Lead-in time for tracks

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Moderator: Moderators

Lead-in time for tracks

Post by BJG145 »

Quick question...what's a sensible lead-in time for tracks being submitted for digital release (CD Baby, Bandcamp, Spotify etc)...?
BJG145
Longtime Poster

Re: Lead-in time for tracks

Post by RichardT »

I usually have a lead in time of about 0.25 seconds.
RichardT
Frequent Poster
Posts: 4173 Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2004 12:00 am Location: Ireland

Post by BJG145 »

...thanks, when I looked this up the other day I was finding 2 seconds which seemed excessive. Checking it again it sounds like this was recommended for CD, but unless you're releasing on CD I guess it can be shorter...?
BJG145
Longtime Poster

Post by resistorman »

BJG145 wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 8:15 pm ...thanks, when I looked this up the other day I was finding 2 seconds which seemed excessive. Checking it again it sounds like this was recommended for CD, but unless you're releasing on CD I guess it can be shorter...?

2 seconds was kind of a default time between CD tracks. A 1/4 second or so is fine.
resistorman
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2691 Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:00 am Location: Asheville NC
"The Best" piece of gear is subjective.

Post by RichardT »

BJG145 wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 8:15 pm ...thanks, when I looked this up the other day I was finding 2 seconds which seemed excessive. Checking it again it sounds like this was recommended for CD, but unless you're releasing on CD I guess it can be shorter...?

Yes, for streaming, shorter is better. Listeners expect the track to start just about straight away.
RichardT
Frequent Poster

Post by James Perrett »

A 2 second or longer lead-in is compulsory for the first track on a CD although the CD player skips that lead-in and goes straight to the index 1 on the first track.

I'd normally leave at least 0.1 seconds before the audio starts to give any player time to unmute before the start of the wanted audio.
James Perrett
Posts: 14353 Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2001 12:00 am Location: The wilds of Hampshire
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Post by BJG145 »

OK! Thanks... :thumbup:
BJG145
Longtime Poster

Post by sonics »

I've experienced quite a number of digital audio playback systems that fail to play the first 100-300mS of audio, from CD and DVD players decades ago to modern apps. Sometimes it's faulty programming and is fixed in an update; sometimes it's a hardware issue that will never change.

Whether you'd want to include a gap to take that into account would be up to you. I think no gap (very common) is foolish.
sonics
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1634 Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2003 12:00 am Location: Canada

Post by Wonks »

Unless it's for a CD, I normally leave 1 second of silence as a lead-in. I find if I'm using something like Soundcloud, that allows me to drag back to the start of the track and play almost instantaneously, whilst if I leave anything much shorter and drag back, the track always starts just after the beginning. Which sort of ties-in with Sonic's experience.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Posts: 17020 Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 12:00 am Location: Reading, UK
Reliably fallible.

Post by RichardT »

Wonks wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 10:20 pm Unless it's for a CD, I normally leave 1 second of silence as a lead-in. I find if I'm using something like Soundcloud, that allows me to drag back to the start of the track and play almost instantaneously, whilst if I leave anything much shorter and drag back, the track always starts just after the beginning. Which sort of ties-in with Sonic's experience.

Soundcloud definitely needs a lead-in, it’s quite a bad offender.
RichardT
Frequent Poster

Post by Martin Walker »

I too standardise on a 1-second lead-in, by cropping the track start visually to the very start of its waveform, and then physically adding 1 second of silence (as others have mentioned, shorter lead-ins can occasionally result in the first note getting cut off in some applications).

I never use anything longer than 1 second, and it really annoys me when others do so, as after a few seconds have passed and you still can't hear anything, you're bound to suspect faulty playback.

I then adjust the spacing between tracks using the end of each track as required, adding extra silence if necessary.
Martin Walker
Posts: 20634 Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:44 am Location: Cornwall, UK

Post by resistorman »

Wonks wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 10:20 pm Unless it's for a CD, I normally leave 1 second of silence as a lead-in. I find if I'm using something like Soundcloud, that allows me to drag back to the start of the track and play almost instantaneously, whilst if I leave anything much shorter and drag back, the track always starts just after the beginning. Which sort of ties-in with Sonic's experience.

Interesting. I'll have to take that into consideration.
resistorman
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2691 Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:00 am Location: Asheville NC
"The Best" piece of gear is subjective.

Post by Drew Stephenson »

RichardT wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 10:57 pm

Soundcloud definitely needs a lead-in, it’s quite a bad offender.

Soundcloud also tends to need a bit of a lead-out as well.

Personally I find half-a-second tends to do the job but obviously this is not a consistent experience.
Drew Stephenson
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 24577 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
(The forumuser formerly known as Blinddrew)
Ignore the post count, I still have no idea what I'm doing...
https://drewstephenson.bandcamp.com/