Best Outboard wiring

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Best Outboard wiring

Post by Chimera »

Hi all and Happy New Year,

I recently purchased a Gainlab Audio Dictator (valve compressor) and am awaiting delivery of an Empress (valve EQ). I also have an old DBX 166XS floating around somewhere too.

I am on Cubase 11/12 Pro and am using an RME Fireface 802 and a Ferrofish Pulse 16 for audio in/out.

My studio is hardware synths only. I have 8 stereo output synths and a single mono out synth. I have several Samson s-patch plus patchbays currently unused and if I am honest I would prefer it to stay that way!

I plan on using the Dictator and Empress for tracking and mixing and hope they can be an integral part of my sound design. I am having trouble deciding which is the best way to go about installing the outboard into the system. Initial thoughts were that I would put the three units in series rather than separates and use up a pair of in/outs on the 802 and use them as a hardware fx insert in Cubase. The other option would be to press the patchbays back into action but as you can probably gather I'm not a huge fan of patchbays.

I am struggling a bit with brain fog currently (long story). Any alternative layouts I should be considering?
Chimera
Regular
Posts: 268 Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:00 am Location: Wirral
Mac Studio Ultra M2
64GB.

Re: Best Outboard wiring

Post by The Elf »

Chimera wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 12:01 pm I have several Samson s-patch plus patchbays currently unused and if I am honest I would prefer it to stay that way!

:headbang::headbang::headbang:

Why?!

The patchbays are your ideal answer! Wire them up so normalised they are set in your typical configuration, then you can chop and change 'em around in seconds as you like.
The Elf
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 20043 Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Post by Chimera »

Probably sounds hilarious but after you helped me set them up I eventually sold all my hardware FX because it all seemed like hard work :bouncy::bouncy::headbang:

It seemed like a relief to get rid of the patchbays and I was hoping to avoid painting myself back into that particular corner.
Chimera
Regular
Mac Studio Ultra M2
64GB.

Post by The Elf »

If patchbays aren't helping then either you're failing to understand what they do, or they are not set up correctly for you.

Honestly - unless you are genuinely happy to be forever stuck in one wiring configuration (which is where you were, and it wasn't working), patchbays are your answer. I really can't imagine not having them!

I'm happy to come back at my own cost to set them up for you. But it sounds like we need to go through your system in fine detail to understand what it is that baffled you.
The Elf
Forum Aficionado

Post by Chimera »

I understood (deliberate past tense) how they work but I have developed Parkinsonism (Parkinsons caused by medication) and my memory is shot to pieces. I have to constantly relearn all sorts of stuff - hence why it was a relief to get rid of them.
Chimera
Regular
Mac Studio Ultra M2
64GB.

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

By my count the Ferrofish has 16 analogue inputs which can take your eight stereo synths, and the 802 has a further 12 inputs. You need one for your mono synth, leaving 11... and your three outboard processors need a total of six inputs.

So you have more than enough I/O in your system to plug everything straight into your interfaces, and handle all the routing directly in your DAW (or via RME's TotalMix).

No patchbays needed... although I'm with the Elf when it comes to their usefulness in many situations.

Routing everything via the DAW can be simplified further by creating preset routing templates for standard and favourite configurations — or even better, set up the routing via RMEs TotalMix presets.
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 39015 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Post by Chimera »

TBH, I really tend to only use 3 or 4 favourite synths at most. Perhaps I need to scale things back to match my capabilities.
Chimera
Regular
Mac Studio Ultra M2
64GB.

Post by The Elf »

Sorry to hear that. :(

Given your cirumstances I can see it's maybe not so clear cut.

You could try to get everything connected directly to your interface - then you can set up your chain either in TotalMix or in Cubase.

You know where I am if you need me - happy to help you out. :thumbup:

Cross-posted with Hugh, but we are essentially saying the same thing...
The Elf
Forum Aficionado

Post by Chimera »

Cheers Elf,

I'll try and have a think and see if I can work something out but expect an email!
Chimera
Regular
Mac Studio Ultra M2
64GB.

Post by The Elf »

Chimera wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 1:24 pm Cheers Elf,

I'll try and have a think and see if I can work something out but expect an email!

:thumbup:

Happy to help, mate.
The Elf
Forum Aficionado

Post by jaminem »

Hugh Robjohns wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 1:15 pm By my count the Ferrofish has 16 analogue inputs which can take your eight stereo synths, and the 802 has a further 12 inputs. You need one for your mono synth, leaving 11... and your three outboard processors need a total of six inputs.

