Combining 2 sound waves

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Combining 2 sound waves

Post by MCH170 »

Hello, I am studying electrical engineering and don't know anything about music. My current project is to combine 2 square waves of different frequency (generated by 555 timers) into a single wave that I can then use on a speaker. Do I need to combine them using OR logic, or do I need to add them (if both waves are HIGH at a particular moment I give the speaker double the voltage)? Thanks for your help :D

Edited to display picture - JP
MCH170

Re: Combining 2 sound waves

Post by Wonks »

You add the two outputs together.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Posts: 17233 Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 12:00 am Location: Reading, UK
Reliably fallible.

Post by MCH170 »

Thanks! Have a nice day.
MCH170

Post by James Perrett »

Grab a copy of The Art Of Electronics (which is an essential text book if you are studying the subject), turn to page 234 (in the third edition - it will be different in others) and look at diagram 4.24 which shows a summing amplifier.
James Perrett
Posts: 14606 Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2001 12:00 am Location: The wilds of Hampshire
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Post by Wonks »

But you could also AND them together (especially if both the waves are of the same frequency), to get a pulse wave. Change the phase of one square wave relative to the other and you can get a varying width pulse wave, which is a standard analogue synth waveform (picture from Wikipedia).

Or you can sum the waves and still change the phase of one of them to get variations in sound. It all depends on the end result you are trying to achieve.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Reliably fallible.

Post by Wonks »

You could always split the output from the two 555s and feed into sum, OR and AND circuits and have a 3-way switch to select which output you want.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Reliably fallible.