Minor second dissonances

Arrangement, instrumentation, lyric writing, music theory, inspiration… it’s all here.

Moderator: Moderators

Minor second dissonances

Post by Mr Showbiz »

Why do some minor second intervals sound more dissonant than others to me?

Also why does this dissonance seem to be affected by the register played; worse in the middle registers? (This would appear to counter the overtone series.)

Is it my imagination?
Mr Showbiz
Poster

Re: Minor second dissonances

Post by sonics »

What's the instrument under discussion? If we take a perfectly intonated instrument tuned in equal temperament, all the intervals should sound the same. Other instruments may be very different indeed. Also, beat frequencies occurring with change depending on the pitches played.

Perhaps tell us more about where you are noticing this effect?
sonics
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1634 Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2003 12:00 am Location: Canada

Post by Martin Walker »

I suspect it all depends on how long this interval is held, and if it then resolves to a more 'natural' sounding cadence.
Martin Walker
Posts: 20634 Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:44 am Location: Cornwall, UK

Post by adamburgess »

Do you mean only minor 2nds on their own? Like E+F sounds 'different' to A+Bb?
Probably won't be too dissimilar in themselves, but all about context. What's before and after etc…

Paired with another note(s), there's lots of interesting chords to be had.
They can end up as suspensions, or be 'softened', or made more 'dissonant'…
adamburgess
Regular

Post by merlyn »

Dissonance and beat frequencies are pretty much the same thing. Consonant intervals don't beat as much as dissonant intervals. There is beating between the fundamentals, and also between the harmonics. Take the most consonant interval : the octave.

Code: Select all

A3 : 0220 0440 0660 0880 1760 ...
A4 :      0440 0880 1320 1760 ...
There's nothing to beat there. If the two notes were out of tune we would hear beats. The second harmonic of A3 is exactly the same frequency as the fundamental of A4.

Now take a semitone (rounding to the nearest Hz):

Code: Select all

A4 : 0440 0880 1320 1760 2200 ...
Bb4: 0460 0920 1380 1840 2300 ...
There are beat frequencies of 20Hz, 40Hz, 60Hz, 80Hz, 100Hz ... which is what we hear as dissonance.

Semitones do sound different depending on what pitch they are at. All intervals sound different depending on what pitch they are at because pitch is logarithmic and beats are a simple arithmetic difference in frequency.
merlyn
Frequent Poster
It ain't what you don't know. It's what you know that ain't so.

Post by Arpangel »

B Minor is the worst, or the best, depending on how you look at it.
I composed a piece in B Minor, and it always sounds a bit weird compared to other keys, and, it has a series of left hand chords in it that comprise mainly seconds, or ninths, which sound very odd. The seconds, or ninths, definitely sound slightly dissonant compared with other keys.
Yes, some keys are different in this respect, maybe this is a side effect of equal temperament, compared with other methods of tuning.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by sonics »

Arpangel wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 11:09 am Yes, some keys are different in this respect, maybe this is a side effect of equal temperament, compared with other methods of tuning.

Surely that "side effect" would be all keys sounding the same?!
sonics
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1634 Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2003 12:00 am Location: Canada

Post by shufflebeat »

adamburgess wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 9:29 am ...all about context. What's before and after etc…

Also what's around it - it's a thin line between a minor 2nd and a major 7th.
shufflebeat
Longtime Poster
Posts: 9102 Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:00 am Location: Manchester, UK
“…I can tell you I don't have money, but what I do have are a very particular set of skills. Skills I have acquired over a very long career” - (folk musician, Manchester).

Post by shufflebeat »

sonics wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 6:58 pm
Arpangel wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 11:09 am Yes, some keys are different in this respect, maybe this is a side effect of equal temperament, compared with other methods of tuning.

Surely that "side effect" would be all keys sounding the same?!

BBC "Key Matters":

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00tw55v

Conclusion (if memory serves) - probably all the same unless you've been conditioned into a particular way of thinking.
shufflebeat
Longtime Poster
“…I can tell you I don't have money, but what I do have are a very particular set of skills. Skills I have acquired over a very long career” - (folk musician, Manchester).

Post by Martin Walker »

shufflebeat wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 9:46 pm BBC "Key Matters":

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00tw55v

Conclusion (if memory serves) - probably all the same unless you've been conditioned into a particular way of thinking.

Ooh, great link - thanks shufflebeat! :thumbup:
Martin Walker
Posts: 20634 Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:44 am Location: Cornwall, UK

Post by shufflebeat »

I can't remember if I caught every episode but I will try to check it out again.
shufflebeat
Longtime Poster

Post by merlyn »

Arpangel wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 11:09 am B Minor is the worst, or the best, depending on how you look at it.

Depends who you ask. According to Spinal Tap, D minor is the "saddest of all keys".
merlyn
Frequent Poster

Post by Arpangel »

merlyn wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 3:05 pm
Arpangel wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 11:09 am B Minor is the worst, or the best, depending on how you look at it.

Depends who you ask. According to Spinal Tap, D minor is the "saddest of all keys".

It is, it is.

:frown:
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by adamburgess »

Just finished playing for a night of Les Miserables… The Gb major bit on harp was quite sad. The minor stuff is much more 'bitey' than sad in this show.

All about context (and timbre, and arrangement, and… and… and…)
adamburgess
Regular

Post by merlyn »

Arpangel wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 6:03 pm

It is, it is.

Perhaps worth noting that Spinal Tap are not the most reliable source of information for matters relating to music.
merlyn
Frequent Poster

Post by shufflebeat »

merlyn wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:25 pm
Arpangel wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 6:03 pm

It is, it is.

Perhaps worth noting that Spinal Tap are not the most reliable source of information for matters relating to music.

Or maybe electronics.
shufflebeat
Longtime Poster

Post by Sam Spoons »

But they do go up to 11 :D
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Posts: 19704 Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2003 12:00 am Location: Manchester UK
People often mistake me for a grown-up because of my age.

Post by Arpangel »

merlyn wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:25 pm Perhaps worth noting that Spinal Tap are not the most reliable source of information for matters relating to music.

Are they musicians?
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by merlyn »

Arpangel wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:20 pm Are they musicians?

Spinal Tap think they are musicians. I'll let you decide for yourself. Here is Nigel Tufnel of Spinal Tap with his tastefully titled D minor ditty in the style of Mach. (A cross between Mozart and Bach).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgViOqGJEvM
merlyn
Frequent Poster

Post by Arpangel »

They are 'entertainers' very good ones, isn't that what we all are, as musicians, ultimately?
Arpangel
Jedi Poster