Best Logic Controller Keyboard

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Moderator: Moderators

Best Logic Controller Keyboard

Post by TimSpa »

I’m looking for a 49 or 61 key controller for logic. Novation used to do the Remote Sl which seemed to have leds above each knob showing what it controlled which looked super useful.

The sl mk 3 seems to have a bit of that but has cv control and all sorts of things I wouldn’t need (and a high price).

Can anyone recommend something that might be better? I can look for the remote sl on eBay but would ideally get something current.

Thanks!

Tim
TimSpa
New here

Re: Best Logic Controller Keyboard

Post by BigRedX »

Something with the appropriate number of keys from the Novation Launchkey range?

You will need to be on Logic 10.5.1 or higher to get the full functionality out of it, but even with older versions it works as a decent controller.
BigRedX
Frequent Poster
RockinRollin' VampireMan

Post by MarkOne »

Also have a look at the Arturia Keylab Mk II range. Great feeling keybed, a dedicated DAW mode (compatible with most DAWs)
MarkOne
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2742 Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:00 am Location: Bristol, England, Earth, Perseus Gap, Milky Way
My Music on Apple Music
My Music on Spotify

Post by The Elf »

Tough to answer. Define your idea of 'best' - price, features (i.e. lacking the ones you don't need), number of keys, wheels, aftertouch, DAW integration, transport controls, weight, other features you *do* need... 'Best' to one is not 'best' to another.

Personally I like the Novation LaunchKey range, but I wish it had poly aftertouch...
The Elf
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 20053 Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Post by The Korff »

If you use Kontakt a lot then the NI S Series controllers are great.
The Korff
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2273 Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:28 am Location: The Wrong Precinct

Post by adamburgess »

I like my Keylab mkII 61. Setup software is really quite nice, and on a touch of any controller, the names will appear in the display… 3x banks controllers per 'Patch'.
adamburgess
Regular

Post by TimSpa »

Thanks all. Will check out the LaunchKey & KeyLab range. Shame that there isn't something with dedicated LEDs above each knob but those 2 look like the best options. Might check out the Novation Zero SL - it's not a keyboard but at least it has the LEDs.

Have anyone of you tried one?
TimSpa
New here

Post by AndyN »

I have a Novation 49SL MK2, which has the LED. It is useful, however I only use my keyboard to control synths, and I only use one controller layout for all synths. This makes it easy to learn where the controls are so the LED is redundant. The 8 sliders are always for the filter and amp envelopes, the cutoff is always in the same place as is the resonance etc. Anything that doesn't fit my layout gets controlled with the mouse.

If I was going to buy a new controller I would probably go for the Launchkey, however, if you do want the LED to show what you are controlling, bear in mind that the Launchkey knobs/sliders aren't touch sensitive. This means you have to physically move a control before the value shows up in the window. Touch sensitive controls are a useful feature to have if labelled controls are important to you.
AndyN
Regular
Posts: 210 Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2002 12:00 am Location: Southampton, UK

Post by Mudbucker »

Hmm, no love for Nektar? They have deep integration with Logic with all the factory instruments and effects premapped to the controls. Of course, their controllers have the usual DAW control stuff...transport, mixer, etc. None of the boards mentioned so far come close in terms of functionality. The Panorama P series is the flagship, but the Panorama T and Impact series still have plenty to offer at lower price points. 49 and 61 keys are available in all three series, Impact also has 25 and 49 key models. SOS has reviews of all three.
Mudbucker
New here

Post by The Elf »

Unfortunately I have found the Nektar keyboards of relatively low quality. But their price reflects this, and they are reasonable value for what they are.

Some of the ones I've used also lack aftertouch - whether that's an issue is down to the individual. To me it's a show-stopper for a main keyboard.
The Elf
Forum Aficionado

Post by sonics »

The Elf wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 8:11 am Unfortunately I have found the Nektar keyboards of relatively low quality. But their price reflects this, and they are reasonable value for what they are.

