How do I ‘print’ with VariSpeed?

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Moderator: Moderators

How do I ‘print’ with VariSpeed?

Post by Jay Menon »

I applied VariSpeed to a backing track in F and brought it to E major. Now it’s perfect for my vocal range.

But when I try to export it (to make a CD I can practice with in the car) it’s back at Fmajor again.

How do I print it with the lowered pitch please?
Jay Menon
Frequent Poster
Posts: 921 Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2007 12:00 am Location: Lancashire

Re: How do I ‘print’ with VariSpeed?

Post by BJG145 »

Is this a DAW plugin? What software are you using?

If there's some confusion over FX not being applied in an export, you could try freezing the track if there's the option.
BJG145
Longtime Poster

Post by BigRedX »

This is "varispeed" in Logic?

You should be able to bounce the track with the effect in place to produce a new audio file.
BigRedX
Frequent Poster
RockinRollin' VampireMan

Post by Jay Menon »

Sorry guys I should have specified - Logic Pro X

It doesn't seem to be a plug in - but a tool in Logic Pro to alter tempo, and if desired also the pitch.

Sounds lovely, but I just cannot bounce it or export it without the pitch returning a semitone upwards, back to F Major...
Jay Menon
Frequent Poster

Post by sdiedrichsen »

As an alternative, you can use the track transpose. This engages FlexTime, so you might need to play with the correct algorithm. Polyphonic will do in most cases. This can be bounced.
sdiedrichsen

Post by MarkOne »

sdiedrichsen wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 5:19 pm As an alternative, you can use the track transpose. This engages FlexTime, so you might need to play with the correct algorithm. Polyphonic will do in most cases. This can be bounced.

This would be what I'd do.

In the region inspector on the left hand side, look for Transpose. (You can either type in a semitone value or mouse up or down as required - Don't use the up and down arrows as those are in Octave steps.)

Then you select the track and bounce in place. The resulting wav has the transposition printed. Or just bounce out the project to an audio file
MarkOne
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2742 Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:00 am Location: Bristol, England, Earth, Perseus Gap, Milky Way
My Music on Apple Music
My Music on Spotify

Post by BigRedX »

Jay Menon wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 5:06 pm Sorry guys I should have specified - Logic Pro X

It doesn't seem to be a plug in - but a tool in Logic Pro to alter tempo, and if desired also the pitch.

Sounds lovely, but I just cannot bounce it or export it without the pitch returning a semitone upwards, back to F Major...

I don't think my version of Logic is new enough to include this, so how does it work? On an individual region or on the whole arrangement? Is it linked to the tempo so it works like vari-speed on a tape recorder. If that's the case you should be able to use something like Audio Hi-jack to capture the var-speeded output.
BigRedX
Frequent Poster
RockinRollin' VampireMan

Post by Jay Menon »

MarkOne wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 9:42 am
sdiedrichsen wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 5:19 pm As an alternative, you can use the track transpose. This engages FlexTime, so you might need to play with the correct algorithm. Polyphonic will do in most cases. This can be bounced.

This would be what I'd do.

In the region inspector on the left hand side, look for Transpose. (You can either type in a semitone value or mouse up or down as required - Don't use the up and down arrows as those are in Octave steps.)

Then you select the track and bounce in place. The resulting wav has the transposition printed. Or just bounce out the project to an audio file

Worked an absolute treat! Thank you both :-)
Jay Menon
Frequent Poster