How to Remove Mic Thread Adapter!

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

How to Remove Mic Thread Adapter!

Post by siderealxxx »

So I have a couple of not cheap AKG mic clips that have thread adapters jammed in quite far without the slot facing outwards... Is there any clever way of getting them out?! Thanks
siderealxxx
Frequent Poster
Posts: 566 Joined: Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:00 am Location: Cambridgeshire
Excess makes the heart grow fonder

Re: How to Remove Mic Thread Adapter!

Post by shufflebeat »

A pair of pliers of the appropriate girth, used either closed or one jaw only, jammed in and twisted.

There's a chance it'll damage the adaptor but probably not and they're 10@£0.01 anyway.

I have an old AKG one that came a bit loose so I decided to take it apart and tighten up whatever mechanism is in there. That was about 10 years ago and I've not been able to dismantle it with any normal tools, including hammer & chisel. I've given up trying to fix it, I just don't want it to get the better of me now.
shufflebeat
Longtime Poster
Posts: 9170 Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:00 am Location: Manchester, UK
“…I can tell you I don't have money, but what I do have are a very particular set of skills. Skills I have acquired over a very long career” - (folk musician, Manchester).

Post by MarkOne »

I had a pair of internal circles pliers that were in my grandfather's tool box (he was a bus mechanic)

They were perfect for pushing down the hole and squeezing to open the jaws and then twist.

I wonder if I still have them or if they went in the great downsize?
MarkOne
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2825 Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:00 am Location: Bristol, England, Earth, Perseus Gap, Milky Way
My Music on Apple Music
My Music on Spotify

Post by siderealxxx »

shufflebeat wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 1:30 pm A pair of pliers of the appropriate girth, used either closed or one jaw only, jammed in and twisted.

There's a chance it'll damage the adaptor but probably not and they're 10@£0.01 anyway.

These AKG ones are £19.00! That's a days worth of heating these days!

Tried the pliers tricks and can't get leverage! More WD40 going in...

shufflebeat wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 1:30 pm I've given up trying to fix it, I just don't want it to get the better of me now.

Hang in there. Maybe sneak up on it when it's least expecting it!
siderealxxx
Frequent Poster

Post by siderealxxx »

MarkOne wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 1:44 pm I had a pair of internal circles pliers that were in my grandfather's tool box (he was a bus mechanic)

They were perfect for pushing down the hole and squeezing to open the jaws and then twist.

I wonder if I still have them or if they went in the great downsize?

Do you mean circlip pliers? Like these: https://www.screwfix.com/p/circlip-plie ... eces/8656v

???
siderealxxx
Frequent Poster

Post by Wonks »

siderealxxx wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 1:53 pm These AKG ones are £19.00! That's a days worth of heating these days!

The thread adapter, not the clip itself. If you're paying £19 for a thread adapter, then I have some magic beans you might be interested in. :D
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Posts: 17233 Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 12:00 am Location: Reading, UK
Reliably fallible.

Post by siderealxxx »

Wonks wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 1:58 pm The thread adapter, not the clip itself. If you're paying £19 for a thread adapter, then I have some magic beans you might be interested in. :D

Oh I got you! Still interested in these magic beans of which you speak though...
siderealxxx
Frequent Poster

Post by shufflebeat »

Hold on, if you've got magic beans to sell you should consider selling to established...

...hold on.

Doesn't matter.

Yeah, don't worry too much about damaging the clip, even if you want to.

PlusGas is often better than WD40 for these jobs.
shufflebeat
Longtime Poster
“…I can tell you I don't have money, but what I do have are a very particular set of skills. Skills I have acquired over a very long career” - (folk musician, Manchester).

Post by siderealxxx »

shufflebeat wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 2:03 pm Hold on, if you've got magic beans to sell you should consider selling to established...

Currently searching the SOS readers ads for magic beans...
siderealxxx
Frequent Poster

Post by siderealxxx »

Well I've tried all the swear words I know and it's still not coming out.
siderealxxx
Frequent Poster

Post by Wonks »

If you can’t get it out, you could use one of these adapters to make it fit on a 5/8” thread stand.
https://www.gear4music.com/PA-DJ-and-Li ... to-3-8/IUR

Or maybe get a 3/8” bolt, epoxy glue it into the adapter thread and see if it will then unscrew once dry. Adapter will be ruined but they are cheap. And only buy the ones with a slot on each end.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Reliably fallible.

