For evaluation

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Moderator: Moderators

For evaluation

Post by Men Pamansky »

Hi all!
I wanted to share my music with you and hear your comments about the melody, arrangement, mixing.
I will be glad to all comments.
Thank you all in advance!

https://soundcloud.com/m-pamansky/1a-1
Men Pamansky
Poster

Re: For evaluation

Post by Drew Stephenson »

Just listening now.
Not my genre so take this with a pinch of salt.
For me the piano needs to come up to be on a level with the strings. There's space in the arrangement without it cramping anything else.
Drew Stephenson
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 24655 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
(The forumuser formerly known as Blinddrew)
Ignore the rumours that I might have an idea what I'm doing...
https://drewstephenson.bandcamp.com/

Post by Exalted Wombat »

Yes, the piano could be louder. (Or the strings softer.)

What's it for?
Exalted Wombat
Longtime Poster
Posts: 5814 Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:00 am Location: London UK
You don't have to write songs. The world doesn't want you to write songs. It would probably prefer it if you didn't. So write songs if you want to. Otherwise, dont bore us with beefing about it. Go fishing instead.

Post by Men Pamansky »

Exalted Wombat wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 11:20 pm Yes, the piano could be louder. (Or the strings softer.)

What's it for?

You are absolutely right))) The piano is much better when played louder. I've already fixed everything. I'll upload a new version later
Thanks for the advice!
Men Pamansky
Poster

Post by Men Pamansky »

Men Pamansky wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 7:52 am
Exalted Wombat wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 11:20 pm Yes, the piano could be louder. (Or the strings softer.)

What's it for?

You are absolutely right))) The piano is much better when played louder. I've already fixed everything. I'll upload a new version later
Thanks for the advice!

I write for myself)) Music is not ordered)
Thank you for your advice too!
Men Pamansky
Poster

Post by Men Pamansky »

blinddrew wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 5:39 pm Just listening now.
Not my genre so take this with a pinch of salt.
For me the piano needs to come up to be on a level with the strings. There's space in the arrangement without it cramping anything else.

there is already a corrected version, with a louder piano
https://soundcloud.com/m-pamansky/fligh ... al_sharing
Men Pamansky
Poster

Post by Drew Stephenson »

For my money it could come up a bit more still, but that's just my preference.
Alternatively, just a smidgeon more high frequency would give it a bit more presence - it feels like it's sitting behind the string quartet at the moment, but it's occupying the centre of the image so my brain is having a bit of cognitive dissonance about how the 'players' would be arranged if this was a performance.
Drew Stephenson
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 24655 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
(The forumuser formerly known as Blinddrew)
Ignore the rumours that I might have an idea what I'm doing...
https://drewstephenson.bandcamp.com/

Post by Arpangel »

My god, I’m listening on my iPad, and that piano still seems way back in the mix, the strings are too strident, and need taming down, the nature of the music isn’t being addressed, don’t brighten the piano, tone down the strings, the whole thing is too urgent, it needs relaxing.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by Men Pamansky »

blinddrew wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 8:37 pm For my money it could come up a bit more still, but that's just my preference.
Alternatively, just a smidgeon more high frequency would give it a bit more presence - it feels like it's sitting behind the string quartet at the moment, but it's occupying the centre of the image so my brain is having a bit of cognitive dissonance about how the 'players' would be arranged if this was a performance.

Yes thank you! I'll try!
Men Pamansky
Poster

Post by Men Pamansky »

Arpangel wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 9:11 pm My god, I’m listening on my iPad, and that piano still seems way back in the mix, the strings are too strident, and need taming down, the nature of the music isn’t being addressed, don’t brighten the piano, tone down the strings, the whole thing is too urgent, it needs relaxing.

Strings you mean probably reduce the velocity, and not the volume itself?
Men Pamansky
Poster

Post by Arpangel »

Men Pamansky wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 1:58 pm
Arpangel wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 9:11 pm My god, I’m listening on my iPad, and that piano still seems way back in the mix, the strings are too strident, and need taming down, the nature of the music isn’t being addressed, don’t brighten the piano, tone down the strings, the whole thing is too urgent, it needs relaxing.

Maybe, I know it’s sacrilege, but I sometimes refuse the speed of tracks, by a very small amount, it can sometimes calm things down.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by Men Pamansky »

Arpangel wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:19 am

Maybe, I know it’s sacrilege, but I sometimes refuse the speed of tracks, by a very small amount, it can sometimes calm things down.

Thank You!
Men Pamansky
Poster

Post by Arpangel »

Men Pamansky wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 5:29 pm
Arpangel wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:19 am

Thank You!

Refuse? Reduce!

:)
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by OneWorld »

I like the sound you get, the strings and piano sound realistic as can be. What do you use for the strings, a sample library I guess?

I think in the closings bars the volume is a bit too quiet, but hey, what would I know, maybe that's exactly how you want it.

Have you ever seen the film Capernaum? by the Lebanese director Nadine Lebaki, the soundtrack at the end has the same sort of feel to your example here. And apart from the music, the film really is a film worth watching.
OneWorld
Frequent Poster