QuickTime Recording

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: QuickTime Recording

Post by sonics »

I'm going to go back to the task of trying to get OBS working, assuming that to be the method you would prefer, rather than having to sync your audio in post.

I have a new-ish M1 Mac Mini here, running Monterey. I am going to need OBS on it, and it had not yet been installed.

I ran the latest OBS Studio installer and made sure to allow the app access to the microphone in "System Preferences>Security&Privacy>Privacy>Microphone" as it requests during the installation. If you have not done that, then OBS will not have access to the inputs on your interface, and you may see the device, but get no signal. This is a known issue for audio apps.

Then in OBS Settings>Audio add your interface as mic/aux device. You should then be able to add it to the Sources device list.

Once done, I had no problems seeing my microphone levels (from my PreSonus interface) in OBS.

(I believe that you don't need to configure a special audio routing app unless you need to record or stream the desktop audio. I did not install any such app.)

P.S. Set your interface to 48kHz. It's the best option unless you are recording a CD.
sonics
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1638 Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2003 12:00 am Location: Canada

Post by nickle15 »

sonics wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 11:04 pm I'm going to go back to the task of trying to get OBS working, assuming that to be the method you would prefer, rather than having to sync your audio in post.

I have a new-ish M1 Mac Mini here, running Monterey. I am going to need OBS on it, and it had not yet been installed.

I ran the latest OBS Studio installer and made sure to allow the app access to the microphone in "System Preferences>Security&Privacy>Privacy>Microphone" as it requests during the installation. If you have not done that, then OBS will not have access to the inputs on your interface, and you may see the device, but get no signal. This is a known issue for audio apps.

Then in OBS Settings>Audio add your interface as mic/aux device. You should then be able to add it to the Sources device list.

Once done, I had no problems seeing my microphone levels (from my PreSonus interface) in OBS.

(I believe that you don't need to configure a special audio routing app unless you need to record or stream the desktop audio. I did not install any such app.)

P.S. Set your interface to 48kHz. It's the best option unless you are recording a CD.

Huge step forward here, I think. I was able to plug a mic into the FR and it came to life. I recorded using my webcam and mic input on the interface and it worked! I hadn't tried that input (input 2) in the tests up to now. So...

I have an analog mixer that all my keyboards route through, then they run into my inputs 5/6 on the FR. Am I correct then in assuming I have to find a way to get OBS to recognize 5/6 before I have any hope of capturing that audio? That's the big hurdle at this point. If I can get that lined up I'm good to go!

You have my sincere thanks. You've helped me accomplish some goals here that I've been working on for many months and I'm grateful. Thank you!!
nickle15
Regular

Post by sonics »

nickle15 wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 11:59 pm Am I correct then in assuming I have to find a way to get OBS to recognize 5/6 before I have any hope of capturing that audio?

I believe that would be done using the Focusrite Control app. That should allow you to route and control signals within the interface, giving you the mix of signals you want going into OBS. ...I think :)
sonics
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1638 Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2003 12:00 am Location: Canada

Post by nickle15 »

sonics wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 1:17 am
nickle15 wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 11:59 pm Am I correct then in assuming I have to find a way to get OBS to recognize 5/6 before I have any hope of capturing that audio?

I believe that would be done using the Focusrite Control app. That should allow you to route and control signals within the interface, giving you the mix of signals you want going into OBS. ...I think :)

I bet you’re right! I’ll take a look. Thanks again!!!
nickle15
Regular