Head-scratcher... any thoughts?

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Moderator: Moderators

Head-scratcher... any thoughts?

Post by Mike Stranks »

Win 11 user; new deskop in July with Win 11 preinstalled. Thus far, a happy bunny, but...

Here's a puzzle...

A few days ago I think I 'fumble-fingered' at the LH of my keyboard - and may have done something wacky involving the CTRL key...

So here's what I'm now experiencing...

At log-on the Welcome Screen is displayed with the invitation to enter my PIN. But it won't let me enter the PIN - keyboard inactive.

So I click on 'enter password'. The switch to password entry starts. If I then click the cancel (x) icon. The PIN screen comes back at smaller resolution. Now I can enter the PIN and am good to go...

But then sometimes I'll find that I can't use control-key functions and have to right-click and use menu entries... even for Copy/Paste.

Accessing the web through Firefox or Chrome also glitches. Sometimes I can't close tabs except by using menu 'Close Tab' entries... and the mouse wheel suddenly switches from scrolling to becoming a screen zoom in/out control. Using the keyboard merely opens HTML options - the keyborad is not letting me enter text. A restart and the PIN-dance - see above - gets me back on track for a while... but if I 'sleep' the PC everything's haywire on wake-up and I have to rsetart to get stability again.

I've tried all the usual recommendations - Keyboard Troubleshooter, reinstalling the browsers, checking keyboard drivers, disconnecting and reconnecting keyboard, etc. scf /scannow said it had fixed some stuff - but not this!

I've run Glary which is up to date and Malwarebytes. No difference. All Windows updates installed...

Am I in 'boot from CD', 'load image' (both of which I saved about 3 weeks ago!) territory? If so a child's step by step would be appreciated. I don't want to screw things completely. Oh; also I have no qualms about unsecured data... I use Backblaze!

Any suggestions much appreciated! Thanks!
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Re: Head-scratcher... any thoughts?

Post by resistorman »

Does 11 still have system restore? You could try that before loading an image. Sounds pretty borked.
resistorman
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 2679 Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:00 am Location: Asheville NC
"The Best" piece of gear is subjective.

Post by merlyn »

There are keyboard shortcuts on the left side of the keyboard that switch the keyboard layout and language. Have you switched layout? I wouldn't have thought that would affect the Ctrl key, but worth a look.
merlyn
Frequent Poster
It ain't what you don't know. It's what you know that ain't so.

Post by ef37a »

resistorman wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 2:21 pm Does 11 still have system restore? You could try that before loading an image. Sounds pretty borked.

Might have R man, they tried to hide it a bit in W10, maybe they have done away with it altogether for 11?

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster
Posts: 16448 Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 12:00 am Location: northampton uk

Post by awjoe »

The Microsoft support page has instructions for it.
awjoe
Jedi Poster
Chronologically blessed.

Post by The Elf »

Give Pete at Scan a ring. They are the best kind of people to advise.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
Posts: 19939 Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

merlyn wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 3:58 pm There are keyboard shortcuts on the left side of the keyboard that switch the keyboard layout and language. Have you switched layout?

I was going to suggest this. Go into settings and check which keyboard layout is registered.
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 38835 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Post by Mike Stranks »

Hmmm

Just completed an image restore from before this problem occurred... still present... :cry:

I shall now pursue your 'keyboard' suggestions...

... which I did... only UK and US shown... deleted US... still the same... :(
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Post by Drew Stephenson »

Have shufti in the device settings for the keyboard and see if there's anything odd there.
Might also be worth checking there's nothing funny running in the start-up configuration.
Drew Stephenson
Jedi Poster
Posts: 24450 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
(The forumuser formerly known as Blinddrew)
Ignore the post count, I still have no idea what I'm doing...
https://drewstephenson.bandcamp.com/

Post by resistorman »

Maybe the keyboard itself is bad… has it had a drink lately, or maybe too many crisps?
resistorman
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 2679 Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:00 am Location: Asheville NC
"The Best" piece of gear is subjective.

Post by sonics »

Agreed. Such odd behaviour it doesn't sound like a Windows thing, and sounds too odd to be linked to the accessibility features. The first thing I would have done is tried another keyboard...
sonics
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1583 Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2003 12:00 am Location: Canada

Post by Mike Stranks »

sonics wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:57 pm The first thing I would have done is tried another keyboard...

So would I, if I'd had one... I may not be a Windows expert, but I'm not a complete *******

I ordered one immediately I became aware of the 'keyboard' focus of the funnies... it's caught-up in the current UK postal shenanigans...

Drew: Thanks for the suggestion; I had a look, but all seemed well.

BTW... PC, keyboard and mouse less than six months old (Lenovo)... been delighted up to this point....

Everything now on hold until the arrival of the new keyboard... all stable as long as I perform the little PIN-dance when first booting and awaking from sleep.

Thanks for your interest and suggestions...
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster