Fishman Loudbox Mini - Lighter alternative?

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Moderator: Moderators

Fishman Loudbox Mini - Lighter alternative?

Post by forumuser641699 »

Does anyone know of an acoustic guitar amp like the Fishman Loudbox mini that is lighter? The Loudbox is 9.5kg. Carrying my guitar, amp, cables from the car to gigs is too much. Is there something similar but in a much lighter cabinet?
forumuser641699
Regular

Re: Fishman Loudbox Mini - Lighter alternative?

Post by Wonks »

How loud and how good a quality do you need? And do you need a mic and a guitar input channel like the loudbox?

My Loudbox Mini (original version without bluetooth) weighs 9.1kg on my scales. Official weights may include packaging.

For it’s size it’s definitely loud and has a good quality sound.

I think you may need something substantially lighter to get any benefit in long-distance carrying. So an 8kg amp may still prove as awkward to carry and not sound as good or have as much volume.

Have you considered trying to fit it in a backpack and carry it on your back rather than in your hand?

The AER Alpha 40 is a similar configuration and 6.5kg, but is almost £800. I think my Loudbox Mini was £199 new (but that may have been a run-out model offer). So what’s your budget? And do you need anything special like the Loudbox’s 10 Meg input impedance for direct plugging a non-preamped piezo into?
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Posts: 17020 Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 12:00 am Location: Reading, UK
Reliably fallible.

Post by adrian_k »

I can recommend the Phil Jones AG-100 Cub - about half the weight of your Fishman, and plenty loud.

I have gigged using this as a direct acoustic amp, or with a modelling front end, and even as a small PA with a mic and two guitars through a mixer for a cafe gig. Also used it as foldback for bigger gigs.

Not sure if you can still buy one new but they do come up second hand from time. Description here:

https://philjonesbass.net/cms/index.php/product_ag-100/
adrian_k
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2644 Joined: Thu Jan 30, 2003 12:00 am Location: Gloucestershire
Above all, be kind.

Thanks guys, that's a good idea about the back pack, worth trying.
I love the loudbox mini, it's perfect in terms of sound and bass. I've a rare earth blend on a handmade guitar so quality is important, it's a bassy guitar and the loubbox mini delivers.
In terms of volume, I use it as a monitor so I take a line out to the PA, so maybe 60 watts is not required but I always tend to think driving a smaller amp power might reduce quality.
For these type of gigs I don't need the extra mic channel as I've the PA, also not bothered about FX.
One thing that is important is with the loudbox mini I can use the gain and volume to turn my amp up and down without affecting what is going to the PA levels.
Budget 200-500 I guess.
forumuser641699
Regular

Post by Wonks »

FYI that Phil Jones amp is the lightest yet mentioned at 5.2kg, but has a single jack input. No onboard reverb like the Loudbox, but it does have an effects loop so you could add it with a pedal (and a bit more weight to carry).

https://www.musicradar.com/reviews/guit ... -100-26391
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Reliably fallible.

Post by Wonks »

Even lighter at 2kg is the Yamaha TRR5A.

https://www.yamahamusiclondon.com/THR5A ... idGTHR5AUK

With a nominal 10W through those 2 x 3" speakers I'm sure it wouldn't sound as loud or as bassy as the Loudbox, but the sound to the PA should be great. It would then depend on whether it was loud enough as a monitor amp for you.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Reliably fallible.

Post by Wonks »

Or the slightly bigger THR10-II which has an acoustic guitar setting. https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/yamaha-thr10-ii
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Reliably fallible.

Post by Albatross »

I have a homemade busking amp permanently attached to something like this... just a thought https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/284777679872 ... SwpcxiYMqa
Albatross
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2413 Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:00 am Location: Airstrip 1, Eurasia

Thanks for the suggestions guys, lots for me to research. The Phil Jones amp looks like it could be interesting.
forumuser641699
Regular

Post by adrian_k »

The only thing about the Phil Jones that is a bit annoying is the position and colour of the input and controls, hard to see and hopeless on a dark stage…..
adrian_k
Frequent Poster
Above all, be kind.

adrian_k wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 3:19 pm The only thing about the Phil Jones that is a bit annoying is the position and colour of the input and controls, hard to see and hopeless on a dark stage…..

forumuser641699
Regular

forumuser641699 wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 3:50 pm
adrian_k wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 3:19 pm The only thing about the Phil Jones that is a bit annoying is the position and colour of the input and controls, hard to see and hopeless on a dark stage…..

Yes, controls are on the back, not great. Also I know it has two speakers but they are smaller so I guess less bass than the Fishman?
forumuser641699
Regular

Post by resistorman »

Albatross wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:32 pm I have a homemade busking amp permanently attached to something like this... just a thought https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/284777679872 ... SwpcxiYMqa

Wheels are a good invention.
resistorman
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2691 Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:00 am Location: Asheville NC
"The Best" piece of gear is subjective.

Post by adrian_k »

I guess less bass than the Fishman?

Never been able to put them side by side, but I think the Phil Jones bass cub has small speakers too so not sure it’s a limitation. I’ve never noticed lack of bass.

Where are you? You can try mine if you are anywhere near.
adrian_k
Frequent Poster
Above all, be kind.

Post by Wonks »

I've happily used my Loudbox Mini as an impromptu bass amp without any problems.

But I would question if you actually need a lot of bass from an acoustic guitar amp just used as a monitor, as long as the sound to the PA wasn't lacking in it. Too much low end and you'll definitely have feedback issues.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Reliably fallible.

Post by Sam Spoons »

The Roland AC33 is substantially lighter at 4.7kg but may not be loud enough. The Bose S1 Pro is 6.8kg and AER Compact 60 is 7.1kg, I found the Compact 60 sounded significantly better than the Alpha when I was buying mine but that was about 15-20 years ago. The Bose is good but the bass is a bit hyped and it is not great for bass at amplified levels (though it works for EUB accompanying acoustic instruments), otherwise there's a lot to like with the S1 Pro. Neither are cheap though with the Bose costing over £500 and the AER C60 currently topping £1k.

FWIW I own or have owned all of the above.

My bass player's PJ Briefcase goes really loud and certainly doesn't lack bass from two 5" speakers, sounds excellent too. They don't seem to make it or their acoustic combo anymore though and PJ kit is not cheap either.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Posts: 19681 Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2003 12:00 am Location: Manchester UK
People often mistake me for a grown-up because of my age.