Windows 11 for musicians

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Windows 11 for musicians

Post by James Perrett »

Martin - just about every piece of software that I've tried from the last 20 years has run fine under Windows 10. According to the thread at

https://vi-control.net/community/thread ... dio.99412/

Alchemy runs under Windows 10 and you are even namechecked on that thread too!
James Perrett
Posts: 14354 Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2001 12:00 am Location: The wilds of Hampshire
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Post by sonics »

Martin Walker wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 9:48 pm ... and I also have installed on it lots of software that I probably won't ever be able to use again

You need to go through that list and determine exactly what won't run. Perhaps keep the old machine going just for those few. Win10 is a worthwhile upgrade for many reasons.
sonics
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1634 Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2003 12:00 am Location: Canada

Post by Martin Walker »

James Perrett wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:33 am Martin - just about every piece of software that I've tried from the last 20 years has run fine under Windows 10. According to the thread at

https://vi-control.net/community/thread ... dio.99412/

Alchemy runs under Windows 10 and you are even namechecked on that thread too!

Wow - never seen that thread before. Thanks James - it's also good to know that my Alchemy sound library contributions are still remembered :)

However, having read the thread, it's the Digital Rights stuff that worries me, as I also did tech support for Camel Audio, and while their cleverly-written Alchemy install process did resolve a mountain of our previous tech support issues, by checking what each user did and didn't have on their hard drive that they had officially purchased, and then automatically downloading any files required, this did rely on being able to 'phone home' to the Came Audio web site, which of course no longer exists.

I do have backups of absolutely every file and Alchemy library, but according to that thread I would probably need to download a cracked version of Alchemy that bypasses the digital rights stuff so that I could successfully install it and my libraries on a new machine, despite the fact that I legitimately owned everything.
Martin Walker
Posts: 20634 Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:44 am Location: Cornwall, UK

Post by James Perrett »

Martin Walker wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 4:57 pm I do have backups of absolutely every file and Alchemy library, but according to that thread I would probably need to download a cracked version of Alchemy that bypasses the digital rights stuff so that I could successfully install it and my libraries on a new machine, despite the fact that I legitimately owned everything.

Will the Alchemy authorisation survive a migration to a new disk (as you would need if you replaced an HDD with an SSD)? If so, then I would be tempted to take a disk image of your existing disk - or even clone the disk to another one as a safety precaution - and then try an in place upgrade to Windows 10. While Microsoft said that they would stop people doing this, as I understand it, they have never actually done that so it is still possible to upgrade a Windows 7 installation to Windows 10 for free.
James Perrett
Posts: 14354 Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2001 12:00 am Location: The wilds of Hampshire
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Post by Martin Walker »

Yes, that could well be the best approach James, especially as I already have my Alchemy install on a separate partition of a SSD, plus I've always kept my Windows partition as small as possible.
Martin Walker
Posts: 20634 Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:44 am Location: Cornwall, UK