Can a kick drum and bass guitar share the same frequency if the kick drum sound has little sustain?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Can a kick drum and bass guitar share the same frequency if the kick drum sound has little sustain?

Post by armans »

The bass sound I have in my mix is a low reggae-like bass with strong fundamental frequency between about 60 and 150hz. My kick drum has a fundamental frequency of around 60Hz but there is still lots of power up to around 100hz. Does choosing the right kick drum sound (or miking a kick drum sound a certain way) solve this problem. Is it even a problem? Can these two co-exist without EQ if the kick is short and snappy? I don't really like the result when I EQ the kick drum and EQing the bass is also not giving me the results I like. Does choosing the right drum sound mean you can have the two instruments sharing the same frequency range since one will decay so quickly that it would not be problematic for the overall mix?

Here is a loop with the bass and kick
https://easyupload.io/icqjwq
armans
Regular

Re: Can a kick drum and bass guitar share the same frequency if the kick drum sound has little sustain?

Post by RichardT »

You have a number of possible solutions here.

You can change the fundamental of the kick by using different samples. But if you like the current kick, there are other things you can do.

You can use EQ, which so far has not been very successful. Something you can try though is subtractive EQ to cut signal well above the fundamentals - this can create a greater feeling of space. Or you can try boosting HF signals at 1KHz and above to emphasise the transients. The aim is to create frequency domains in which one or other of the two sounds is clearly dominant. I often end up cutting quite a lot out of bass signals in the 400-800Hz region.

In addition you can try ducking the bass when the kick plays using the kick as a side chain signal to a compressor or dynamic EQ acting on the bass.

Finally, you can use a transient shaper on the kick to reduce the decay time and emphasise the transients. This can make a huge difference.
RichardT
Frequent Poster
Posts: 4170 Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2004 12:00 am Location: Ireland

Re: Can a kick drum and bass guitar share the same frequency if the kick drum sound has little sustain?

Post by armans »

RichardT wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 11:53 am You have a number of possible solutions here.

You can change the fundamental of the kick by using different samples. But if you like the current kick, there are other things you can do.

You can use EQ, which so far has not been very successful. Something you can try though is subtractive EQ to cut signal well above the fundamentals - this can create a greater feeling of space. Or you can try boosting HF signals at 1KHz and above to emphasise the transients. The aim is to create frequency domains in which one or other of the two sounds is clearly dominant. I often end up cutting quite a lot out of bass signals in the 400-800Hz region.

In addition you can try ducking the bass when the kick plays using the kick as a side chain signal to a compressor or dynamic EQ acting on the bass.

Finally, you can use a transient shaper on the kick to reduce the decay time and emphasise the transients. This can make a huge difference.

Thank you very much. THe only possibility you did not discuss is leaving it as it is. did you hear the sample I posted? Is there a reason why this would not be ok? The kick is heard clearly because of the attack part in the mid-range so I was hoping to hear why this would need more processing. The bass is audible, the kick is audible. Maybe I am missing something?
armans
Regular

Post by The Elf »

Are you trying to cure a problem, or trying to find one?

I hear no issues with what you have in that MP3. Unless you're running out of headroom, or there's something about the mix of this kick and bass that you don't like, let 'em be. If there's a problem, then fix it (a couple of suggestions already given above), but if not... move on.

There are no rules!
The Elf
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 20026 Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Post by RichardT »

Yes I have listened to it, but really you’re the only person who can say if you’re happy with it!

Of course things will be different when you put the remaining tracks in - so if you’re broadly OK with it, I’d go ahead and revisit how kick and bass sound later in.
RichardT
Frequent Poster
Posts: 4170 Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2004 12:00 am Location: Ireland

Post by armans »

The Elf wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 1:07 pm Are you trying to cure a problem, or trying to find one?

I hear no issues with what you have in that MP3. Unless you're running out of headroom, or there's something about the mix of this kick and bass that you don't like, let 'em be. If there's a problem, then fix it (a couple of suggestions already given above), but if not... move on.

There are no rules!

I am trying to see if there is one! :)

I am not running out of headroom, I just wanted to see if there was another reason why the bass and kick might need to be treated differently. You already seemed to have anwsered. So it is about headroom really right? When you have two instruments that share a certain frequency like this it is not so much about frequency masking as it is about headroom since the kick can still be heard up in the mid range well above the bass frequency range so the masking is not what is really important. It is about the headroom that the low end can eat up if you pile the bass on top of the kick drum in the low end. Can this be a problem though if your kick sound is one like I have which is under 100ms long?
armans
Regular

Post by armans »

RichardT wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 1:12 pm Yes I have listened to it, but really you’re the only person who can say if you’re happy with it!

Of course things will be different when you put the remaining tracks in - so if you’re broadly OK with it, I’d go ahead and revisit how kick and bass sound later in.

Yes for sure. I am happy with how it sounds but I was

a) wondering if I may run into technical difficulties such as the one mentioned above about headroom.
b) could make it sound better without using EQ... I will try your ideas above as well
armans
Regular

Post by The Elf »

I know I'm sounding critical, and I don't mean to be harsh, but at the moment you are over-thinking. I can see that you're trying to be analytical about your approach to mixing, but it's leading you to over analyse everything.

Sorry! :D

Put the rest of the mix up over the drums and bass and see what you like, or don't like, about the mix. Then target the elements that need corrective treatment and enhancement.

In the mix this kick and bass might work perfectly well, but they may also dominate over other instruments, or get lost in the mix. They may overlap each other and sap your headroom, but they may not!

Isolating a kick and bass to determine if they are suited to each other really is not going to get you very far.
The Elf
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 20026 Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Post by sonics »

As above. That sort of decision can be left to the end. Get the music and mix going and then decide if any changes are required.
sonics
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1634 Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2003 12:00 am Location: Canada

Post by resistorman »

The Elf wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 1:36 pm Isolating a kick and bass to determine if they are suited to each other really is not going to get you very far.

Amen :thumbup:
resistorman
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2691 Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:00 am Location: Asheville NC
"The Best" piece of gear is subjective.