Forum Aficionado

Post by BillB »

Aah, so you can import sysex(?) banks and spit out Cubase patch scripts or text lists? That might be useful once I have collated/curated the banks that I want.
Won’t be any time soon :headbang:

I’m more likely to use .ins files than anything else, but it’s not usually difficult to edit in a spreadsheet and/text editor to make them useable.

Thanks for the offer. :thumbup:
BillB
Frequent Poster

Post by The Elf »

BillB wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 11:54 am Aah, so you can import sysex(?) banks and spit out Cubase patch scripts or text lists?

Nothing that clever - just some creative spreadsheet use and a downloaded list of patch names (and adding my own).
The Elf
Forum Aficionado

Post by BillB »

Partly answering my own question. Just discovered two options this week for Summit patch management (and one editor).

https://squest.com/Products/MidiQuest13 ... index.html
MidiQuest version 13 supports quite a number of new instruments including Summit & Peak. I know not everyone gets on with it, but I think I’ll be upgrading. It has a new feature of importing the category types from the Sysex of certain synths (inc Summit) into its Tags system, so should make patch organisation by Category much easier.

MidiQuest 13 new device support (scroll down)
https://squest.com/Products/MidiQuest13 ... tails.html

https://github.com/christofmuc/KnobKraft-orm
This is an interesting free patch librarian software. I tried to use it to organise my SQ80 patches into banks, but struggled. It was much easier with MidiQuest bank management. However, I just noticed it has support for Summit (not Peak) so will be checking it out.
BillB
Frequent Poster