Kick louder beneath my desk than my sitting posiiton. Who's telling the truth?

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Moderator: Moderators

Kick louder beneath my desk than my sitting posiiton. Who's telling the truth?

Post by jellyjim »

Hello

If I go under my desk, the kick drum or any bass is much louder than when I'm at my seated position.

Which position is telling the truth?

This particular room has no acoustic treatment but my monitors are Genelecs with the room compensation feature. My desk is against a wall but the monitors have a fair bit of clearance from it.

I'm assuming my seated position is more accurate as there must be all sorts of crazy interference and reflections under my desk.

Thanks.
jellyjim
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1680 Joined: Wed May 15, 2002 12:00 am Location: uk
Original artwork and unique devices inspired by vintage technology http://www.thisisobsolete.com

Re: Kick louder beneath my desk than my sitting posiiton. Who's telling the truth?

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

jellyjim wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 12:56 amIf I go under my desk, the kick drum or any bass is much louder than when I'm at my seated position.

Which position is telling the truth?

Quite probably neither!

Ideally, the sound should be correctly balanced at your listening position... but that will depend on the room acoustics as well as the speakers. A room-correction system like Sonarworks (etc) and or an acoustics analysis system like REW would tell you more about how neutral (or not) the listening position is.

A desk is a large resonant cavity, so you're always going to get an LF boost under there, plus you're much closer to a solid boundary (the floor) so you've got boundary effect boost going too. Simple physics suggest low frequency instruments would be louder under the desk.... or near a wall, and especially near a corner!

This is also why putting a subwoofer under the desk is rarely a good idea!

This particular room has no acoustic treatment but my monitors are Genelecs with the room compensation feature

The latter doesn't compensate for the former (despite the name)... it just helps to reign things in a bit. Acoustic issues need physical correction – meaning properly implemented acoustic treatment. Systems like SAM and Sonarworks are great at polishing a reasonable room... but not at dealing with untreated room modes and mirror points.

Clesrly, if you can afford decent Genelecs you can afford decent room treatment... and the improvement would be well worthwhile.
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 39001 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Re: Kick louder beneath my desk than my sitting posiiton. Who's telling the truth?

Post by Drew Stephenson »

Both are telling their truth in each position. Assuming you've set your SAM stuff up with the mic at your sitting position that should be accurate(ish) at that position. But in an untreated room expect it to change wildly as you move around the room.
Headphones are your friend for low end in untreated rooms, and most partially treated rooms as well frankly.

EDIT - Hugh got there first and better! :D
Drew Stephenson
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 24601 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
(The forumuser formerly known as Blinddrew)
Ignore the post count, I still have no idea what I'm doing...
https://drewstephenson.bandcamp.com/