Is every synth a compromise?

For fans of synths, pianos, organs or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Re: Is every synth a compromise?

Post by RichardT »

Yes, in some ways I think every synth is a compromise. At the same time, so are all musical instruments. It’s not a problem, so long as we know the limits and capabilities of our instruments.

It does mean that you may need a number of synths in your arsenal. I guess I have around a dozen soft synths and synth-like sample libraries that I use regularly. Others have considerably more than that.
RichardT
Frequent Poster
Posts: 4404 Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2004 12:00 am Location: Ireland

Post by Eddy Deegan »

I love my Hermod but Cre8audio's NiftyKEYZ keyboard case is also very useful as it can do anything from 1 to 4-voice polyphonic Eurorack control, either with splits or layers.

The Winterbloom "Castor and Pollux" (Juno-style dual oscillator module) works wonderfully with it, and I've also got a 2HP Pluck in mine.
Eddy Deegan
Posts: 9039 Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 12:00 am Location: Brighton & Hove, UK
Some of my works | The SOS Forum Album projects  

Post by Arpangel »

Trouble with modular polyphony, is that you do need multiples of everything, it gets very expensive, and, unwieldy.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by t-sun »

There’s always Max/MSP.

The only synth that didn’t feel like a compromise that I loved was Vaz Modular. I guess the issue is that you’ll need a soft synth of you want a truly unlimited tool. Of course, the limitations are usually why i LIKE a piece of gear.
t-sun
Regular

Post by Martin Walker »

t-sun wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 10:38 pm The only synth that didn’t feel like a compromise that I loved was Vaz Modular.

I'm glad someone other than me remembers Vaz Modular - I had great fun reviewing its various releases donkey's years ago ;)

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/so ... modular-21

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/so ... y-vaz-2010
Martin Walker
Posts: 20734 Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:44 am Location: Cornwall, UK