Really compact 'run and gun' mics - an interesting discovery...

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Really compact 'run and gun' mics - an interesting discovery...

Post by Mike Stranks »

I've been researching the really small mics designed for video use.

I've just bought a new (to me) camcorder where the hot-shoe is very close to the front. This means even the usual suspects in the short-shotgun field are out of the question for run-and-gun because of visual intrusion when panning wide.

So the little guys from Rode, Deity, Comica et al have been having the once-over...

The Sennhesier MKE-200 takes an interesting approach. Rather than the usual attachable foam and dead-kitten wind-shields, it's a supercardioid mounted in its own blimp, but supplied with a furry for stronger winds. Test evidence when compared with the 'others' is good.

Now, at c.£75 I'm under no illusions about ultimate quality - and in terms of overall sound indoors it's by no means 'best of bunch'. (For me, it does have a lot going for it though.)

But it's got me wondering whether anyone else has/will enter the market with an oven-ready blimp/mic combo? As a user of a Rode Blimp with various decent mics, I know that for the pro, full choice is vital and it's born out by the generated quality, but for the serious amateur, I think the sheer simplicity and convenience of an all-in-one might be attractive...
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Re: Really compact 'run and gun' mics - an interesting discovery...

Post by Drew Stephenson »

Interesting approach. Given the limited dimensions there's naturally going to be some compromises involved but for outdoors use I'd be very interested in a comparison with some of the Rode equivalents.
It is very dinky though, I wonder if a slightly larger one, with more space between the blimp and the mic would be any kind of improvement or whether it wouldn't make much difference until you got up to 'proper' sizes.
Drew Stephenson
Jedi Poster
Posts: 24450 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
(The forumuser formerly known as Blinddrew)
Ignore the post count, I still have no idea what I'm doing...
https://drewstephenson.bandcamp.com/

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

blinddrew wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 1:31 pmGiven the limited dimensions there's naturally going to be some compromises involved

This is true. But having the mic on the camera is a compromise anyway (unless you're just capturing general stmos soundtracks).

wonder if a slightly larger one, with more space between the blimp and the mic would be any kind of improvement...

Yes. The greater the distance twixt mic diaphragm and windshield surface, the better the noise attenuation will be. I can't remember whether it's a square or cube relationship, but a small change makes a big difference.

Of course, a bigger windshield means bulkier and heavier, so a practical compromise is necessary.

The sharp edges of the cylindrical windshield will create additional noise through turbulence — which is why Rycotes (etc) all have domed ends — but it's obviously more expensive to manufacture a blimp than a cylinder. Compromises again.
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 38835 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Hugh Robjohns wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 2:56 pm Yes. The greater the distance twixt mic diaphragm and windshield surface, the better the noise attenuation will be. I can't remember whether it's a square or cube relationship, but a small change makes a big difference.

That was my starting assumption, but then I wondered if it might be one of those things where you get an initial improvement, but then not much difference until to you move to something much larger.
Something with about twice the dimensions (in all axes) of the Sennheiser might still be camera-mountable without being too bulky.
Drew Stephenson
Jedi Poster

Post by Tomás Mulcahy »

Hugh Robjohns wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 2:56 pm
blinddrew wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 1:31 pmGiven the limited dimensions there's naturally going to be some compromises involved

This is true. But having the mic on the camera is a compromise anyway (unless you're just capturing general stmos soundtracks).

Agreed. I personally don't like a single mic on the camera, it's neither here nor there. There are a lot of stereo mics that are nice and short. Here's my budget rig with a Sony camcorder mic, like all their small mics it sounds a lot better than you might expect.
Tomás Mulcahy
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 2552 Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2001 12:00 am Location: Cork, Ireland.

Post by shufflebeat »

Looks like your camera is being impregnated by an Elvis impersonator.
shufflebeat
Jedi Poster
Posts: 9091 Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:00 am Location: Manchester, UK
“…I can tell you I don't have money, but what I do have are a very particular set of skills. Skills I have acquired over a very long career” - (folk musician, Manchester).

Post by Mike Stranks »

I've bought one...

... like so much, somewhere 'in transit'...
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Post by ronmac »

Mike Stranks wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 12:46 pm I've just bought a new (to me) camcorder where the hot-shoe is very close to the front. This means even the usual suspects in the short-shotgun field are out of the question for run-and-gun because of visual intrusion when panning wide.

There are camera shoe bars available that allow you to mount to one side or behind the lens pickup area.

ronmac
Regular
Posts: 272 Joined: Wed Sep 27, 2006 12:00 am Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Turn the knobs 'til the music moves ya.

Post by sonics »

Mike Stranks wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 11:58 am I've bought one...

I'd be interested in a mini review once you're given it a workout. :)
sonics
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1582 Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2003 12:00 am Location: Canada

Post by Mike Stranks »

Arrived today... does not intrude 'in shot' on full wide-angle even with 'fluffy' in place.

The audio is acceptable for what I want from 'run and gun' - more directional and mono compared to built-in mic array. If I need the video to be used for something 'important', judicious use of iZotope RX will deal with any shortcomings inherent in the mic.

Happy bunny! :)
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

:thumbup:
Drew Stephenson
Jedi Poster