Genuine feedback, on my upcoming single mix + master...

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Moderator: Moderators

Genuine feedback, on my upcoming single mix + master...

Post by Spells »

I used to send songs off to be mixed and then mastered and the process filled me with dread - in part due to the logistics and back / forth getting the sound I wanted. Anyway, I've posted before on this topic and have an older account I can't seem to login to. In any case, I have been trying to mix / master my own stuff more and more and invested in nice converters and a couple of hardware pieces to give the material an 'analogue kiss' at the very last stage. I have bought and sold pieces of hardware in the hunt for my sound.

Genuine feedback appreciated as I take everything on board for the next release. This single isn't out until Friday but I have the video up to preview. Please let me know your thoughts.

:star: LINK: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fu_Wt-z7s4E
Spells
Poster

Re: Genuine feedback, on my upcoming single mix + master...

Post by The Elf »

Sounds fine for what it is. Really wish it didn't have autotune on the vocal though.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
Posts: 18717 Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Post by RichardT »

I think it's really good and the track and video work together very well. My only observation is that the vocals are getting a little lost and I think they could benefit from being just a little higher in the mix. Not much, just a bit.
RichardT
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 2483 Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2004 12:00 am Location: London UK

Post by Spells »

RichardT wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 8:19 pm I think it's really good and the track and video work together very well. My only observation is that the vocals are getting a little lost and I think they could benefit from being just a little higher in the mix. Not much, just a bit.

Do you know, I think you're right :( I sense that also. It's subtle but just a little smidge up would have helped the vocals a bit. I will take on board for the next one as this is submitted now :(
Spells
Poster

Post by Spells »

The Elf wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 8:18 pm Sounds fine for what it is. Really wish it didn't have autotune on the vocal though.

Noted! I write, produce, record, arrange, mix and master my own stuff and perhaps 'jack of all trades, master of (some :lol: )' is appropriate here.

Thanks for checking it out.
Spells
Poster

Post by Aaron Straley »

This mix sounds great to me. The autotune blends well to my ears. Levels are well balanced. Kept waiting for a change up in the song, which in my mind would be some distinct rapping, a key or beat change.
Aaron Straley
Regular
Posts: 59 Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2022 12:25 pm Location: Pennsylvania, USA

Post by sonics »

Overall, very well done indeed. My notes:

- Looking for a little more variation in the arrangement; more space in places, more ebb and flow. It's quite dense and there are some parts I'd like to hear featured more clearly, like some of the vocal FX.
- A little dark for my taste. More vocal clarity, a little more tops. The bottom end gives us the weight, but the tops give us the movement.
- Stereo width. I'd use more "sparkle" in the sides.
- Transients seem a little lost. The tack could "punch" a bit more, hit a bit harder for me.

(Don't you hate having to use words to express music?)
sonics
Frequent Poster
Posts: 501 Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2003 12:00 am Location: Canada

Post by Spells »

Wow, thank you all genuinely for the feedback. I'm not lying when I say I take it all on board.

Yes some vocals could be more 'present' I feel in hindsight. Maybe a change up would have been good. I think I've been focussing so much on the technical side of things, it was hard to go back to the creative song writing side when I was so far down the line. This is the thing about being a one man band but I hope to get better at juggling that!

Can I ask, to the last review. More punch on the tack, excuse my naivety, what do you mean by tack, did you mean kick?

I did pass as a final stage, the mix through prism converters, into a Symph EQ and then a TK Audio BC1 which def took some of the punch away but the trade was a little glue.

All noted for my next one!
Spells
Poster

Post by sonics »

Spells wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 10:00 pm Can I ask, to the last review. More punch on the tack, excuse my naivety, what do you mean by tack, did you mean kick?

Just a typo, sorry. I meant to type "track". I think a transient shaper would tighten it up nicely. Again, well done!
sonics
Frequent Poster
Posts: 501 Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2003 12:00 am Location: Canada

Post by Spells »

sonics wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 11:37 pm
Spells wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 10:00 pm Can I ask, to the last review. More punch on the tack, excuse my naivety, what do you mean by tack, did you mean kick?

Just a typo, sorry. I meant to type "track". I think a transient shaper would tighten it up nicely. Again, well done!

Ok, got it! Many thanks :angel:
Spells
Poster

Post by Exalted Wombat »

I agree with the rest! Nice, but I couldn't hear the vocals.
Exalted Wombat
Jedi Poster
Posts: 5754 Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:00 am Location: London UK
You don't have to write songs. The world doesn't want you to write songs. It would probably prefer it if you didn't. So write songs if you want to. Otherwise, dont bore us with beefing about it. Go fishing instead.

Post by OneWorld »

"Staring Down the Barrel of the Forum" (oops - Shotgun)

I remember being at school when the teacher barked at me "Speak up boy" when I was asked a question but mumbled the answer, when in fact what I was doing is trying to hide what I was saying, in the futile hope my mumbling would would suffice as an answer LOL

In common with other comments, it sounds great, but the only words I can make out are "Staring Down the Barrel of a Shotgun" mix the rest of the vocals up a tad and you've got a tune that's oven ready
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)