Mailing a synth - ideas?

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Moderator: Moderators

Mailing a synth - ideas?

Post by This Wreckage »

I'm selling a synth over ebay and, as it is without its original box, I'm unsure as to how (without spending too much) to package it securely. Has anyone else done this, and how did you do it?
This Wreckage
Poster

Re: Mailing a synth - ideas?

Post by BigRedX »

How big is the synth - 5 octave keyboard or bigger/smaller?

I sold a Casio CZ1 which didn't have a box. Wrapped it in plenty of bubble wrap - at least 4 layers all round, and then went to my local bicycle shop and got a bike box (they are normally only too happy to get rid of them) which I cut down the length and height (but not the width) to fit. The rest of the box was made into "collapsable packing" that went between the wrapped synth and the inside of the box. I also used some fabric roll tubes cut in half along the axis as extra protection on the synth ends. All of this apart from the bubble wrap was free.

Don't use Parcelforce as their insurance which they will quite happily sell you doesn't include musical instruments. I usually use UPS for all my large parcels.

Good luck.
BigRedX
Frequent Poster
RockinRollin' VampireMan

Post by This Wreckage »

BigRedX wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 11:15 am How big is the synth - 5 octave keyboard or bigger/smaller?

It's a Yamaha MX49, so quite short. That's some good advice, thank you.
This Wreckage
Poster

Post by OneWorld »

BigRedX wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 11:15 am
Don't use Parcelforce..........

Chance would be a fine thing, aren't they on-strike? I am expecting a parcel and I usually wait 2-3 days, it is now day 10, and as yet, no sign of the item. I enquired about it and was told - 'Due to strike action.....'
OneWorld
Frequent Poster

Post by The Elf »

Get a lot of cardboard. Get a lot of packing. Get a lot of gaffa tape. Get making a box!!
The Elf
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 20053 Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Post by Forum Admin »

Don't try to force it into the letterbox! :headbang::D

Seriously, UPS always reliable for me in UK and shipping into Europe.
Forum Admin
Posts: 4291 Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2003 11:00 pm Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
Search 16,966 SOS Reviews+Techniques articles: www.soundonsound.com/search
SOS Podcasts

Post by Luke W »

The Elf wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 4:37 pm Get a lot of cardboard. Get a lot of packing. Get a lot of gaffa tape. Get making a box!!

:thumbup:

And possibly bubble wrap. It's safe to say that no kit I've ever posted would win any awards for presentation, but it's always arrived safe and well.
Luke W
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1542 Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:00 am Location: Northamptonshire, UK

Post by tea for two »

I take photos videos as I'm (w)rapping also when handing over to courier.
tea for two
Frequent Poster

Post by MarkOne »

tea for two wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 8:19 am I take photos videos as I'm (w)rapping also when handing over to courier.

Yep, I’ve done this.

Sold several synths this year. Had to get busy with cardboard foam off cuts bubble wrap and gaffer tape (I also had some off cuts of 3mm MDF which made a rigid base to build up from)

If you go into Tesco (probably other supermarkets too) and ask to speak to the manager, you can sometimes get them to supply you some cardboard (it’s at the discretion of the store manager though)

The storage unit I rent does a good deal on used moving boxes for a few quid. And don’t be afraid to factor the cost of packaging into the shipping cost you quote.
MarkOne
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2742 Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:00 am Location: Bristol, England, Earth, Perseus Gap, Milky Way
My Music on Apple Music
My Music on Spotify

Post by This Wreckage »

MarkOne wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 12:50 pmAnd don’t be afraid to factor the cost of packaging into the shipping cost you quote.

Thanks for reminding me of that particular cost, as it seems to be adding up considerably.
This Wreckage
Poster

Post by The Elf »

This Wreckage wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 1:21 pm
MarkOne wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 12:50 pmAnd don’t be afraid to factor the cost of packaging into the shipping cost you quote.

Thanks for reminding me of that particular cost, as it seems to be adding up considerably.

Some free boxes from the local supermarket and a few torn up newspapers?! Nah!

I've sent synths the world over and I've never had a problem with a bit of generous packing and some strong (or doubled) cardboard. It's just common sense - if it doesn't look sturdy and protected, it isn't - add more packaging/space and/or cardboard.

A box within a box, insulated with scrunched-up paper is a good shock absorber.
The Elf
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 20053 Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Post by muzines »

Also, you can make thick, chunky bubble wrap end/middle supports, similar to what the polystyrene fillers do in the regular shipping boxes, so the thing has some padding and space around it before it meets the box edges. This will help if it gets dropped in shipping...

Also, there many informative guides on YouTube, eg:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8LRUTswkq8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDlUZRV04bI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7CXVNw2Ct8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhQUFAVOvU8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsUI4eidv-g
muzines
Jedi Poster
..............................mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio  | Legacy Logic Project Conversion

Post by This Wreckage »

muzines wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 4:12 pm Also, you can make thick, chunky bubble wrap end/middle supports, similar to what the polystyrene fillers do in the regular shipping boxes, so the thing has some padding and space around it before it meets the box edges. This will help if it gets dropped in shipping...

Thank you for all that. I'm trying to get a box from Halfords the bike shop but (a) they seem to always have just sent them off when I go in and (b) I only have a bike myself as transport and a bike box seems quite big...
This Wreckage
Poster

Post by resistorman »

This Wreckage wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 4:50 pm
muzines wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 4:12 pm Also, you can make thick, chunky bubble wrap end/middle supports, similar to what the polystyrene fillers do in the regular shipping boxes, so the thing has some padding and space around it before it meets the box edges. This will help if it gets dropped in shipping...

Thank you for all that. I'm trying to get a box from Halfords the bike shop but (a) they seem to always have just sent them off when I go in and (b) I only have a bike myself as transport and a bike box seems quite big...

Classic Catch22 :D
resistorman
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2693 Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:00 am Location: Asheville NC
"The Best" piece of gear is subjective.

Post by BigRedX »

I've walked the 2-3 miles carry a bike box form the city centre bike shop to where I live on numerous occasions, and IMO it's perfectly do-able. I haven't come across any better boxes (other than getting a proper full flight case and wrapping it in cardboard) for protecting musical instruments from delivery services.
BigRedX
Frequent Poster
RockinRollin' VampireMan

Post by This Wreckage »

BigRedX wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 11:01 am I've walked the 2-3 miles carry a bike box form the city centre bike shop to where I live on numerous occasions, and IMO it's perfectly do-able. I haven't come across any better boxes (other than getting a proper full flight case and wrapping it in cardboard) for protecting musical instruments from delivery services.

Well, that's encouraging. Once I can get to Halfords when they actually have a box, I'll balance it on my bike and walk it home. When it stops raining, that is.
This Wreckage
Poster

Post by resistorman »

If all else fails: here in the US you can buy boxes from Reverb and have them shipped to you.
resistorman
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2693 Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:00 am Location: Asheville NC
"The Best" piece of gear is subjective.

Post by James Perrett »

If you have no luck with bike boxes you could have a look at packaging suppliers. As an example...

https://www.kitepackaging.co.uk/scp/hea ... uty-boxes/

I've bought boxes for mailing reel to reel tapes from them in the past.
James Perrett
Posts: 14379 Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2001 12:00 am Location: The wilds of Hampshire
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page