Post by Sam Spoons »

⅜' bolt and nut, screw the bolt in finger tight then tighten the nut down onto the adapter as tight as you can, it may then be possible to use the bolt head to screw the adapter out. If not, I'm assuming the clamp is plastic so heat would destroy it but if it's one with a metal base then remove all the plastic bits and stick it into a warm oven for a few minutes and try again. Start at 60-80ºC but you're probably safe up to a couple of hundred degrees before you risk collateral damage though it may discolour the metal finish.

edit to add:- you might need to fashion a spacer if the adapter is too deep inside the base.
Sam Spoons
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 20078 Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2003 12:00 am Location: Manchester UK
People often mistake me for a grown-up because of my age.

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

siderealxxx wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 1:13 pm So I have a couple of not cheap AKG mic clips that have thread adapters jammed in quite far without the slot facing outwards... Is there any clever way of getting them out?! Thanks

I'd carefully glue a 3/8-inch bolt into the adapter, then remove and discard. The adapters are cheap enough to be considered disposable in a situation like this.

And make sure you use decent adapters and install with the slot outwards next time! ;)
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 39666 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Post by siderealxxx »

Wonks wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 2:44 pm If you can’t get it out, you could use one of these adapters to make it fit on a 5/8” thread stand.

I can do this but I'm actually selling the mics so need to present in good form!

Sam Spoons wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 3:22 pm If not, I'm assuming the clamp is plastic so heat would destroy it... you might need to fashion a spacer if the adapter is too deep inside the base.

It is buried deep and plastic clamp unfortunately.

Hugh Robjohns wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 3:26 pm I'd carefully glue a 3/8-inch bolt into the adapter, then remove and discard. The adapters are cheap enough to be considered disposable in a situation like this.

And make sure you use decent adapters and install with the slot outwards next time! ;)

Can we at least pretend that someone else did it and not me?! Probably happened on location in a flurry of chaos.

I'm now down with this gluing on a bolt adapter idea! Need to find me some epoxy glue by the sounds of it.

Thanks!
siderealxxx
Frequent Poster

Post by siderealxxx »

I can imagine this turning into a situation like when the old lady swallowed a fly but with a series of thread adapters getting bigger and bigger...
siderealxxx
Frequent Poster

Post by tomas »

Maybe you have a pair of bent needle nose pliers? https://uk.farnell.com/bahco/l7892/pli ... irect=true I have a pair that I think would be slim enough to fit through a 3/8 hole to reach a slot of the thread adapter.

But glue + bolt seems to be a more sure way, and certainly less risk of ruining a very useful tool.
tomas
Regular
Posts: 226 Joined: Tue Feb 04, 2003 12:00 am Location: Portugal
cheers, t-:

Post by siderealxxx »

tomas wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 5:26 pm Maybe you have a pair of bent needle nose pliers?

Well I've definitely learnt a lot more about pliers than I expected to today!

I don't have these but I imagine it could work... might be a bit fiddly.

I'll take it into a hardware store and see and if not pick up some epoxy and go nuclear on it.

Wish me luck people. Tense times.
siderealxxx
Frequent Poster

Post by ManFromGlass »

There are drill bits with a reverse twist on them used for removing stripped screw heads. I’ve used them and they work.
The question is if they make them big enough to fit inside the adapter.

There is a product sold over here called Loc Tite. It’s like an epoxy glue made for screws and bolts. You could use the product on a bolt or mic stand you could afford to sacrifice, screw it in to the adapter, wait for it to dry, then unscrew the adapter. I have never tried this so . . . . . .
ManFromGlass
Longtime Poster
Posts: 6833 Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:00 am Location: O Canada

Post by Drew Stephenson »

Before going down the epoxy route it's worth trying a couple of dobs of superglue on the bolt you're planning on using. Sometimes that will be enough to move the insert and can the glue can be 'broken' quite easily afterwards.
Drew Stephenson
Apprentice Guru
Posts: 25394 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
(The forumuser formerly known as Blinddrew)
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...
https://drewstephenson.bandcamp.com/

Post by N i g e l »

ManFromGlass wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 7:09 pm There is a product sold over here called Loc Tite.

