Monitor Controller Question

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Moderator: Moderators

Monitor Controller Question

Post by Briz »

In my basic setup, I have the Clarett+ 8pre as my audio interface. I use Pro Tools Studio as my DAW. With the recent incorporation of 3 outboard gear units, I'm running out of of inputs and outputs.

In the past, I've mixed with one set of monitors and ITB. So here's my situation: I want to add Avantone Pro Active MixCubes to my setup. Eventually, I'll add more ins and outs via ADAT, but until then I need to keep 4 inputs open.

I've never used a monitor controller before, outside of a Mackie Big Knob years ago. I'd like to A/B between the Focals and MixCubes.
I've been researching active controllers and two keep popping up: Audient Nero and Drawmer MC2.1. My budget is around $700 USD or less. What do you recommend in this price range? Thanks in advance for your advice and recommendations.
Briz
Regular
Inspecting &Adapting Daily @ Life

Re: Monitor Controller Question

Post by Aaron Straley »

Here is what I use to switch between monitors. Works perfectly for that

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... e-selector
Aaron Straley
Regular
Posts: 98 Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2022 12:25 pm Location: Pennsylvania, USA

Post by sonics »

I've used the PreSonus Central Station Plus in a couple of studios. It seemed to work well enough. I've heard rumours of quality or longevity issues, though I've not seen that personally.
sonics
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1580 Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2003 12:00 am Location: Canada

Post by Luke W »

I don't think you can go far wrong with any of the Drawmer units. No experience of using them myself, but if I remember correctly there are certainly a few people on here that are very happy with them. I understand that they perform very well given their price point as well.

In case you'd not spotted it, here's a review of the MC2.1
Luke W
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1526 Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:00 am Location: Northamptonshire, UK

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

Briz wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 9:38 pmMy budget is around $700 USD or less. What do you recommend in this price range?

Other than switching between two sets of stereo monitors (which could be achieved with a much less expensive switch box), what monitor controller facilities do you require?

There are a couple of Drawmer and SPL options within budget, as well as the Presonus and some Coleman switchers.

But they have quite significantly different feature sets, so you need to think about what you need/want to avoid paying for things you'll never use.
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 38831 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Post by Briz »

Hugh Robjohns wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:23 pm
Briz wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 9:38 pmMy budget is around $700 USD or less. What do you recommend in this price range?

Other than switching between two sets of stereo monitors (which could be achieved with a much less expensive switch box), what monitor controller facilities do you require?

There are a couple of Drawmer and SPL options within budget, as well as the Presonus and some Coleman switchers.

But they have quite significantly different feature sets, so you need to think about what you need/want to avoid paying for things you'll never use.

Mainly, I'd like to A/B, listen in mono, and preserve the sound of the monitors without altering or coloring the output. Nice-to-haves would be talk back and dimming. If there's a controller out there for less, believe me, I'd gladly prefer to spend less. I will not be using a sub, and I won't need immersive audio capabilities. Thanks.
Briz
Regular

Post by Bob Bickerton »

As has been said, it’s really down to the facilities you require. Having said that, I’ve been well pleased with the Drawmer CMC2 which is around 50% of your budget. https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... controller

Bob
Bob Bickerton
Jedi Poster
Posts: 5085 Joined: Fri Dec 20, 2002 12:00 am Location: Nelson, New Zealand

Post by Briz »

Bob Bickerton wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 2:03 am As has been said, it’s really down to the facilities you require. Having said that, I’ve been well pleased with the Drawmer CMC2 which is around 50% of your budget. https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... controller

Bob

Thank you. I appreciate the recommendation. I'll definitely check it out. Alternatively, have you (or anyone else here) used outputs 3 & 4 (or any combination) on your audio interface and simply changed the output routing on the master in your DAW? I'm just thinking here, but maybe it might be easier to add 8 more inputs via ADAT and use the 8 ins and outs on my audio interface for outboard gear and monitors and the 8 additional inputs for tracking. I don't know if that might be an option, or how I'd sum to mono.
Briz
Regular

Post by sonics »

Briz wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 3:27 am Alternatively, have you (or anyone else here) used outputs 3 & 4 (or any combination) on your audio interface and simply changed the output routing on the master in your DAW?

I use an RME interface, which has very configurable software, so yes. I don't have any need for talkback ATM, but could incorporate it if I did, I'm sure. It works very well, is easy to control and means no additional audio processing, which I'm very happy about. The software takes care of the Chinese food (dim, sum etc. - sorry!) :lol:
sonics
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1580 Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2003 12:00 am Location: Canada

Post by Moroccomoose »

This is exactly what I do. I have mains on 1&2, a quirk in my interface makes having headphones on 3&4 convenient (it has 2 headphone outs, but the first headphone is on channels 1&2 so the volume is tied to monitor volume, putting them on 3&4 means I have independent physical volume controls) and I have an out to my hifi on 5&6. I use Cubase control room to switch between the three. In reaper, I set up a similar function using sends that can be turned on and off. And I have ADAT expansion but for other stuff, not my monitoring.
I also use the interface control panel to select the outputs if not using a DAW.

Stu.
Moroccomoose
Regular
Posts: 466 Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:00 am Location: Leicester

Post by ef37a »

Hi Briz, I strongly suggest you avoid passive controllers. I cannot speak for any others but I have checked the circuits in the Mackie BK Passive and it is a strange design that could cause distortion and definitely unbalances sources.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster
Posts: 16447 Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 12:00 am Location: northampton uk

Post by MarkOne »

sonics wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:02 pm I've used the PreSonus Central Station Plus in a couple of studios. It seemed to work well enough. I've heard rumours of quality or longevity issues, though I've not seen that personally.

I have had it's baby brother the Monitor Station V2 for several years now and it seems to work very well, no quality issues, very well built and loads of switching flexibility (2 stereo sources, an Aux switchable from Line to SPDIF, three speaker outputs, four headphone outs...) Sound quality is pretty good, it seems low noise and transparent.
MarkOne
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 2713 Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:00 am Location: Bristol, England, Earth, Perseus Gap, Milky Way
My Music on Apple Music
My Music on Spotify