Is every synth a compromise?

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Is every synth a compromise?

Post by resistorman »

Folderol wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:00 am and not even a keyboard, or other interface that feels natural.

I have to say that the LinnStrument has really changed my life, I feel like I'm touching the sound for the first time. I did unspeakable things to my guitars and basses to try and get an actual playable MIDI instrument for decades to no avail :crazy:
resistorman
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2691 Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:00 am Location: Asheville NC
"The Best" piece of gear is subjective.

Post by Tomás Mulcahy »

Arpangel wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 12:04 pm But those things are preferences, not compromises, surely?

No. But leaving them out could be considered a compromise. Or looking at it another way, it's the designer's preference as to what modulation is included. Categories of things eh? Endless source of discussion. Or arguments :D
Tomás Mulcahy
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2561 Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2001 12:00 am Location: Cork, Ireland.

Post by bonefixer »

Tomás Mulcahy wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:57 am Yea it seems like bonefixer needs a Polybrute.

Almost bought one, but decided the 6 note polyphony would be too limiting for what I want right now. I may get one at some point.
bonefixer
Poster
Posts: 70 Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2022 10:08 pm Location: Isle of Man
Gear: Loads of guitars, Line 6 Helix, Yamaha THR30 amp
Bechstein 1932 5’3” Grand Piano, Yamaha CP88, Yamaha YC61, Nord Wave2, Korg Opsix, Arturia KeyLab88, MacBook Pro, Mainstage, MAudio and Presonus interfaces, Behringer XAir mixer…

Post by bonefixer »

MarkOne wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:15 am It seems an odd question.

Compromise on what? All metal construction? Hardwood End-cheeks? Smooth Alps pots? Discrete solder-through PCBs? Or plastic, surface mount mass produced? But essentially the same circuit?

Or design compromises? No self oscillating filter? (Or no filter at all on early FM synths?) Not enough oscillators? Not enough LFOs? Limited sample memory? Too small a display? Features hidden under pages of menus?

You could argue that unless it is capable of every synthesis and sampling technique known to man from subtractive through FM, Granular to Physical Modelling, includes every filter type known to man has Poly AT, MPE, a fully reconfigurable physical control surface, is 100% Analogue and 100% digital at the same time, and is available in a Piano Black, Rosewood or carbon fibre and stainless steel case with 25-88 key options, it will be compromised in some way

All that matters really, is does it sound good in a musical context? And is it nice to use?

Not really what I meant, and I realise that one keyboard won’t do it all. It’s more like buying a new car. If you get it from the factory you can pick the colour, what options you want, leave out things you don’t, and make a perfect car for you. Buy from a dealer’s forecourt and you’ll miss out on some things, and get others you don’t want.

I could probably design (at least draw up a spec list of) the perfect synth for me right now, but I couldn’t find it on the market. I got the Nord Wave 2 as it was close, but some more mod options would have been nice, and a bit more flexibility in the layers/splits. But I can live with these relatively minor compromises.
bonefixer
Poster
Posts: 70 Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2022 10:08 pm Location: Isle of Man
Gear: Loads of guitars, Line 6 Helix, Yamaha THR30 amp
Bechstein 1932 5’3” Grand Piano, Yamaha CP88, Yamaha YC61, Nord Wave2, Korg Opsix, Arturia KeyLab88, MacBook Pro, Mainstage, MAudio and Presonus interfaces, Behringer XAir mixer…

Post by The Elf »

There you go. A Nord Wave 2 is a long way from my 'uncompromised' synth. It lacks things I'd want, and it includes features I have no need of.

So...

One man's 'compromised' is another's 'ideal'.
The Elf
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 20022 Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Post by N i g e l »

The Nords do have the wooden waggle stick for pitch bending, I really like that.
Not really keen on the stone wheel.
N i g e l
Frequent Poster
Posts: 3688 Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:40 pm Location: British Isles

Post by ajay_m »

Probably yes. On the other hand, the 49 key hydrasynth I bought a couple of years ago is about the only piece of gear I've ever owned that really didn't disappoint me in any way i.e my fantasy of a 21st century cs80 wasn't shattered.
ajay_m
Frequent Poster

Post by tea for two »

Some musicians say they feel like one with their musical instrument.

