Best Outboard wiring

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Best Outboard wiring

Post by Arpangel »

The Elf wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 1:43 pm ...but then you're having problems and trying to find workarounds, as evidenced by recent posts.

Do it once, do it right.
Do it right, do it once.

Or don't do it at all, thats a third possibility, if it doesn’t suit us, right or wrong, there’s no point.
Only the OP can decide, but like a lot of "wallet emptying" things in music tech, you won’t know until you’ve tried, and sometimes, you just cant visualise the outcome.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by zenguitar »

Most wallet emptying exercises in music tech come as a result of not doing it right first time.

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
Posts: 12558 Joined: Thu Dec 05, 2002 12:00 am Location: Devon
Is it about a bicycle?

Post by Luke W »

There's certainly an element of "to each their own" with these sorts of situations.

That said, I'm close to making a start on getting a patchbay installed, and although I'll mostly be using everything in a fairly fixed configuration, I've decided that if it prevents me from having to crawl around the back of my desk and racks just once then it will have been worth it!
Luke W
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1540 Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:00 am Location: Northamptonshire, UK

Post by Sam Spoons »

zenguitar wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 10:36 am Most wallet emptying exercises in music tech come as a result of not doing it right first time.

Andy :beamup:

TBF 'doing it right' is frequently a wallet emptier too :D
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Posts: 19722 Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2003 12:00 am Location: Manchester UK
People often mistake me for a grown-up because of my age.

Post by Arpangel »

Fair enough, if you need one, fine.
But it’s my experience, and I’ve witnessed it in pro and bedroom studios alike, unless you keep bays well maintained, you’ll have issues, at some point, not if, but when.
The way I see it, it’s just more to go wrong, and solder tags on bays are almost mandatory, plugs front and rear, forget it.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

My experience... Plugs front and rear, standard A-gauge domestic jackfield. Three years and counting no issues whatsoever. No maintenance necessary. Almost daily use.

... But I am using relatively expensive Signex CPJ48 panels. Buy cheap, buy twice (or get frustrated and throw the baby out with the bathwater!)

I wouldn't advocate adding a patchbay just because they look good. ;-) Good patchbays are expensive and obviously introduce potential points of failure. So if you don't need the flexibility of a patchbay don't use one.

But if you do need that flexibility the only other equivalent option is an electronic router or matrix system which is even more expensive.

For the OP, the question is really just about workflow. He has sufficient connectivity available to wire all three outboard devices directly to the DAW via his RME and Pulse interfaces. If he only needs to access the outboard units individually it will work perfectly well if connected that way.

The only downside to that approach is if he wants to daisy-chain the outboard devices since that will require several A-D/D-A passes in and out of the interfaces. Sound quality really won't be an issue with multiple A-D/D-A stages, but latency through the converters may well be.

In that situation it would be much better to use an analogue patchbay so that all analogue signal processing can be performed in the analogue domain, with only the complete chain's send and return passing through a converter.

If one unit is used more often than others it could be normalled across a set of interface send/returns, but when a chain of processing is needed (or a different unit to the default option) that can be over-plugged quickly, easily, and flexibly on the patchbay.

It's really just about workflow, flexibility, and convenience. But don't skimp on quality.
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 39013 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Post by Arpangel »

Hugh makes a good point, cheap bays aren’t good, you have to get the best, as he said, like Signex.
The sockets on cheap bays wear out very quickly, I had a friend who I used to jam with, he had a load of those cheap studio Spares bays, the number of times we had to stop using a bit of gear because of dodgy connections in the bay, that would take too long to sort out in a session.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by James Perrett »

I can remember having problems with patchbays in the old studio where smoky sessions were very common but the newer Studiospares patchbays that were only ever used in a non-smoking studio have been fine.
James Perrett
Posts: 14372 Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2001 12:00 am Location: The wilds of Hampshire
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Post by The Elf »

All my (jack front and back) Samson S-Patch (not expensive) bays have worked perfectly from day one to today. I think I last re-wired around 8 years ago, to install my MADIFace/A32 combo, and I've not had to touch them since.

So is it the technology, or how it's implemented?

Come to think of it - same thing in 'the other place', where I wired up the bays at least 10 years ago. Samson S-Patch bays, jack front and back. Never a single problem.
The Elf
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 20038 Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Post by sonics »

I haven't used patchbays in years, but I used to have socket cleaning tools which I used regularly. For studios I hired (some of which were often too busy to do something as trivial as clean a patchbay) they were some of my best-ever toolkit purchases.
sonics
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1638 Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2003 12:00 am Location: Canada

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

The Samson, like my Signex, use sealed jack sockets and/or enclose them in a box, which keeps almost all of the dust out. Much more reliable than the low-cost open contact variety. The quality of contact materials and contact design make a difference too.

Socket cleaning tools can only reach the plug contacts, of course, and do nothing for the normalling contacts. And the abrasive metallic ones can do more harm than good. Absorbent types that can be doused in a good cleaning fluid are probably a better option.

I've had positive results with these: https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/krackle-killers
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 39013 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Post by The Elf »

I also have a couple of packs of those Krackle Killers, but I've got to be honest... I've never used them! :blush:
The Elf
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 20038 Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.