Storing PA gear in a garage

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Storing PA gear in a garage

Post by Mike Monte »

PA gear in an unheated garage or shed is no problem
however
I find it best to elevate the gear. (I use 2x4's to) create an air space beneath speakers and such. You don't want your gear to "wick-up" and moisture from the floor.
If the gear gets frozen (stored in below-freezing temps), open up the case and allow to defrost (for at least an hour) prior to powering up to avoid condensation issues with the electronics.
Mike Monte
Regular

Post by AlecSp »

SoundArfa wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 12:16 pmAgreed but I was thinking of the vacuum bags that you can attach the Hoover to, in order to draw out all of the air.

You won't remove all the air...
AlecSp
Frequent Poster
Posts: 669 Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2004 12:00 am Location: Herts, UK

Post by SoundArfa »

AlecSp wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:42 pm
SoundArfa wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 12:16 pmAgreed but I was thinking of the vacuum bags that you can attach the Hoover to, in order to draw out all of the air.

You won't remove all the air...

We use vacuum bags to overwinter our touring caravan bedding. You should see what happens to a continental quilt when you remove all of the air with the Hoover....
SoundArfa
Poster

Post by Sam Spoons »

SoundArfa wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 12:56 am We use vacuum bags to overwinter our touring caravan bedding. You should see what happens to a continental quilt when you remove all of the air with the Hoover....

So do we but bedding is compressible, your PA gear is not so you won't be able to remove as significant a proportion of the air from your PA gear. That said if you put them in the bags in a dry environment then they should reduce the risk of condensation when it gets cold.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Posts: 19590 Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2003 12:00 am Location: Manchester UK
People often mistake me for a grown-up because of my age.

Post by SoundArfa »

Sam Spoons wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 5:28 pm
SoundArfa wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 12:56 am We use vacuum bags to overwinter our touring caravan bedding. You should see what happens to a continental quilt when you remove all of the air with the Hoover....

So do we but bedding is compressible, your PA gear is not so you won't be able to remove as significant a proportion of the air from your PA gear. That said if you put them in the bags in a dry environment then they should reduce the risk of condensation when it gets cold.

My thinking was that the interior of the speaker isn't air tight so the air would still be removed as the vacuum crested in the bag draws it out. However, I guess there is a risk of removing it too quickly in case it damages the speaker. A low vacuum speed maybe? Too risky?
SoundArfa
Poster

Post by Sam Spoons »

You won't remove anything like 'all the air' nor get anywhere near a vacuum so you will still have potentially moist air in the bags however there should be no risk to the speaker drivers as the cabs are ported not sealed.

Question for others more knowledgable than me, "would the reduced pressure present a risk to components like capacitors or other encapsulated devices?" My gut feeling says no, especially at the level of 'vacuum' a domestic vacuum cleaner could generate but just to be on the safe side, advicewise...
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Post by James Perrett »

Sam Spoons wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 6:55 pm Question for others more knowledgable than me, "would the reduced pressure present a risk to components like capacitors or other encapsulated devices?" My gut feeling says no, especially at the level of 'vacuum' a domestic vacuum cleaner could generate but just to be on the safe side, advicewise...

I've not been involved in designing any gear to go into a vacuum but for gear that is going to be used under high pressure you need to use devices with no voids and no liquid. So crystals and electrolytic capacitors are out. Electrolytics are replaced by tantalum capacitors or ceramic capacitors. Semiconductors and resistors are usually OK but you need to test thoroughly before approving a design for use at pressure.
James Perrett
Posts: 14250 Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2001 12:00 am Location: The wilds of Hampshire
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Post by Sam Spoons »

:thumbup: That makes sense, given that a typical vacuum cleaner can achieve about 80% vacuum, equivalent to about 6000' above sea level (the summit of Ben Nevis is 4437' above sea level) then it ain't going to trouble normal gear :D
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Post by resistorman »

I've had better results keeping things ventilated rather than sealed. You could use a fan on low to keep air moving, the cold is not going to hurt PA gear, wiring etc. The trouble with sealing is that even using a vacuum there is still moisture and spores in there.
resistorman
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 2679 Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:00 am Location: Asheville NC
"The Best" piece of gear is subjective.

Post by Sam Spoons »

Yes, good point :thumbup: I store my powered speakers in their gig bags which are not airtight but do give some protection from the effect of big temperature and humidity changes.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Post by Mike Stranks »

Low temperatures were never a problem in my experience... 'twas always the damp...

... and for those not in the UK, you probably have no idea how damp 'damp' can be here! Just looking out of the window at the moment... :lol:
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster