RIP www.microphone-data.com ?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

RIP www.microphone-data.com ?

Post by Mike Senior »

Just been checking some links on my own site, and it looks like microphone-data.com is down. :( Anyone have any info on this?
Mike Senior
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1075 Joined: Fri Aug 08, 2003 12:00 am Location: Cambridge, UK
If you liked my recent SOS podcasts, then check out my latest tutorial show 'Multitrack Heroes', a six-part mixing tips series with almost 200 audio examples!

Re: RIP www.microphone-data.com ?

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

I was asked about this last week.

Rycote sold the IP and website to 'a record producer' just before the company was bought by the Vitec Group a few years ago.

I've no idea who that person is/was, but it looks like they've not renewed the domain hosting.

Keeping the database up to date is a serious undertaking. Perhaps the project was bigger than he imagined.... Or perhaps he couldn't monetise it sufficiently.

WayBack Machine has archived the library articles, but I don't think the mic database is accessible because you can't log in to it.
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 35055 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Post by James Perrett »

Wasn't there a CD version at some point? I think I have it somewhere.
James Perrett
Posts: 12637 Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2001 12:00 am Location: The wilds of Hampshire
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

Yes, there was a CDROM that came after the book, I think. The website obviously carried more up to date info, though.
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 35055 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Post by BariBoyB »

James Perrett wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 1:11 pm Wasn't there a CD version at some point? I think I have it somewhere.

do you happen to have the CD version? If so, is there any way you can email its contents to me? I’m a university student, and my professor used to use microphone-data for a really in-depth and important mic research project before it shut down.
BariBoyB

Post by James Perrett »

BariBoyB wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 3:00 am
James Perrett wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 1:11 pm Wasn't there a CD version at some point? I think I have it somewhere.

do you happen to have the CD version? If so, is there any way you can email its contents to me? I’m a university student, and my professor used to use microphone-data for a really in-depth and important mic research project before it shut down.

It isn't with most of my other music related CD-ROMs so I can't find it at the moment but I'll post if I do find it.
James Perrett
Posts: 12637 Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2001 12:00 am Location: The wilds of Hampshire
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page