So you have more than enough I/O in your system to plug everything straight into your interfaces, and handle all the routing directly in your DAW (or via RME's TotalMix).

No patchbays needed... although I'm with the Elf when it comes to their usefulness in many situations.

Routing everything via the DAW can be simplified further by creating preset routing templates for standard and favourite configurations — or even better, set up the routing via RMEs TotalMix presets.

Hugh is right of course, but the question I would ask my self is 'do I want to use the HW outboard with my HW synths in series?' i.e. send the output of the synth to the input of the compressor and then into Cubase, so you 'print' the effect.

If the answer is no, then setting up the HW outboard as insert effects and avoiding the use of a patchbay as Hugh describes above will work just fine. You can apply HW effects post recording to the synths just as you would any other plugin (just remember to the setup with latency when you first set up the external FX in Cubase - there's a box the appears when you open the HW plugin that allows you to measure it, its a simple 1 click process so not arduous)

If the answer is yes, then that's where the patchbay comes in handy, you still route the inputs to the outputs and set up external effects in Cubase, but you go via the patchbay and normal the I/O of the HW to the I/O of the interface.

This way should you want to patch a HW compressor into the signal path before the interface you can do it very easily without going round the back of your rack and plugging/replugging etc. Also useful if you ever want to chain HW outboard together so as to avoid multiple passes through the converters
jaminem
Frequent Poster

Post by Chimera »

Well my new sapele rack unit has arrived from Studio Racks - first conclusion is that whilst two 19 inch racks side by side look great, they pose more of an issue with getting them wired up than a unit on castors. Once wired they will be in a much better position for use. Having swotted up on patchbays again I now remember they aren't particularly complicated. Just need to keep some diagrams of what connects to what and not try to rely on memory. Thanks for all the help guys.
Chimera
Regular
Mac Studio Ultra M2
64GB.

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

Diagrams are always a good idea, but if the patchbay is labelled properly it should be obvious what is connected to what.
Hugh Robjohns
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

Chimera wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 12:23 pmWell my new sapele rack unit has arrived from Studio Racks - first conclusion is that whilst two 19 inch racks side by side look great, they pose more of an issue with getting them wired up than a unit on castors.

I have a triple-bay rack unit. It has Teflon pads underneath and I can move it fully-loaded without hernias on a laminated floor.
Hugh Robjohns

Post by The Elf »

Chimera wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 12:23 pm Well my new sapele rack unit has arrived from Studio Racks - first conclusion is that whilst two 19 inch racks side by side look great, they pose more of an issue with getting them wired up than a unit on castors. Once wired they will be in a much better position for use. Having swotted up on patchbays again I now remember they aren't particularly complicated. Just need to keep some diagrams of what connects to what and not try to rely on memory. Thanks for all the help guys.

You know where I am. Begin slowly and test everything as you progress, one piece at a time.
The Elf
Forum Aficionado

Post by Chimera »

Thanks Elf, its beginning to look a lot like Brexit with nothing agreed until everything is agreed but wiring instead of agreements. I am thinking of connecting the outboard processors to the Fireface as they will be in constant use and I presume the A/D conversion is marginally better than on the Pulse 16.
Currently looking like an explosion in a wiring factory :sos:
Chimera
Regular
Mac Studio Ultra M2
64GB.

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

Chimera wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 3:16 pmI am thinking of connecting the outboard processors to the Fireface as they will be in constant use and I presume the A/D conversion is marginally better than on the Pulse 16.

Yes. Makes sense, especially if you're using the outboard for mastering. The Pulse A-D is more than good enough for synths etc.
Hugh Robjohns

Post by Chimera »

thanks Hugh
Chimera
Regular
Mac Studio Ultra M2
64GB.

Post by Arpangel »

I’ve been through this scenario many times, as a few will know.
I came to the conclusion that after awhile, you find your own quite simple narrow way of working, that you use most if the time, the flexibility of patch bays seems attractive, but the reality for me was that I never got beyond the normalised connections, so I just dismantled them in the end.
Also patching gives you yet more decisions to make, and more options, which just got in the way.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by The Elf »

...but then you're having problems and trying to find workarounds, as evidenced by recent posts.

Do it once, do it right.
Do it right, do it once.
The Elf
Forum Aficionado