Does that go for the P-series as well? Have you played those? I ran my fingers across a P4 in a store for ten seconds and it was one of the best actions in the store. That's accepting that most modern controllers have awful-feeling cheap keyboards (IMO).
sonics
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1641 Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2003 12:00 am Location: Canada

Post by The Elf »

TBH I've no idea which models I've used. All I can say is that they are OK, but certainly not a brand I'd choose.
The Elf
Forum Aficionado

Post by Mudbucker »

I've long been disappointed with the keyboards on MIDI controllers. Coming from 12 years with a Yamaha Motif, the P6 was a real surprise. I've grown used to it after five years, but I'd be willing to pay over $1000 for a Nektar with a flagship Yamaha keybed 8-)

That's a tradeoff I had to accept to get the DAW integration. I'm a bassist and former organist, not a pianist, so synth/organ keys are what I'm used to anyway.

The Nektar T series (which I have never seen in person) supposedly has their best keyboard, better than the earlier, flagship P series. I assume the lower priced models without aftertouch are no better than my P6 and probably worse.
Mudbucker
New here

Post by sonics »

Mudbucker wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 6:53 pm I've long been disappointed with the keyboards on MIDI controllers. Coming from 12 years with a Yamaha Motif, the P6 was a real surprise.

I've been trying to find a truly excellent synth MIDI controller for some time. I play everything I can, and nothing has been really exceptional. The "decent" keyboards were the KeyLab, Komplete Kontrol S61 and one other I forget. Nothing stood out to me. For organ use, there are very good keyboards available, at a price.

I still use some of my older instruments as controllers because of their superior keyboards.
sonics
Frequent Poster

Post by MarkOne »

sonics wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 7:14 pm
Mudbucker wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 6:53 pm I've long been disappointed with the keyboards on MIDI controllers. Coming from 12 years with a Yamaha Motif, the P6 was a real surprise.

I've been trying to find a truly excellent synth MIDI controller for some time. I play everything I can, and nothing has been really exceptional. The "decent" keyboards were the KeyLab, Komplete Kontrol S61 and one other I forget. Nothing stood out to me. For organ use, there are very good keyboards available, at a price.

I still use some of my older instruments as controllers because of their superior keyboards.

I thought until recently that it was a rose coloured glasses thing, I seemed to remember that DX7s and D50s just had wonderful feeling keyboards, but since pretty much nothing out there really wows me (Like you I think the KeyLab and the Kontrol are the best of the bunch, but not outstanding)

Then a couple of years ago a mate who I did some songwriting with dug his D50 out from storage and brought up to his flat, and I was actually shocked how nice it felt.
MarkOne
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2742 Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:00 am Location: Bristol, England, Earth, Perseus Gap, Milky Way
My Music on Apple Music
My Music on Spotify

Post by sonics »

MarkOne wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 4:28 pm Then a couple of years ago a mate who I did some songwriting with dug his D50 out from storage and brought up to his flat, and I was actually shocked how nice it felt.

I did exactly that with mine a few years ago! It has a good synth action, agreed. Mine is in need of a screen repair, but perhaps that's one solution. Thanks for the reminder. :)

Another recommendation that I came across recently (from someone I trust) was the Access Virus Ti2 keyboard. Pure class, apparently.
sonics
Frequent Poster

Post by The Elf »

Korg Kronos is one of my all-time favourite key actions. I hated that synth, but I loved the keyboard. I hope one day to purchase a broken Kronos with working MIDI! :lol:

Closest second is Hydrasynth and Hydrasynth Deluxe. I slightly prefer the earlier one, but there's not much in it.
The Elf
Forum Aficionado

Post by sonics »

The Elf wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 1:00 pm Closest second is Hydrasynth and Hydrasynth Deluxe. I slightly prefer the earlier one, but there's not much in it.

I'm really shocked to hear that. The Deluxe was on my radar because of the longer keyboard. They made it longer but used a cheaper keyboard? Please expand... :o

Older Yamaha, Korg and Roland keyboards were of a generally good quality IMO. It's all gone south since the keyboard action became largely irrelevant for most "players".
sonics
Frequent Poster

Post by The Elf »

Fear not. There really is little in it. I just find the earlier HS keyboard reacts to aftertouch almost as if it can read my mind. The Deluxe is still great, but I don't feel that same neural 'connection'. We are dealing with subtelties here, though, and I doubt most people would notice any difference at all.
The Elf
Forum Aficionado

Post by sonics »

The Elf wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 5:28 pm We are dealing with subtelties here, though, and I doubt most people would notice any difference at all.

Good aftertouch is really important to me, and now that you've mentioned it that thought will not leave me... :?::)
sonics
Frequent Poster