Atlas OS for gamers, but maybe for audio?

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Moderator: Moderators

Atlas OS for gamers, but maybe for audio?

Post by The Elf »

https://atlasos.net/

Based on Windows 10, I'm informed. If it cuts down on the bloat then maybe it would suit an audio-centric PC. If anyone tries (or has tried) it, then I'm sure a lot of people here would be interested to hear of the results.

If I can scratch up a laptop that's suitable I'll try it myself, but at the moment I don't have one to hand.
The Elf
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 20030 Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Re: Atlas OS for gamers, but maybe for audio?

Post by Mike Stranks »

Looks interesting... but personally I'll tread very cautiously on my 'one desktop does everything'...

(Replacement keyboard still in transit... as are several other items both coming and going... :( Royal Mail...)
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Post by resistorman »

Interesting to see that NTLite is still alive and kicking. I used it back in the day on Windows 98 then ME. Anyhoo, looks pretty yo ho ho and a Blow Against the Empire to me, the Disclaimer and FAQ are interesting reads.
resistorman
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2691 Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:00 am Location: Asheville NC
"The Best" piece of gear is subjective.

Post by OneWorld »

The Elf wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:31 amhttps://atlasos.net/

Based on Windows 10, I'm informed. If it cuts down on the bloat then maybe it would suit an audio-centric PC. If anyone tries (or has tried) it, then I'm sure a lot of people here would be interested to hear of the results.

If I can scratch up a laptop that's suitable I'll try it myself, but at the moment I don't have one to hand.

Seems too good to be true. But it says 'based on Windows 10' how can they offer a download of an OS, where they don't have the licence to distribute it? Unless Win10 is free these days? OK I know they gave it away free all those years ago but that was to those users that had a licenced copy of Win7?

Or does this download go over the top of an existing Win10 rip out all the tripe?

Or is it a site that harbours trojans etc?

I might give it a try. I have a general purpose PC which has slide in/out caddies, and a bunch of empty 500gig HDDs
OneWorld
Frequent Poster

Post by OneWorld »

Mike Stranks wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 11:50 am Looks interesting... but personally I'll tread very cautiously on my 'one desktop does everything'...

(Replacement keyboard still in transit... as are several other items both coming and going... :( Royal Mail...)

On the subject of Royal Mail - to what extent is it affecting you. I have been expecting a parcel for over 2 weeks now, whereas usually I get things delivered to me after 2 or 3 days.

Is the strike affecting things to the extent that delays are for 2 weeks or more?

Trying to get an answer from Royal Mail is futile
OneWorld
Frequent Poster

Post by Eddy Deegan »

OneWorld wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 2:22 pm But it says 'based on Windows 10' how can they offer a download of an OS, where they don't have the licence to distribute it?

It is basically a set of modifications (scripts, registry changes etc.) to Windows and you need your own Windows Activation key to install it so think of it more as a configuration of, as opposed to a replacement for, Windows.

It also disables things like printing, Windows defender, restore points, RAID support etc. so I'm not sure it would be particularly useful for some people.

Personally I find Windows fast enough for audio on any system I'm happy to run it on but I suspect it might be useful for slower hardware at a pinch.
Eddy Deegan
Posts: 8829 Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 12:00 am Location: Brighton & Hove, UK
Some of my works | The SOS Forum Album projects  

Post by OneWorld »

Eddy Deegan wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 3:15 pm
OneWorld wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 2:22 pm But it says 'based on Windows 10' how can they offer a download of an OS, where they don't have the licence to distribute it?

It is basically a set of modifications (scripts, registry changes etc.) to Windows and you need your own Windows Activation key to install it so think of it more as a configuration of, as opposed to a replacement for, Windows.

Right, that's what I thought it might be. I have used Windows Debloater, Ultimate Tweaker and they allow quite radical changes to the Out-Of-The-Box Windows and works fine. There is another Win Modifier that involves working deep into Windows using the Powershell, Reg Editors, booting into Recovery/Safe Mode.....I'm not brave enough for that though
OneWorld
Frequent Poster

Post by The Elf »

Yeah, it's nothing nefarious, so no need to worry on that aspect.

I've never had much of a problem running everything I need under full-fat Win 10 or 11 anyway, but if I could squeeze extra performance out of a cheaper laptop for a backup device that would be of interest to me.
The Elf
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 20030 Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Post by Mike Stranks »

OneWorld wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 2:32 pm
Mike Stranks wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 11:50 am Looks interesting... but personally I'll tread very cautiously on my 'one desktop does everything'...

On the subject of Royal Mail - to what extent is it affecting you. I have been expecting a parcel for over 2 weeks now, whereas usually I get things delivered to me after 2 or 3 days.

Is the strike affecting things to the extent that delays are for 2 weeks or more?

Trying to get an answer from Royal Mail is futile

Sorry Elf... a brief 'wander'...

Here in the south(ish) Cotswolds things seem all over the place... I take a weekly news magazine... last but one was delivered a week and two days late!

Parcel from me by 48-hour tracked to Surrey posted last Monday still hadn't arrived at 6pm last night.

Small parcel for me from the Midlands posted first class Thursday still hasn't arrived...

... and two other items ordered early last week are still in the ether somewhere - including the replacement keyboard for this PC...

:thumbdown:
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster