Everse 8 Limiter - how much is too much?

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Moderator: Moderators

Everse 8 Limiter - how much is too much?

Post by zackp »

So I’ve been messing with this Pa and we decided to try an upright through it. Sounds amazing. I finally figured out the gain staging and noticed sometimes even when all levels are clearly green the limit will flash when a big slapped note will hit. The first few songs it was flashing a decent amount, probably like 20 times. But after messing with it it was maybe 1-3 times a song I’d that. I added some compressor also. Is this terribly wrong?
zackp
Poster

Re: Everse 8 Limiter - how much is too much?

Post by Drew Stephenson »

Aha, finally a thread I can comment on with confidence! :D

Double bass can produce huge transients, far more than any other instrument I've played with or recorded (other than snare drums). So I wouldn't be at all surprised if the limiter is kicking in occasionally.
A bit of compression will do no harm but you have to be careful with your attack speed, if you set it too fast then it can introduce some unpleasant artefacts because of the slower onset of bass frequencies.
So experiment and see what works.
Drew Stephenson
Jedi Poster
Posts: 24450 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
(The forumuser formerly known as Blinddrew)
Ignore the post count, I still have no idea what I'm doing...
https://drewstephenson.bandcamp.com/

Post by zackp »

blinddrew wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 11:39 am Aha, finally a thread I can comment on with confidence! :D

Double bass can produce huge transients, far more than any other instrument I've played with or recorded (other than snare drums). So I wouldn't be at all surprised if the limiter is kicking in occasionally.
A bit of compression will do no harm but you have to be careful with your attack speed, if you set it too fast then it can introduce some unpleasant artefacts because of the slower onset of bass frequencies.
So experiment and see what works.

Thanks for the awesome response. Would you say what I mentioned is “occasionally?” Or too much? I would say when we got it worked out it was a good amount less. There was never any red lining, it just seemed like specific heavily slapped notes would do this with the green clearly never left. Early on in the set it had happened like 15-20 times a song but I realized the speaker has a master volume alongside the speaker main gain level and I’d been using the wrong thing like an idiot! (Super confusing as the speaker has a speaker volume, but the app it’s not as spear).
zackp
Poster

Post by Drew Stephenson »

1-3 times per song on slap sections wouldn't be troubling me. They're incredibly short transients so you're not going to get any build up of energy in the voice coil.
Drew Stephenson
Jedi Poster
Posts: 24450 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
(The forumuser formerly known as Blinddrew)
Ignore the post count, I still have no idea what I'm doing...
https://drewstephenson.bandcamp.com/

Post by zackp »

blinddrew wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 6:40 pm 1-3 times per song on slap sections wouldn't be troubling me. They're incredibly short transients so you're not going to get any build up of energy in the voice coil.

Thanks for that info. It’s interesting as sometimes it’s not slaps but specific notes. Big low notes won’t do it but a specific mid neck note will. Kinda interesting.

That makes sense. EV says their limiter limits a few decibels before the actual peak to highly protect from clipping and other problems. So it seems they’ve highly safeguarded their stuff
zackp
Poster