APFS drive repair prog?

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Moderator: Moderators

APFS drive repair prog?

Post by ManFromGlass »

Disk Warrior used to save my butt with rare file corruptions but it doesn’t work on APFS drives. I took my old machine up to High Sierra months ago, which formatted the boot drive in APFS, and yesterday it refused to boot. I traced it to a corruption on the boot SSD.
I have a clone of the boot drive but I thought I would try Disk Drill on the problem drive.
It’s been 20 hours and Disk Drill is saying it will take another 30 hours to do whatever it is doing. Anyone have any other APFS friendly repair programs that would suggest? With the clone I’ll lose a few installs but no big deal, just a time suck.
ManFromGlass
Longtime Poster
Posts: 6672 Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:00 am Location: O Canada

Re: APFS drive repair prog?

Post by ManFromGlass »

Update -
I’m on High Sierra and for the first time ever Apple’s built in Disk Repair repaired the boot disk enough that it is working again. I think I dodged the bullet, but that’s problem with this stuff. Is the disk all fixed or is it a ticking time bomb waiting to go off in the middle of a project that has a really tight deadline?
With multiple clones and backups I feel not so paranoid.
Maybe . . .
:smirk:

Oh and to answer my own question - the closest I came to finding an APFS repair program was Disk Drill but they are very vague about what the program can repair so I didn’t use it.
ManFromGlass
Longtime Poster
Posts: 6672 Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:00 am Location: O Canada

Re: APFS drive repair prog?

Post by adamburgess »

Disk Drill managed to recover a lot of stuff from a friend's clicking HD. Yes, it took days and days…… and days…
adamburgess
Regular