Can someone please help with some DX Sys-Ex?

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Moderator: Moderators

Can someone please help with some DX Sys-Ex?

Post by The Elf »

I have two banks (of 32 patches each) of DX/TX 6-op sounds in Sys-Ex format (.syx), but no matter what I do I can't import them into Dexed or my K2700, both of which should speak DX. Dexed dissplays corrupted patch titles, and my K2700 just refuses to load them, saying they are not in the correct format.

I *think* (memory fails me) that these banks came from my old TX-802. Can anyone please offer to try to get these banks into a 6-op FM synth for me, see if they can be read, and maybe create new Sys-Ex files for me?
The Elf
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 20015 Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Re: Can someone please help with some DX Sys-Ex?

Post by Eddy Deegan »

Later tonight I can try them on a MODX and an SY77 if you mail them to me mate (I think you should have my address, PM me with a link to them if not).
Eddy Deegan
Posts: 8806 Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 12:00 am Location: Brighton & Hove, UK
Some of my works | The SOS Forum Album projects  

Post by The Elf »

Thanks, mate. I'll drop you a PM.
The Elf
Forum Aficionado

Post by sonics »

Is software any good? I could see if FM8 reads them. I also may be able to find my old copy of MIDI Quest.
sonics
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1632 Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2003 12:00 am Location: Canada

Post by The Elf »

sonics wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 7:10 pm Is software any good? I could see if FM8 reads them. I also may be able to find my old copy of MIDI Quest.

Thanks. As long as I can get the sys-ex into a form I can use I don't mind what reads it! :lol:

My best guess is that my TX has created a difference to the older DX7 Sys-Ex. I need to get it into a vanilla DX7 format.

I'll drop you a PM also.
The Elf
Forum Aficionado

Post by N i g e l »

Eddy Deegan wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 6:34 pm Later tonight I can try them on a MODX....

I think you need to do a conversion first for that on YAMAHAs web converter

"The Yamaha FM Converter allows you to use contents from the DX7, DX7II, TX802 and TX216/816 on your new Montage/Modx"

if the convertor works its probably an indication that the files have some semblance of sanity.
N i g e l
Frequent Poster
Posts: 3685 Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:40 pm Location: British Isles

Post by The Elf »

Thanks for that suggestion. However:
(File) does not contain any convertable data

I don't get this. These files definitely once worked!
The Elf
Forum Aficionado

Post by The Elf »

In the meantime I've been looking at these files. They look very odd - clearly not standard DX sys-ex. Somehow I've managed to get these corrupted with something else.

So now I'm wondering if I can somehow get these out of FM8, where at some point I've successfully imported them, but FM8 has no export feature.
The Elf
Forum Aficionado

Post by The Elf »

I'm now convinced that the .syx files I have are not DX native format. There's some spurious data in there that has nothing to do with DX. Clearly I've managed to save the wrong files at some point in the past few decades.

So I do have these two banks in FM7 and FM8 format, but seemingly no way to get them back out into the real world!
The Elf
Forum Aficionado

Post by Eddy Deegan »

No luck here either I'm afraid :-(
Eddy Deegan

Post by The Elf »

Yep, I'm pretty much resigned to having lost them at this point. A couple of the patches (which I was hoping to use) didn't convert cleanly, so I was hoping to go back to the hardware sys-ex and try Dexed, but alas not. :cry:

It's not so long ago I still had my TX-802, but I sold it along with the cartridges of my banks.

I do appreciate you trying for me.
The Elf
Forum Aficionado

Post by N i g e l »

If you can see the data in a synth context you could "knife and fork" it with a manual transfer, but DX FMs arent strictly parameter compatible, eg the FM modulation intensities, so some tweaking might be required.

Patch transfer in the days of DX7.................

(do you have an apprentice that needs to do some detention ??)

N i g e l
Frequent Poster
Posts: 3685 Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:40 pm Location: British Isles

Post by sonics »

The files look like MIDI files to me. I've converted them for you. PM contains the links for you to try.
sonics
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1632 Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2003 12:00 am Location: Canada

Post by The Elf »

Wow! Sonics has waved a magic wand over these files! :clap:

Now I have the sounds both in Dexed (which, as suspected, has done a better conversion job than FM8), and my K2700.

There is much rejoicing in the Toadstool.

Thanks to all of you who offered help and suggestions. It is much appreciated. :thumbup:

Now to back these up in a dozen places...
The Elf
Forum Aficionado

Post by Eddy Deegan »

Hurrah! :clap:
Eddy Deegan

Post by Martin Walker »

The Elf wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 10:26 am Now I have the sounds both in Dexed (which, as suspected, has done a better conversion job than FM8), and my K2700.

That's an interesting observation Monsieur Elf - I have both FM8 and Dexed, so I should obviously spend some more time with Dexed.
Martin Walker
Posts: 20623 Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:44 am Location: Cornwall, UK

Post by muzines »

Glad you got this sorted - I didn't see it until after a solution was found, otherwise I'd have helped out.

And if you're into vintage DX7 stuff, Plogue currently have OPS7 for half price for BF - £26 and you can have arguably the best, bit-accurate DX7 software emulation, emulated to a crazy degree.

https://www.plogue.com/store.html

As I'm a sucker for having good emulations of classic synths, I picked it up as I'd been eyeing it for a while.

(I doubt I'm going to convert all 120,000+ Dexed Logic presets for it... not right now anyway, it took a few months to churn through the Dexed cartridge as it was...)
muzines
Jedi Poster
..............................mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio  | Legacy Logic Project Conversion

Post by The Elf »

Martin Walker wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 5:35 pm
The Elf wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 10:26 am Now I have the sounds both in Dexed (which, as suspected, has done a better conversion job than FM8), and my K2700.

That's an interesting observation Monsieur Elf - I have both FM8 and Dexed, so I should obviously spend some more time with Dexed.

One example: There's a delayed vibrato on one patch - important, since it keeps the start of each note in tune. In FM8 the vibrato is there all the time, making it sound horribly out of tune. Dexed translates it perfectly.
The Elf
Forum Aficionado

Post by The Elf »

muzines wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 6:02 pm Glad you got this sorted - I didn't see it until after a solution was found, otherwise I'd have helped out.

And if you're into vintage DX7 stuff, Plogue currently have OPS7 for half price for BF - £26 and you can have arguably the best, bit-accurate DX7 software emulation, emulated to a crazy degree.

https://www.plogue.com/store.html

As I'm a sucker for having good emulations of classic synths, I picked it up as I'd been eyeing it for a while.

(I doubt I'm going to convert all 120,000+ Dexed Logic presets for it... not right now anyway, it took a few months to churn through the Dexed cartridge as it was...)

Tempting.

My world of FM sounds is really all about these two banks, collated (and some created) by myself way back in the 80s. I think Dexed is probably good enough.

One of the patches appeared on a very famous movie-related record of the 80s... :D;)
The Elf
Forum Aficionado

Post by Arpangel »

sonics wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 7:10 pm Is software any good? I could see if FM8 reads them. I also may be able to find my old copy of MIDI Quest.

FM8 does read them, I loaded in all my DX7 sounds, seems to work fine.
I had them on Alesis Data Disc originally, they are useful things to have around, if only as Sysex playback devices.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster