RX Question (AKA Am I going Mad)?

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Moderator: Moderators

RX Question (AKA Am I going Mad)?

Post by James Perrett »

I'm starting to wonder if I am imagining things here...

A while ago I seem to remember seeing a video of someone using RX to fix bum notes. They just selected the fundamental frequency in the spectral view, RX automatically selected the harmonics and then, using a control key or similar, just dragged the note to the new pitch.

Now tonight I had something that needed this feature and I can't find it anywhere. I've trawled through the RX help and looked at the videos on the Izotope website and there's no mention of it. I can select the note and harmonics and cut it out without affecting the other notes happening at the same time but I can't work out how to paste it at a new pitch.

Did I imagine it or was this some other piece of software that I thought was RX?
James Perrett
Posts: 14344 Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2001 12:00 am Location: The wilds of Hampshire
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Re: RX Question (AKA Am I going Mad)?

Post by MOF »

MOF
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2264 Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2003 12:00 am Location: United Kingdom

Post by Wonks »

Fixing bum notes?

You need ArseX, not RX.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Posts: 17020 Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 12:00 am Location: Reading, UK
Reliably fallible.

Post by James Perrett »

I don't think it was Melodyne as I'm sure it had a full spectral display. One possibility could be Acon Acoustica because I had a demo version of that a few months ago although I can't find much detail on their spectral editing on their website.
James Perrett

Post by Fishnish »

Spectralayers can do this I believe, although as a long-time RX user who is just starting to get to grips with Spectralayers I haven't tried it myself yet.
Fishnish
Regular

Post by James Perrett »

I think I have a work around for RX...
  • Select the offending note and harmonics
    Cut the selection
    Paste to a new file
    Pitch shift to required note
    Mix paste back into original file
It doesn't seem too onerous.
James Perrett

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

You can certainly do what you want in CEDAR Retouch. I thought you could do it in RX too. Make a selection then use the mouse over the selection to get the hand 'grab' and move as necessary....

But I'm not near my studio now, so I can't check. I'll try and have a fiddle with it tomorrow.
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 38950 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Post by James Perrett »

Hugh Robjohns wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 7:52 pm You can certainly do what you want in CEDAR Retouch. I thought you could do it in RX too. Make a selection then use the mouse over the selection to get the hand 'grab' and move as necessary....

That's exactly what I thought too. But the hand grab just moves the selection and the audio stays where it was. Maybe I was watching a demo of something else...
James Perrett

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

Hmmmm...

I can move an individual tone. Select, cut, drag selection box to new pitch and paste. That works.... but if I select harmonics I can't find a way to move all the selection boxes, just the one the hand is over. So it is possible to realign each harmonic pitch individually, but quite a faff.

I'll try and get in touch with the iZotope guys to see if there's a better way...
Hugh Robjohns
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)

Post by James Perrett »

Thanks for trying that Hugh.

What is also really annoying is that you can't use the Pitch Shift effect on just a small pitch selection - it adjusts the pitch of everything within the selected time.

It will be interesting to see if Izotope come up with anything. I don't know if it makes any difference but I'm using RX8.5 Advanced.
James Perrett

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

I've pinged off an email and am awaiting their response.
Hugh Robjohns

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

Definitive answer from iZotope (thank you Christoph):

iZotope wrote:In RX, it's impossible to pitch-shift the signal using selection and copy-paste operations. Even if you modify the selection frequencies between copy and paste, the signal will not be pitch-shifted.

The workflow you're describing could in fact be in a different product, like Cedar Retouch (and even there I'm not sure if they do a pitch shift or a mere frequency translation via modulation).

In RX, you'd need to copy-paste your hamonic selection into a new tab, then apply Time&Pitch, Variable Pitch, or Dialogue Contour modules, then paste back into the original file (deleting the original selection content before pasting).

Multi-pitch editing tools like Melodyne DNA will provide a more elegant workflow for this pitch tuning task.

I would love RX to be able to do this at some point though so thanks for the reminder. :-)

Hugh Robjohns

Post by James Perrett »

Thanks for asking Hugh. They're basically suggesting the same workflow as I suggested although I cut, rather than copy the note into a new file before pitch shifting so that I can then just mix paste the data back again.
James Perrett

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

:thumbup:
Hugh Robjohns