Beware the wall rat

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

Moderator: Moderators

Beware the wall rat

Post by ef37a »

Or in this case the line lump. For many years I have butchered the LT leads on these things when I needed certain volts/amps but the plug was the wrong size or indeed wanted to splice it directly into a circuit.

I always found that the cable was screened, I assumed to contain much of the residual 'hash' that such supplies put out. Today I stripped one back to find a single red and single black wire. No screen.

The supply was a R.S brand (NOT to be confused with RS Components) and rated at 22V 1A. So, if any of you find an odd noise in your systems, especially one that has come about after purchasing a bit of rat powered kit, an unscreened power lead could be the cause?

Dave. (that's R dot S)
ef37a
Jedi Poster
Posts: 16448 Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 12:00 am Location: northampton uk

Re: Beware the wall rat

Post by resistorman »

In my repurposing and chopping of rats, lumps and warts I’ve rarely seen one that WAS screened.
resistorman
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 2679 Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:00 am Location: Asheville NC
"The Best" piece of gear is subjective.

Post by ef37a »

resistorman wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 8:47 pm In my repurposing and chopping of rats, lumps and warts I’ve rarely seen one that WAS screened.

I don't mean the cheaper 5V things you get for powering phones and small devices like S/PDIF switches. I mean 12V at an amp and up.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Post by resistorman »

ef37a wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 8:26 am
resistorman wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 8:47 pm In my repurposing and chopping of rats, lumps and warts I’ve rarely seen one that WAS screened.

I don't mean the cheaper 5V things you get for powering phones and small devices like S/PDIF switches. I mean 12V at an amp and up.

Dave.

Me too :D And since almost none of them are actually grounded, I don’t know what a shield would do? :think:
resistorman
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 2679 Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:00 am Location: Asheville NC
"The Best" piece of gear is subjective.

Post by ef37a »

resistorman wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 3:03 pm
ef37a wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 8:26 am

Dave.

Me too :D And since almost none of them are actually grounded, I don’t know what a shield would do? :think:

Thought of that too, they would find earth at their destination much of the time e.g. an AI via either USB or audio connections.

Of course, gear is increasingly becoming earth free...

Dave
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

The screening suggestion doesn't hold much water for the reasons above. I suspect they use coax cable just because it's easier to terminate with a coaxial DC plug.
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 38835 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Post by ef37a »

Hugh Robjohns wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 9:42 pm The screening suggestion doesn't hold much water for the reasons above. I suspect they use coax cable just because it's easier to terminate with a coaxial DC plug.

This two wire PSU HAD a co ax plug! Jeez! I can do without all this negativity...Jus' sayin!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Post by Folderol »

ef37a wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 9:46 pm
Hugh Robjohns wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 9:42 pm The screening suggestion doesn't hold much water for the reasons above. I suspect they use coax cable just because it's easier to terminate with a coaxial DC plug.

This two wire PSU HAD a co ax plug! Jeez! I can do without all this negativity...Jus' sayin!

Dave.

Exactly. I remember those coax DC leads - much easier to secure with a simple gland. Oh, and (of course) the figure of eight cables STILL feed a coax plug.

And another thing. I'm pretty sure that in their original transformer and fat caps form, in the UK at least, they were not floating, but earthed.
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Posts: 18061 Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:00 am Location: The Mudway Towns, UK
Yes. I am that Linux nut {apparently now an 'elderly'}
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Post by ef37a »

Folderol wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 10:13 pm
ef37a wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 9:46 pm

Dave.

Exactly. I remember those coax DC leads - much easier to secure with a simple gland. Oh, and (of course) the figure of eight cables STILL feed a coax plug.

And another thing. I'm pretty sure that in their original transformer and fat caps form, in the UK at least, they were not floating, but earthed.

THANK you Will! I don't even mean the fig 8 jobs. The one I stripped had a round, quite stiff cable...THAT is why I was surprised at the lack of a screen.
(I know I am getting on but I'm not quite THAT daft...yet.)

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster