Real time (live) tempo correction

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Real time (live) tempo correction

Post by Wonks »

Could you not treat each segment in the build-up as a different sample, so you trigger the next sample using a footswitch every two bars, rather than have the whole build-up as a single sample? I know that solution should work for Radar Love, but could it work for other songs as well?

Drummers can either work with click tracks or they can’t. The last gig I saw (just over a week ago) the drummer (and the band) were obviously using clicks as the singer was perfectly in time with a video of theirs from the late 80s/early 90s projected above them.

It may take a little while to master but if you want to keep the trio format whilst triggering long samples, then it really is worth giving it a go. It doesn’t need to be an actual headphone click, it can be a visual indication, there are MIDI tempo to light devices around.

Having a click doesn’t mean that you can’t push and pull the note timings, but it does allow you to work easily with samples the way you want to.

There’s also tempo detection prior to the start of the sample start, but if the drummer can’t keep exact time for a long single sample playback, you then require the software to constantly change the playback tempo and stretch or compact the sample on the fly, which isn’t a good thing IMO to be going on, and is very open to mishits or a dropped stick totally confusing any tempo calculating software.

So I’d definitely consider using some form of click, whether audio or visual, or else split the sample up into sections that can be triggered manually every one or two bars with a footswitch.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Posts: 17001 Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 12:00 am Location: Reading, UK
Reliably fallible.

Post by rockydennis »

What if you split the guitar signal, and send one to a synth pedal (or a guitar to midi device, and send that to a synth), so you're double tracking your guitar with another sound. I think that could work well for Radar Love, not sure about whatever other songs you are performing.
rockydennis
Regular

Post by Wonks »

Yes, definitely some scope for a synth pedal like an SY300 on Radar Love, but it might be a reasonably hefty outlay and time investment just for one song. But if you have other songs where synth chords would be appropriate, something to consider?

Otherwise I’d just try and either rearrange the songs so you don’t need the samples or move to other songs that don’t need them. Or else get a keyboard player in again.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Posts: 17001 Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 12:00 am Location: Reading, UK
Reliably fallible.

Post by James Perrett »

It is also worth saying that a click track doesn't have to be a click. Many drummers use a drum machine pattern that is similar in feel to the pattern that they will be playing.
James Perrett
Posts: 14250 Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2001 12:00 am Location: The wilds of Hampshire
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Post by MarkOne »

You just need to make sure it's really clear in the drummer's IEMs

Last night due to a combination of a tiny stage area and bar geometry trapping the backline sound and a very noisy crowd, the drummer lost the click briefly and our cover of Rio was half a bar behind for the rest of the song. Fortunately only the drummer and I really knew as we are the only ones on IEMs and although the synth arpeggios were a bit weird, everyone was having enough of a fine old time* to either notice or care

Also, the rest of the band need to know the song really well! There is no missing your cue and waiting for the band to play another 4 bars** The click and backing don't know you've missed!

*Alchohol was involved

**It's embarrassing to have to halt the click and start again (don't ask me how I know)
MarkOne
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 2713 Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:00 am Location: Bristol, England, Earth, Perseus Gap, Milky Way
My Music on Apple Music
My Music on Spotify

Post by BigRedX »

MarkOne wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:35 pmLast night due to a combination of a tiny stage area and bar geometry trapping the backline sound and a very noisy crowd, the drummer lost the click briefly and our cover of Rio was half a bar behind for the rest of the song. Fortunately only the drummer and I really knew as we are the only ones on IEMs and although the synth arpeggios were a bit weird, everyone was having enough of a fine old time* to either notice or care

Back in the late 90s at the first gig with our new and very good drummer (he was an ex-session player who had previously worked in Nashville) he decided that instead of sticking to the standard "4 on the floor" kick drum intro for our final song, he'd add a bit of interesting syncopation with the result that the rest of the band completely lost the plot rhythmically and we played the whole song half a bar behind the MIDI controlled backing which made the harmonic structure of the song a bit more "interesting" than it would normally have been. At least the rest of the band finished after the backing rather than us stopping and the "invisible synth player" carrying on. Of course no-one other than the band noticed - not even the previous guitarist and drummer who'd come to see us and had played that song when they were in the band.
BigRedX
Frequent Poster (Level2)
RockinRollin' VampireMan

Post by sonics »

BigRedX wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 2:55 pm At least the rest of the band finished after the backing rather than us stopping and the "invisible synth player" carrying on. Of course no-one other than the band noticed - not even the previous guitarist and drummer who'd come to see us and had played that song when they were in the band.

So, so common... :lol:

I refuse to work with the Track brothers (Click and Backing); they're so dull, and never have a drink with you after the gig.
sonics
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1580 Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2003 12:00 am Location: Canada

Post by BigRedX »

sonics wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 4:50 pmI refuse to work with the Track brothers (Click and Backing); they're so dull, and never have a drink with you after the gig.

OtOH they don't need a cut of the gig money or get so drunk they are unable to play. Also they don't take forever to set up their kit. The drummer and second synth player for Hurtsfall fit in a 3U rack case and are set up ready to play in less than 5 minutes from arriving in the venue.
BigRedX
Frequent Poster (Level2)
RockinRollin' VampireMan

Post by The Elf »

Click tracks are all well and good, but I wouldn't be without my visual cue system to let me know where in the song we are!
The Elf
Jedi Poster
Posts: 19938 Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Post by Drew Stephenson »

The Elf wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 5:53 pm Click tracks are all well and good, but I wouldn't be without my visual cue system to let me know where in the song we are!

I'm the songwriter and the lead singer, we're wherever I say we are! :D
Drew Stephenson
Jedi Poster
Posts: 24446 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
(The forumuser formerly known as Blinddrew)
Ignore the post count, I still have no idea what I'm doing...
https://drewstephenson.bandcamp.com/

Post by Sam Spoons »

:clap::clap::clap::bouncy::bouncy::bouncy:

Me too :D
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Posts: 19588 Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2003 12:00 am Location: Manchester UK
People often mistake me for a grown-up because of my age.

Post by S2 »

blinddrew wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 7:12 pm
The Elf wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 5:53 pm Click tracks are all well and good, but I wouldn't be without my visual cue system to let me know where in the song we are!

I'm the songwriter and the lead singer, we're wherever I say we are! :D

Which isn’t necessarily where other band members are or think they are…
S2
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 3100 Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2005 12:00 am Location: Surrey