Loc Tite is quite complex & more than just super glue ! it covers several areospace grade products which are defined by a number.

I use loctite to stop my mic inserts from unscrewing. In this case I think its called a thread lock rather than superglue - the spec is that it wont come loose but it can be undone with a bit of force.

Im just going out to the garage to get the number, I might be some time..

-----------------------------

phew, that was bracing ......."Loctite 248 Adhesive, Threadlocking, Medium Strength, Blue, Stick"

------------------------------

As to the solution to the problem, the super glueing a bolt to the insert and undoing it with a wrench sounds good. You can then use warm soapy water to recover the insert. I think. Probably best to do a trial run on some scrap first.

Its highly likely that the bolt cost more than the insert :-|
N i g e l
Frequent Poster
Posts: 3895 Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:40 pm Location: British Isles

Post by shufflebeat »

shufflebeat
Longtime Poster

Post by siderealxxx »

I went to find the superglue but as is typical, it was old and dried up/dead.

Will find the strongest bond I can in the hardware store and fingers crossed.

Thanks for all taking this so seriously!
siderealxxx
Frequent Poster

Post by Wonks »

Acetone is a much better/faster dissolver of superglue than soapy water.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Reliably fallible.

Post by Sam Spoons »

If it's really stuck glue probably won't work, and you risk glueing the adapter even more firmly into the clamp base. The only way I can think of of removing the adapter without damaging the plastic base is by making a spacer from a piece if metal tube and using my bolt and locknut method. If you are really desperate I can probably make you a spacer that will, hopefully, get the job done (obviously no guarantee) let me know.

FWIW, Locktite is designed to prevent a thread vibrating loose but to break when you want to unscrew it so more or less the opposite of what you are trying to achieve here.

Otherwise Shuff's rawlplug idea is probably worth a try...
Sam Spoons
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 20078 Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2003 12:00 am Location: Manchester UK
People often mistake me for a grown-up because of my age.

Post by Wonks »

But note the overall diameter of the expanding bolt will need to be a bit less than 3/8” to fit in the hole (I’d use calipers to measure). They are normally sold by the size of the bolt that screws into the expanding jacket, so look for the jacket diameter, not the screw size.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Reliably fallible.

Post by ef37a »

I think every combination of extraction method has been aired here except seeing your friendly car mechanic and asking if he has a suitably sized stud extractor. The left hand thread will bugger the adaptor but as said, cheap as.

Just an observation. I have handled mic accessories on and off for 60 years and we were always careful to fit the adaptors 'slot out'. It has only been in the last couple of years or so that I have noticed with some cheap mics the adaptors now have a slot cut both ends. WTF weren't they ALWAYS like that?

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster
Posts: 16987 Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 12:00 am Location: northampton uk

Post by S2 »

What about a Dremel type affair to cut a new (crude) slot on the top/inside of the thread so you can use a (large) screwdriver to undo it. Don’t use WD40, it’s of limited use as a penetrating oil - Plus gas is far better.
S2
Frequent Poster
Posts: 3394 Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2005 12:00 am Location: Surrey

Post by ef37a »

S2 wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 7:31 am What about a Dremel type affair to cut a new (crude) slot on the top/inside of the thread so you can use a (large) screwdriver to undo it. Don’t use WD40, it’s of limited use as a penetrating oil - Plus gas is far better.

I am fairly sure OP said the mic holder was plastic? In that case he has to be careful what kind of solvent he uses. I have never found WD-40 to attack anything.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Post by Wonks »

WD-40 attacks silicone bath sealant!
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Reliably fallible.

Post by ef37a »

Wonks wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 11:00 am WD-40 attacks silicone bath sealant!

HOW would one EVER find that out?! Good job too, tricky stuff to clean off.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster