External SSD

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Moderator: Moderators

External SSD

Post by paulbaggott »

Finally run out of space on my internal drive on my 2109 Mac Pro. I need an SSD such as a 'Samsung T7 Shield Portable SSD 1 TB' to house Kontakt 14 Ultimate (800+ GB). Looking for a consensus of opinion about this SSD drive - cables compatibility, speed, reliability, etc. Many thanks.
paulbaggott
Poster
Posts: 99 Joined: Sun Jul 28, 2002 12:00 am Location: Midlands UK

Re: External SSD

Post by muzines »

Just got a couple, a 1TB Shield and a regular 2TB, they're great.

The cables they come with are documented on wherever you're buying them from. Superfast, but it will depending on the connection you are using, make sure you're using USB 3.2 gen something-or-other ports (can't remember whether it's 1 or 2, the USB naming/numbering scheme is one of the most confusing, non-sensical things in tech), not just regular USB3, for the full speed...

Can't speak for long term reliability of course, but I'm sure Google will turn up as much feedback as you can digest on that...
muzines
Jedi Poster
..............................mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio  | Legacy Logic Project Conversion

Post by sonics »

Do you need the added ruggedness? The T7 and SanDisk Extreme drives are very good, but the SanDisk Extreme Pro is even faster when using the correct ports.
sonics
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1640 Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2003 12:00 am Location: Canada

Post by Luke W »

I've got a T7 that served as my main audio session drive for a year or two and has now been placed on portable drive duty, no complaints from me over that time.

And as mentioned above, you'll need a USB 3.1 Gen 2 port to make sure it runs at its full speed. Gen 1 = 5Gb/s, Gen 2 = 10 Gb/s. The numbering scheme is indeed less than logical.
Luke W
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1540 Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:00 am Location: Northamptonshire, UK

Post by Nazard »

I've used a T5 and T7 with no problem on a Mac for library storage.

Given that you have 800+GB to store and a 1Tb drive capacity is about 930Gb, I would go for 2Tb as SSDs don't like being too full, as both their read and write times suffer.
Nazard
Frequent Poster

Post by ManFromGlass »

Don’t forget to buy 2 SSDs so you always have an emergency backup. I try to remember to clone my master one every few months so mine are identical.
I just had 2 non-SSD drives go down. I hadn’t cloned in awhile. I lost a day bringing the one I called the master back to where it should be.
ManFromGlass
Longtime Poster
Posts: 6682 Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:00 am Location: O Canada

Post by sonics »

I clone or copy my drives to a large HDD RAID so it's all in one secure box.
Saves dealing with multiple smaller drives.
sonics
Frequent Poster

Post by ajay_m »

An nvme drive in an external usb3 enclosure will give you better performance potentially than most of the external usb ssds which use usb to SATA gateways
ajay_m
Frequent Poster

Post by ajay_m »

I should clarify pcie nvme not SATA nvme drives it's a bit confusing as they look very similar but a pcie nvme usb adaptor can provide extremely high performance
ajay_m
Frequent Poster

Post by Guido3 »

I use a Samsung T5 (1TB) and Samsung T7 (1TB) for my sample libraries. I just have Spitfire Audio BBC Symphony Orchestra Professional on the T7 and it works a treat.
Guido3
Frequent Poster
Posts: 665 Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2003 12:00 am Location: Derbyshire
They say you are what you eat but I don't remember eating a f**king legend!

Post by paulbaggott »

Thanks everyone. It's appreciated. I've questioned N.I. about this and am awaiting a reply - not sure how helpful that can be though, regarding another product. But I think I will get one. I have E/W Opus on a Lacie spinner (recommended by Apple). It's a bit slow to load but it runs pretty well with no glitches once loaded. I'm sure the SSD drive will be faster and just as reliable. I wanted to reply to each of you but I don't see how to do that without including the whole quote every time.
paulbaggott
Poster
Posts: 99 Joined: Sun Jul 28, 2002 12:00 am Location: Midlands UK

Post by sonics »

paulbaggott wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:42 pm I'm sure the SSD drive will be faster and just as reliable.

Much faster, and much more reliable...
You'll enjoy your quicker loading times, I know.

paulbaggott wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:42 pm I wanted to reply to each of you but I don't see how to do that without including the whole quote every time.

Just edit the quote as you need. :)
sonics
Frequent Poster

Post by Luke W »

sonics wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:55 pm Just edit the quote as you need. :)

I'm not sure this works on all browsers, but if you already have the reply box/page open, you can also scroll through the previous posts below, highlight just the text you'd like to quote, and then when you hit the quote button you're left with only the part of the post you selected.
Luke W
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1540 Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:00 am Location: Northamptonshire, UK

Post by ConcertinaChap »

Luke W wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:34 amhighlight just the text you'd like to quote, and then when you hit the quote button you're left with only the part of the post you selected.

Hey, I knew that you could choose more posts to quote but I didn't know you could select the specific text before quoting. Really useful, thanks.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Posts: 12957 Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:00 am Location: Bradford on Avon
Mr Punch's Studio
Life's a long song
but the tune ends too soon for us all

Post by ManFromGlass »

Not working here on the ipad.
I get the entire post even if I choose a few words to quote.
ManFromGlass
Longtime Poster
Posts: 6682 Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:00 am Location: O Canada