Try to find a synth/s module/s software/s that does this for us.

It need not be perfect. It may have lots of compromises. Same as us.
tea for two
Frequent Poster

Post by Arpangel »

Eddy Deegan wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 12:11 pm It's almost as if it would be nice to be able to put together a custom collection of components such as LFOs, filters, oscillators and so on to match your own requirements. If they were all roughly the same size and had the same power requirements they could occupy a chassis of some kind and that would be nice because then there could be an ecosystem of different sorts of podules* from which you could mix and match to your heart's content.

* We could call it a podular!

Modular is "alright" but it’s lacking one very important component for me "polyphony"
To get a modular to play polyphonically to any useful degree, is a total pain, we need more polyphonic modules, that would be a genuine revelation to build your own modular polysynth.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by MarkOne »

Arpangel wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 7:15 am
Eddy Deegan wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 12:11 pm It's almost as if it would be nice to be able to put together a custom collection of components such as LFOs, filters, oscillators and so on to match your own requirements. If they were all roughly the same size and had the same power requirements they could occupy a chassis of some kind and that would be nice because then there could be an ecosystem of different sorts of podules* from which you could mix and match to your heart's content.

* We could call it a podular!

Modular is "alright" but it’s lacking one very important component for me "polyphony"
To get a modular to play polyphonically to any useful degree, is a total pain, we need more polyphonic modules, that would be a genuine revelation to build your own modular polysynth.

Definitely doable though with the Hermod 8 voice thingy. You just need 8 of everything (or 16 to get separate filter and amp envelopes). And a very big box of patch leads. But wow, a different texture for each voice. That alone might get me saving for a modular.

Oh wait, I don’t have anywhere to keep it :roll:
MarkOne
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2736 Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:00 am Location: Bristol, England, Earth, Perseus Gap, Milky Way
My Music on Apple Music
My Music on Spotify

Post by RichardT »

Yes, in some ways I think every synth is a compromise. At the same time, so are all musical instruments. It’s not a problem, so long as we know the limits and capabilities of our instruments.

It does mean that you may need a number of synths in your arsenal. I guess I have around a dozen soft synths and synth-like sample libraries that I use regularly. Others have considerably more than that.
RichardT
Frequent Poster
Posts: 4159 Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2004 12:00 am Location: Ireland

Post by Eddy Deegan »

I love my Hermod but Cre8audio's NiftyKEYZ keyboard case is also very useful as it can do anything from 1 to 4-voice polyphonic Eurorack control, either with splits or layers.

The Winterbloom "Castor and Pollux" (Juno-style dual oscillator module) works wonderfully with it, and I've also got a 2HP Pluck in mine.
Eddy Deegan
Posts: 8816 Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 12:00 am Location: Brighton & Hove, UK
Some of my works | The SOS Forum Album projects  

Post by Arpangel »

Trouble with modular polyphony, is that you do need multiples of everything, it gets very expensive, and, unwieldy.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by t-sun »

There’s always Max/MSP.

The only synth that didn’t feel like a compromise that I loved was Vaz Modular. I guess the issue is that you’ll need a soft synth of you want a truly unlimited tool. Of course, the limitations are usually why i LIKE a piece of gear.
t-sun
Regular

Post by Martin Walker »

t-sun wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 10:38 pm The only synth that didn’t feel like a compromise that I loved was Vaz Modular.

I'm glad someone other than me remembers Vaz Modular - I had great fun reviewing its various releases donkey's years ago ;)

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/so ... modular-21

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/so ... y-vaz-2010
Martin Walker
Posts: 20632 Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:44 am Location: Cornwall, UK