All my works have been published by a scammer

Advice on everything from getting your music heard to setting up a label and royalties.

Moderator: Moderators

All my works have been published by a scammer

Post by Marbury »

Recently I had an issue with someone trying to upload a file of mine to a library. Since then I have filed a DMCA file to have their private website taken down that hosts my track. Unfortunately this has backfired as I got this email from him this morning

"All your works will be published for free on all music sites, and do whatever you want every day. Search for your free works on music sites"

I feel absolutely helpless as its not just my music but also my sound effects that are my staple income. This is part the fault of the library who initially flagged the duplicate file he was trying to upload and dragging me into it as a suspect instead of dealing with it themselves and blocking him. As I had to prove my worth he has discovered my identity and found all my work. I don't know how he has managed to rip and upload literally thousands of files in just a day or so but he has.
Marbury
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1089 Joined: Thu Aug 28, 2003 12:00 am Location: Cheshire, UK

Re: All my works have been published by a scammer

Post by BJG145 »

That's incredibly frustrating, sympathies. :thumbdown:

I don't know how likely it is that people who might potentially discover and purchase these tracks through legitimate outlets will track them down on free sites and get them from there instead...? I guess only time will tell what the actual effect is.
BJG145
Longtime Poster

Post by RichardT »

Ouch, that’s appalling. I’m really sorry that’s happened. Some people are just scumbags.

I don’t know what you can do about it, but I think it would be worth taking legal advice.
RichardT
Frequent Poster
Posts: 4187 Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2004 12:00 am Location: Ireland

Post by Marbury »

I may try the website host who took his site down may be able to help with his contact details perhaps.
Marbury
Frequent Poster

Post by Drew Stephenson »

So sorry to hear about that Marbury, some people are terrible human beings.
I second the suggestion about legal advice.
Drew Stephenson
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 24626 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
(The forumuser formerly known as Blinddrew)
Ignore the post count, I still have no idea what I'm doing...
https://drewstephenson.bandcamp.com/

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

Marbury wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 8:46 amUnfortunately this has backfired as I got this email from him this morning

"All your works will be published for free on all music sites, and do whatever you want every day. Search for your free works on music sites"

Do you know for sure that he really has ripped and uploaded your music elsewhere?

Or is this just a shitty email designed to scare you from someone who is really peeved at being caught out and losing their website?

I suspect the latter....
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 39017 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Post by Marbury »

I hope you are right Hugh as my wife thinks the same. And on the day my new monitors have arrived too :(
Marbury
Frequent Poster

Post by OneWorld »

Hugh Robjohns wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:20 am
Marbury wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 8:46 amUnfortunately this has backfired as I got this email from him this morning

Do you know for sure that he really has ripped and uploaded your music elsewhere?

Or is this just a shitty email designed to scare you from someone who is really peeved at being caught out and losing their website?

I suspect the latter....

I'd second that take on things, there are some certainties in life and one of them is that scammers/thieves etc tend to be lazy opportunistic nemotodes that like an instant return for little or no effort on their part and when they are exposed as such they throw their dummy out the pram and have a tantrum.

Hope things work out in your favour
OneWorld
Frequent Poster

Post by Marbury »

I'd second that take on things, there are some certainties in life and one of them is that scammers/thieves etc tend to be lazy opportunistic nemotodes that like an instant return for little or no effort on their part and when they are exposed as such they throw their dummy out the pram and have a tantrum.

Hope things work out in your favour

Thanks for the moral support. I sincerely hope so too.

The library he tried to upload my work to have taken it to their rights and clearances team for advice (I sent them the email threat I received) I imagine they are doing this as they probably feel slightly responsible for not believing me in the first place before I became identified to him.
Marbury
Frequent Poster

Post by Marbury »

As he has identified himself as a copyright thief I thought it my duty to publish his site which is live again after the website made him take down my track.

reemomusic.com

Edit - I have prevented the link from being clickable which could act in the owner's favour by making it more visible in a search engine. Anyone interested can enter the address in their browser - JP
Last edited by James Perrett on Sun Jan 29, 2023 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed clickable link
Marbury
Frequent Poster

Post by muzines »

Why are these sounds free?

Our project benefits teachers, students, faculty, and starving artist. They couldn’t afford to buy them so we are forced to give them away for free. 🙂

The Royalty Free Sounds section consist of Creative Commons and Public Domain works

The owners of SoundBible.com were taught to share by their parents. Isn’t that what your parents taught you?
Because Free is way cooler than Fee. That one letter “r” makes a world of difference

Hmm... yep, sounds totally legit. :headbang:
muzines
Jedi Poster
..............................mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio  | Legacy Logic Project Conversion

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

Nice that their parents taught them to share. Shame they didn't also teach them not to steal... :roll::headbang::protest:
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 39017 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Post by RichardT »

The contact email relates to an Egyptian pharmaceutical company. It's not quite their real email, but very close.

Using Whois, the registered address is a virtual office registered at Kalkofnsvegur 2, Rekyavik.

I checked whether there are any trademarks in the music production category for Reemo (this can be easier to take action on than copyright infringements) but unfortunately there aren't any.
RichardT
Frequent Poster
Posts: 4187 Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2004 12:00 am Location: Ireland

Post by awjoe »

@ Hugh -

Exactly. Self-congratulatory moral posturing on the part of a scoundrel is really irritating.
awjoe
Frequent Poster
I long for the days when I knew what nostalgia was.

Post by Adam Artman »

I'm so so sorry for this.
This has always been my biggest fear.
I don't say that my musics are very amazing but they are precious to me and I have worked hard for them for days and months.
And I'm still really afraid to send them to someone else for mixing and mastering.
One of the reasons I haven't been able to publish anything yet is because I'm too scared.
I hope your problem will be solved my friend. I understand you completely.
I really wonder sometimes what happens when some of us humans get to this level of evil.
I don't know why the spirit of chivalry is over.
Adam Artman
Regular
Posts: 176 Joined: Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:54 pm Location: Iran
Silent when music is playing...It's Holy